• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime Series to Help You Relive Your Goth Phase

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Also, Goth showed up in the 80s. There was always a few students in each school into it. But it was much more of a sub-culture. It wasn't as well known as it was in the 90s. It was particularly popular with Catholics.

Oh, it was present in the Midwest in the late '80s, too. In my high school days I had a female classmate who, in retrospect, went Goth her junior year, and this was at a high school in an area which was much more conservative than trendy. But Lynzee was pretty specific about when it hit the big-time and where.

And for those proposing other options: sure, some of those are genuinely Gothic, but do (for example) Vampire Knight or Witch Hunter Robin beat out any of the titles on this list for how strongly they embody Gothic flavor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treiz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
No Witch Hunter Robin?

THIS! WTF?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... I think a title like Witch Hunter Robin or Vampire Knight would fit a lot better than xxxHolic Kei, as I never really got a "goth" feeling from the latter, but I guess what do I know? XP

I really wish xxxHolic Kei could finally get a stateside release, as well as the OVAs. At this point, I'd be happy with a barebones sub-only release if it meant actually having it in my collection. It stinks that Funi hasn't decided to get the rights, as I thought that it and the OVAs were stronger in story and animation compared to the first series, plus the OVAs have some elements to them that were essential to understanding certain elements in the Tsubasa OVAs that Funi did release.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The OVA of Vampire Princess Miyu is much more emotional than the TV show, consideringspoiler[ Miyu's shock and despair of finding out that she was destined to live as a vampire.]

{Edit}: Use spoiler tags please. I edited your post ~ Psycho 101

Edit: My sincere apologies, Psycho. Embarassed I'll be more careful with the spoilers.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
In a comedic fashion, I'd recommend The Wallflower. It's all romantic comedy, but I guess you could say it's like reliving your "pathetic" goth past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if goth or wannabe-goth but vampire Knight is what comes to mind.
My cousin seems to think she's a goth at the moment and she loveeeesss Vampire Knight. The red eyes, angsty romance, lowkey blood...Yeah, it gets my vote.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Lament of the Lamb is such a great overlooked OVA almost nobody has seen. I'm honestly surprised to see it on here. Why no Requiem from the Darkness on this list though? Then again, what the heck do I know about Goth Razz
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Gosick should be on the list because at least it has a goth loli character (it's literally Gothic in Japanese) even if it isn't gothic as defined in the header of the column.

This argument is literally the antithesis of what the column is about and why the header is there. A gazillion shows have a Goth-loli. But they aren't gothic. Gosick, Dantalian, Witch Hunter Robin, and Ergo Proxy were all on my short list but ended up only being "goth" in style and not in substance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Funny that this list was made. I was just thinking about Vampire Princess My a few days ago and it shows up on this list.

Sadly I can't think of anything Gothic in anime because there are shows I don't watch.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And for those proposing other options: sure, some of those are genuinely Gothic, but do (for example) Vampire Knight or Witch Hunter Robin beat out any of the titles on this list for how strongly they embody Gothic flavor?

I think Shiki outdoes xxxHolic:Kei, but that's based solely on xxxHolic, since I haven't seen Kei. The premise described didn't sound like much of a departure, aside from the spider theme. And I never really thought of Trinity Blood as goth, because it never struck me as depressive enough.

Along with all the other goth trappings I mentioned, Shiki also has those eyes (and the pale skin), which are totally goth. And the gothic title font! Wink "These are shows with a preoccupation with tragedy, the beauty of death, and the romanticism of the macabre." Perfect description of Shiki.

Btw, Nightwalker is pretty goth, when it's not being a comedy or police procedural. Both Nightwalker and Shiki have themes by Buck Tick, so hell, they're halfway to Gothland on that alone. Wink

At any rate, I rarely bring up titles as replacements for the List, just as additions.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
I'm currently rewatching Gilgamesh, a show animated in a style I like to call, Gothic Ugly.That's definitely a seventh for the list.

Seconded. How is Gilgamesh not in this list?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'll add Shiki to my To-Watch list. You bringing up Nightwalker reminded me of another title that might have fit: Darkside Blues. But it's been a long time since I watched it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
@ octopodie: if you haven't seen it, that could explain the omission. Do watch it and let us know what you think. It's a great series, regardless of how one classifies it. Personally, I don't think anime gets much more gothic than this, style-wise, without actually being Vampire Hunter D:

Btw, the blog I snagged that pic from has more images to whet your curiosity in an article (Mar 16) comparing Shiki to Beowulf of all things. I'm honestly not familiar enough with the latter to say if the analysis holds water or not, but I though you might be interested.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting. I read Beowulf in college so I'll keep that in mind when I tune in.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ 55 series isn't enough choices (really, 55?!!)? Smile There's no add your own option because they've already added everything that qualifies. Given the 1-a-month release schedule, the omission of Zaregoto is probably not an oversight.

I dunno about Zaregoto, but they forgot one important anime starting this fall: Pokémon Sun & Moon. How does that not qualify for Fall 2016 anime some people may look forward to? Though, looking at the reactions to what was published about it so far, not many people really looking forward to it, but still, it should be on the list. Not that I would vote for it.

I only really have 2 anime I am looking forward this Fall, Bungou Stray Dogs and Digimon Universe. I may enjoy some of the others, but I can't really tell I am looking forward to them, honestly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4