• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Leaked Photos Give Potential Look at Live-Action Ghost in the Shell's Section 9 Task Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vision33r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
I can't believe that... the most Western looking character in the series is played by an Asian guy and (one of) the most Asian looking characters is played by a White woman. Sad I think Ishikawa is the best casted, which isn't saying much.

Because in Gits the western folks are less important characters while the Japanese ones are the leads. Here in America, it's obvious who they need to cast to get by Hollywood standards.

I just don't get why they don't just make the movie based on the anime but not try to clone it.

It's stupid to see Western actors with the Japanese names. A repeat of Kung Fu of the TV series.

It's confirmation of the trend that Hollywood lost their creativity over a decade ago. Every movie is borrowed or licensed ideas from other countries or franchises.
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Those googly eyes Laughing

What the hell did Batou just see?

The major look fine

Togusa is way too old, he should be early/mid 30, not late 40!

They look like googly eyes because of the filter. Imagine them as red with a metallic outline and they probably look fine.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
These guys are getting really desperate. Making a few actors look like rudimentary cosplays of the characters is not going to turn around the negativity surrounding the movie.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Most of them look fine, except that Togusa looks like he would be Togusa's father. Togusa is supposed to be the youngest member of the team, FFS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
BWAHAHA SAITO HAS GOOGLY EYES
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
Because in Gits the western folks are less important characters while the Japanese ones are the leads. Here in America, it's obvious who they need to cast to get by Hollywood standards.

Putting aside the fact the Major is the lead, aren't Togusa and Batou white? They're easily the second and third most recurring characters after Motoko. Even in episodes of her absence she's usually replaced with Togusa helming the narration, also he's the main character in Solid State Society.

spoiler[Not to say there isn't racism in this movie; just that it's about as staunch as anything else Hollywood spits out.]
Gidam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
Togusa has usually been depicted as the greenest if not the youngest member of Section 9, which allowed him to function either as a point of view character or an excuse for exposition. The older look makes me wonder if they intend to change his characterization much...

I think this is Hollywood doing their Hollywood thing.
Togusa has also been portrayed as the member with least cyber parts and using a Mateba revolver. So it he basically like an old school detective.

Some genius over there must've gone, " Why dont we make him into an old man that hates technology! Since he has little cyber upgrades and uses a revolver? This stuff writes itself!"

Anyway, Boma is supposed to be this huge dude, this guy looks the opposite. Dont understand why he isnt bald. Freaking get Terry Crews, if he was going to be a black actor.

Saito, he's ok, should have shorter hair.

Batou, doesnt have cyber eyes but his normal eyes look like they are dead anyway. That picture makes him look like an action figure.

Motoko, cant see the color of the hair, hope it gets some color.

Aramaki, not bald but it's Beat so i let it pass. What is up with not matching the hair styles in this movie?

Togusa and Ishikawa seem to have switched ages. Togusa is supposed to be young and Ishikawa is supposed to be old.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Gidam wrote:
azabaro wrote:
Togusa has usually been depicted as the greenest if not the youngest member of Section 9, which allowed him to function either as a point of view character or an excuse for exposition. The older look makes me wonder if they intend to change his characterization much...

I think this is Hollywood doing their Hollywood thing.
Togusa has also been portrayed as the member with least cyber parts and using a Mateba revolver. So it he basically like an old school detective.

Some genius over there must've gone, " Why dont we make him into an old man that hates technology! Since he has little cyber upgrades and uses a revolver? This stuff writes itself!"

Anyway, Boma is supposed to be this huge dude, this guy looks the opposite. Dont understand why he isnt bald. Freaking get Terry Crews, if he was going to be a black actor.

Saito, he's ok, should have shorter hair.

Batou, doesnt have cyber eyes but his normal eyes look like they are dead anyway. That picture makes him look like an action figure.

Motoko, cant see the color of the hair, hope it gets some color.

Aramaki, not bald but it's Beat so i let it pass. What is up with not matching the hair styles in this movie?

Togusa and Ishikawa seem to have switched ages. Togusa is supposed to be young and Ishikawa is supposed to be old.

I think wanting a live action film to maintain the hairstyles of anime characters is a bit much to ask for, even if GITS is a bit more on the realistic end of the spectrum.

Well anyway it's nice to see some diversity in Hollywood for once, some of the casting is better than others but at least it isn't all white guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Fatt_One wrote:
Well anyway it's nice to see some diversity in Hollywood for once, some of the casting is better than others but at least it isn't all white guys.

That seems like a backhanded compliment given the situation.
msvitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
This movie shouldn't be made.

What every live action hater says
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the only thing you can think of with Borma is this. But overall, it's starting to look better than expected.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Borma looks like that dude that pops out his own eyes
Gidam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Fatt_One wrote:

I think wanting a live action film to maintain the hairstyles of anime characters is a bit much to ask for, even if GITS is a bit more on the realistic end of the spectrum.

Even with GiTS?

Boma bald, Saito shorter hair, Ishikawa more hair, Aramaki bald crown is too much to do?

That's too much?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Gidam wrote:
Even with GiTS?

Boma bald, Saito shorter hair, Ishikawa more hair, Aramaki bald crown is too much to do?

That's too much?

Most changes in Hollywood adaptions are not because they are unable to do something properly but because they want to. Arbitrary changes are extremely common. Whether it's because they don't want it to be seen as unrealistic or they think they can do a better job.

-Stuart Smith
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
So bizarre. And of course the best ones are the ones that stayed Asian. Beat Takeshi legit. Saitou looks good too. But Togusa looks about 150-20 years too old
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4