• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kizumonogatari Part 2: Nekketsu

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KozySauce

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Simply put, it's an artistic decision that is trying to convey a Film Noir atmosphere, which works for this story..

So, red and black are supposed to be the main colours of this type of movie? And I assume french was used to hint at "film noir" even more (because of the use of french words in the expression)?

It would have been certainly more clear and effective by recreating this kind of "atmosphere".

PS: now that I think about it, I first thought it was a reference to Stendhal's "Le rouge et le noir" (but I discard the idea because I couldn't see any connection)

http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/5325/what-do-the-black-and-red-scenes-mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJvr_TWofRc
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I know this is an old thread so who knows if anyone will even see this, but I just wanted to thank the commenters here who convinced me to give this series another shot. I have now watched through the entirety of the television series and OVA's and I think it's great. Maybe barring Nisemonogatari, I found that to be just as underwhelming as most had told me it would be, aside from the typically gorgeous production values. I'm not exactly sure what changed inside me in these last four years that made me able to enjoy this series so much more, perhaps it's my heightened understanding of tropes and references due to watching a lot more anime. But whatever the reason, everything just worked for me this time around, even the ridiculous fanservice. It's definitely a very unique series, I think my experience with it is proof that it really is an acquired taste, and definitely not a beginner's anime, that's for damn sure. But once you do find yourself able to get behind it, it's some of the coolest shit you've ever seen in anime. Now that I've finished everything else, I'm finally going full circle and moving onto the Kizu films, where this all started.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
^You're welcome and thank you for giving the franchise another shot, even the part you had most trouble with. I'm glad you enjoyed it (aside from Nise). Yeah I probably isn't the first anime I would introduce someone to the medium with, but it is an excellent franchise nonetheless.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
@Jayhosh I don't think I was one of the ones who helped convince you, but just wanted you to know I'm happy you gave it another shot and thoroughly enjoyed it. And that I saw your post. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2