• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Eureka Seven Hi - Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flackenstien

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Eureka Seven was enjoyable for sure, but I feel that it fell apart after the first fourth of the series. Everything about Renton and Holland being at eachother's throats was amazing and finely detailed, but then the series lost direction.. It was all over the place, even becoming stale at times. Many plots, events, and characters were shoehorned in (don't get my started about Renton's foster family or Dewey and his Kids).
It's definitely not a bad series, and I'll watch these movies if they're new canon material, but people need to take the nostalgia glasses off.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
“EUREKA SEVEN AO” was aired on TV and became a big hit, selling 850,000 Blu-ray and DVD units in total.

That can't possibly be right can it? Unless they're counting worldwide sales of each released volume, it seems off by a factor of 10.

I didn't look up all of the releases, but Vol. 4 debuted at #8 on the BD ranking in Japan with ~3000 (which isn't bad, but hardly YOI numbers). With 12 volumes, generously assuming 7,000 BD+DVD sales, that clocks in around 84,000.

Definitely sounds like either they're making up numbers or it's a typo. 850K individual copies would be, iirc, more than Bakemonogatari sold, and in that case, we'd currently be watching the 10th consecutive season of E7AO.

According to someanithing, AO averaged 4229 in total sales, so unless I'm calculating wrong, assuming there were 12 volumes with two episodes each, amounts to 50748.Where the hell did they get those extra 800,000 copies is beyond me
tootbrush

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:55 am Reply with quote
I don't believe anything Kyouda says anymore.

But Satou's quote is great. It sounds like a slight dig at the movie and AO. He knows. Cool
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
Did anyone get the throwaway new account PMing anyone who had any criticism or praise with a slew of insults? I think it came from this thread and he was really passionate and profane in making his case that the original E7 was simply average.
Cille

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
But Satou's quote is great. It sounds like a slight dig at the movie and AO. He knows. Cool

I thought the same thing, especially since the movie was a massive bastardization of everything the fans loved about the series. (At least everything this particular fan loved. That movie made me physically angry.)

I'm still in the "wait and see" camp. Eureka is still my favorite anime ever, and while I'm happy to see Dai Sato and the rest of the original crew back, I'm not sure why we need a new version of the story right now. If it's created in the spirit of the original, maybe it'll be worthwhile, but there are a lot of ways it could go off the rails. It is interesting how they're promoting it so heavily, though.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope the movies end with the DVD cover art from the last volume of the TV series...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2