• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Games' Trailer Confirms Starters' Final Evolutions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Incineroar is truthfully the worst final starter evolution yet (by design). I don't understand what they see in making these strange humanoid abominations.

This one is the worst, because it really looks like it was pulled straight out of an 80s humanoid animal action cartoon. It is so cheesy and just bad... They could have done so much better with Litten.

With that said, casting aside the negativity, I'm fine with the other two starters. Rowlet's evolution is pretty neat. Popplio's is fine. Might grow on me.

Thankfully I won't even have to see much of Incineroar since I choose the water starter and will thus only otherwise see the grass starter in-game.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Incineroar scares me Shocked
What happened to the cute kitten

Push-Ups, Sit-Ups and A lot of juice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm just trying to figure out which wrestler to homage in naming my starter.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
What's the point of celebrating that it's not Fire/Fighting when it's still very obviously meant to be a fighter?

If you remember what Dark type is in the Japanese version you'd get the joke of it's design why it's second typing is Dark and not Fighting.

Exalted Incarnate wrote:
They ruined the fire Pokémons evolution. I was hopeing it would end up with four legs and more like a panther covered in fire rather than a cat humanoid.

.....We already have Pyroar. It's body isn't covered in flame but it's still more or less close to what you expected.

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I think the DP remakes will happen in Gen8 when Pokémon goes to Switch. I feel like Gen 7 will be like Gen 5 and they'll release sequel games before the jump. Can't see them releasing two remakes on the 3DS.

Can't see them not putting any potential remakes of D&P on the Switch nor can I see them making sequels to Sun & Moon unless Sun & Moon has a story that would justify making a sequel in the first place.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I was expecting Incineroar to continue the traditional staple of Fire/Fighting, but I was surprised to learn that it's Fire/Dark, breaking the trend. Surprised It's a refreshing twist!

You mean besides Delphox?

Revolutionary wrote:
Incineroar is truthfully the worst final starter evolution yet (by design). I don't understand what they see in making these strange humanoid abominations.

Because apparently they're only supposed to make Pokemon look exclusively like animals even when most of them aren't.
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

If you remember what Dark type is in the Japanese version you'd get the joke of it's design why it's second typing is Dark and not Fighting.

I've known what Dark-type is called in Japanese for a while and you completely missed the point of my issues with Incineroar.
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Shockingly, I think I like Primarina the most out of these final forms, so I may end up going with the Water starter once I get Pokemon Moon. Too bad its signature move seems to be the least useful out of the 3 starters. It's also cool that Alolan Persian is Dark-type, but boy its face looks so goofy. It reminds me of Garfield or something. I'm so psyched to play this when it comes out. Very Happy Gamefreak is really pulling out all the stops with Gen 7.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Hoodie Owl, I choose you!

So glad I preordered Moon a few weeks ago. This is the best trailer yet and now I'm officially hyped.

Wish I could get ahold of that chanting music piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I like all of these starters. This will be a hard choice for me. Guess I'll wait and see what my two siblings decide...

I also like the Tapu legendaries, particularly Tapu Lele.

It's cool to see the characters from other games as well. Add N and Zinnia to the mix, and I'll be a happy camper!
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I've known what Dark-type is called in Japanese for a while and you completely missed the point of my issues with Incineroar.

There a lot to celebrate, it a heel wrestler Pokemon. My client Incineroar is the Dirtiest player in the game, it will conquered the Alola on November 18. I love the design, it a win for me Smile
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Someone call the Thundercats, they're missing a team member!

In all honesty, I have no problem with Incinaroar, he looks cool!
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

Because apparently they're only supposed to make Pokemon look exclusively like animals even when most of them aren't.

I never said that. My statement has absolutely nothing to do with the people who complain about non-animals being Pokemon. It has to do with cheesy, awkward designs like Incineroar.

In a way, all three starter evolutions are humanoid, but I didn't complain about the other two, because they work better.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I could have sworn they fixed that pointless name change during Leaf Green. Did they still call him Blue in the English version of the remakes? Kinda funny they're still doing it even though he is was wearing green in this game. What about the dub for Origin?

Red looks like some scrawny college hipster though.

Blue has always been named Blue in all of the English media. Red and Blue were the first games in America so that's all that really matters naming wise. People say that he should be named Green since he wears green in Origins and this game, but ignore that in Red/Blue and FRLG he wore more of a blue anyway, and in HGSS he had neither colors.

As for actual news, Team Litten!
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, I already called that Poppolio would have the best evolution on the reveal of the starters way back, just like with Oshawott.

I'm still thinking on whether to have Rowlet or Poppolio on my team, since I'm liking both evolutions.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Incineroar looks fine to me. Whilst I don't watch it anymore, I definitely appreciate the pro-wrestling theming. That said, Decidueye clinched the decision for me. Excellent design and Spirit Shackles sounds insanely good. As for Primarina, eh ), doesn't excite me. A signature move that removes the burns of whoever it hits doesn't help. No one uses moves like SmellingSalt or Wake-Up Slap after all. The easy skip of the three.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
and you completely missed the point of my issues with Incineroar.

I full well understand your gripe what you don't seem to understand is that most of fanbase got sick of Fire/Fighting types by the time Gen 5 rolled around with Emboar.
Most people don't really cares about the typing so long as it's not the played out Fire/Fighting typing that we already saw with Blaziken, Inferape, & Emboar.

I mean I take issues with Pokemon like Gyarados and Charizard not having the Dragon Typing by default but I don't make a big deal out of it or anything.

Revolutionary wrote:
I never said that. My statement has absolutely nothing to do with the people who complain about non-animals being Pokemon. It has to do with cheesy, awkward designs like Incineroar.

Every Pokemon generation has has them though.

Revolutionary wrote:
In a way, all three starter evolutions are humanoid, but I didn't complain about the other two, because they work better.

Eh the seal turning into a mermaid is definitely your mileage may vary as to it "working better"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3