• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Remake Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TemplateR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
TemplateR wrote:
3-4 Arcs into 12 episodes? So that means, they won´t adapt the manga-story very faithful or?

Where did you get that from?
That's 35 episodes of the original show. That's around 6 vols of the manga. If they trim some fat, it can fit well in the 12 episodes.

The quote from the article:

Quote:
The anime's first 12-episode season will feature the story from the Galaxian Wars to Silver Saints arcs of the manga.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
As much as companies want to make it mean the same, CG does not equal anime in MY dictionary.

Can CGi be made to look like digitally drawn anime? yes, but will the companies spend enough money to make it look so good? Obviously not.

Precure Dream Stars movie has some impressive 2d-looking 3D CG animation, and it's also made by Toei. With Netflix involved, perhaps there's a possibility of a decent budget for this new series.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
ZetaZaku wrote:
TemplateR wrote:
3-4 Arcs into 12 episodes? So that means, they won´t adapt the manga-story very faithful or?

That's 35 episodes of the original show. That's around 6 vols of the manga. If they trim some fat, it can fit well in the 12 episodes.

The quote from the article:

Quote:
The anime's first 12-episode season will feature the story from the Galaxian Wars to Silver Saints arcs of the manga.

Desn't change the fact that these are considerably short arcs that were padded A LOT in the first adaptation (including a whole filler arc with Power Ranger Knights).

6 action packed manga volumes in 12 episodes it's pretty easy to adapt (take a look at dialogue-heavy Mob Psycho 100 a little while ago).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood too, which, while not quite at the pace of this, pretty much raced through the manga until it reached where the first anime diverged from the manga.
TemplateR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

Desn't change the fact that these are considerably short arcs that were padded A LOT in the first adaptation (including a whole filler arc with Power Ranger Knights).

6 action packed manga volumes in 12 episodes it's pretty easy to adapt (take a look at dialogue-heavy Mob Psycho 100 a little while ago).

I never read the manga or watched the anime, so thats why I asked about that Wink

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood too, which, while not quite at the pace of this, pretty much raced through the manga until it reached where the first anime diverged from the manga.

This seems to be a common misconception, but Brotherhood was pretty consistently 1.5-2 chapters per episode. That particular character's death, which was pushed to halfway through in the original adaptation, is only chapter 16 in the manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

This seems to be a common misconception, but Brotherhood was pretty consistently 1.5-2 chapters per episode. That particular character's death, which was pushed to halfway through in the original adaptation, is only chapter 16 in the manga

Huh really? Does that mean the first anime series was just really slow then?
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I liked the recent movie this franchise had. Legend of Sanctuary I believe? It's just a shame the actual movie wasn't a series but paced for a movie. I liked all of the voice actors and actress(es?) too for once.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
While tend to be rather lackluster, or at the very least widely uneven, they're second to none in term of CG. Legend of Sanctuary was literally a pilot test for this : TOEI Chairman Kozo Morishita (which incidentaly was also the director of the original Saint Seiya series in 1986) laid it out in 2013 at the Cannes MIPCOM where hz explain he hoped Legend of Sanctuary would lead to a new CG Saint Seiya TV series afterward.

So while Kado was already rather impressive (this is literally one of the best CG Cell shading TV series I've seen), I expect this will be another level had they plan to use the tool and tech they developped on their CG films for this.

With Netflix's financial backing and the staff behind this I expect this to look [expletive] good.

Quote:
I liked the recent movie this franchise had. Legend of Sanctuary I believe? It's just a shame the actual movie wasn't a series but paced for a movie. I liked all of the voice actors and actress(es?) too for once.

I could see them possibly recycling the Legend of Sanctuary voice actors.

-Sergorn
Winger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
All the voice cast will be replacements (Dragon Shiryu would be anyway) and even Toru Furuya will not be in it. Just going to get ready for that possibility. And we are going with that cringe dub name? And can this please mean someone gets to releasing the other two arcs of the series on DVD and re-releases the Sanctuary one with better subtitles.

"Knights of the Zodiac" is the official international name of the series until today.
In Brazil for example, we still use "Os Cavaleiros do Zodíaco" instead of "Saint Seiya".
The same goes for Latin America, that still uses "Los Caballeros del Zodiaco".
Or France, that still uses "Le Chevalier du Zodiac".
And etc.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
TemplateR wrote:

The last manga edition is cut that way:

spoiler[GALAXIAN WARS ARC
1: Seiya fights Cassios and gets the pegasus cloth
2: Seiya escapes from Greece and fight with Shaina
3: Seiya arrives in Japan and meets with Saori and Jabu
4: The Galaxian Wars begin; Seiya vs. Geki
5: Hyoga vs. Ichi
6: Seiya vs. Shiryu
7: Seiya vs. Shiryu (2)
8: Seiya vs. Shiryu (3)
9: Shun vs. Jabu
10: Ikki interrupts the Galaxian Wars

BLACK SAINTS ARC
11: Ikki steals the gold cloth
12: Hyoga vs. Black Cygnus
13: Shiryu meets Mü and Kiki
14: Seiya vs. Black Pegasus; Hyoga vs. Black Cygnus (2)
15: Hyoga vs. Ikki
16: Shun vs. Black Andromeda
17: Shiryu vs. Black Dragon
18: Ikki's past
19: Ikki's past, first meeting with Shaka
20: Seiya vs. Ikki

SILVER SAINTS ARC
21: The Silver Saints appear; Misty vs. Seiya
22: Misty vs. Seiya (2)
23: Babel vs. Hyoga;
24: Moses & Asterion vs. Seiya & Marine
25: The truth about Saori; attack of Jamian & Dante
26: Ikki vs. Capella; Shun vs. Dante; Shiryu vs. Algol
27: Aiolia is sent to Japan; Shaina attacks Seiya
28: Seiya vs. Aiolia; attack of Dio, Algheti and Sirius
29: Seiya gets the Sagittarius cloth; Aiolia learns the truth about his brother
30: Aiolia vs. Shaka; Shiryu vs. Deathmask; June attacks Shun

Then they fly to Greece and the Golden Saints arc begins]

They can have each arc 4-episodes long. And if each episode is 30 minutes instead of 24, they can easily make a good adaptation without cutting too much.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:

"Knights of the Zodiac" is the official international name of the series until today.
In Brazil for example, we still use "Os Cavaleiros do Zodíaco" instead of "Saint Seiya".
The same goes for Latin America, that still uses "Los Caballeros del Zodiaco".
Or France, that still uses "Le Chevalier du Zodiac".
And etc.

I know sadly all that title does is bring back for me that cringe inducing English dub version off of Cartoon Network/Toonami back in the day.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
My only concern is the OST.

SS still has the best OST in the history of forever even now, I hope they re-use it.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

I know sadly all that title does is bring back for me that cringe inducing English dub version off of Cartoon Network/Toonami back in the day.

Don't remind me
Here's hoping they dub this with better voice actors
Winger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

I understand.

Lizzie_B wrote:

Don't remind me
Here's hoping they dub this with better voice actors

Well, they actually already did a better english dub before, produced by ADV with Illich Guardiola as Seiya, Vic Mignogna as Jabu and other Texan actors.

However, Illich Guardiola until I know doesn't do voice acting anymore since he is in jail. And knowing Netflix's english dubs, probably they will record it in Los Angeles, in Bang Zoom Entertainment or in Spliced Bread Productions.

Knowing that, what voices do you guys think are good for an english dub cast of Saint Seiya? I think some actors could work on the main cast:

- Pegasus Seiya: Johnny Yong Bosch
- Andromeda Shun: Griffin Burns
- Cygnus Hyoga: Derek Stephen Prince
- Dragon Shiryu: Bryce Papenbrook
- Phoenix Ikki: Lex Lang
- Saori Kido/Athena: Cristina Vee

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5