• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Details G Gundam, Gundam Wing Anime Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Finely Wing and G
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a news regarding Gundam G. And yet, it's coming in 2018 in 2-part. Nonetheless, still happy that it's still coming. The original set from Bandai are hard to find, so I'm quite happy with this news.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Naiera wrote:
Wing still sucks Razz
I disagree with that, then again it was the first Gundam show I watched back in the day
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
G Gundam probably isn't popular enough to merit the special edition treatment but I much rather would have gotten a deluxe box set of that than Wing. Can't always get what you want though. Such is life.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Great to get some dates. I'll definitely be picking up the Wing CE. It's not my favorite, but I'll still pick up G at some point down the road so I'm not missing any series =)
Too bad they're not using the Japanese Limited Edition artwork though =/

DuchessBianca wrote:
I apologize if this is off topic but if any one can answer I'd be extremely grateful. This past year it's felt like there have been a million different Gundam series getting released on bluray and it's overwhelmingly confusing to me as I haven't a clue about the franchise. Are all the series connected or all their separate stories? Where would someone even start if t hey wanted to try out this series? Dubbed series are preferred as Sci-fi/space/robots isn't a genre/theme I tend to like very often with some exceptions and the lack of dub on top of that would probably make it unwatchable for me but would like to as least try some of this franchise is there are any friendly starting points for someone like me, thank you very much!

You can use these features as a guide:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-06-21/the-mobile-suit-gundam-films-the-best-the-worst-and-what-worth-watching/.117792

Zeino wrote:

There is also the matter of Gundam 0080 still not being on Blu-ray.

It's coming out this month in Japan, so hopefully we'll (finally) see it next year.

We still haven't heard anything about IBO coming over and it'd be great to see Gundam-San too.

Last edited by Covnam on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I apologize if this is off topic but if any one can answer I'd be extremely grateful. This past year it's felt like there have been a million different Gundam series getting released on bluray and it's overwhelmingly confusing to me as I haven't a clue about the franchise. Are all the series connected or all their separate stories? Where would someone even start if t hey wanted to try out this series?

The reason why we are seeing so many Gundam BD releases is because they have being recently remastered. There is a ton of content available, but not all of them have have English dubs. I recommend watching the Universal Century; most of it has been dubbed. The 08th MS Team is a great work to start because it is short, well animated and fairly straight forward. If you enjoy it continue with Gundam 0079, 0080, 0083 (it is a non essential watch, but it has fantastic animation, art and music), Zeta, ZZ (not dubbed), Char's Counterattack and Unicorn, which is a sort of homage to UC Gundam.

From the Alternate Universe Turn A is the only show I feel comfortable recommending because it is a weird show that has a different but welcoming approach to the Gundam experience. SEED can also be a good watch because it serves as a decent and updated retelling of Gundam 0079.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
G-Saviour, Sangokuden, Force, SD Gundam, 00 TV BD + Special Editions, Gaiden and Musha specials unless you were specifically referring to mainline shows in which case, just AGE and Sangokuden.

Man, I need the two seasons of Gundam 00 on blu-ray, such a gorgeous show.

Ajc228 wrote:
G Gundam probably isn't popular enough to merit the special edition treatment but I much rather would have gotten a deluxe box set of that than Wing. Can't always get what you want though. Such is life.

From the panel on the facebook stream it seemed like they were talking like they viewed G Gundam's US popularity to seem quite high so who knows it might be possible. It sounded like they might be considering it from the way he hemmed and hawed about it rather than some kind of quick we've got nothing to announce right now kind of thing.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Kicksville wrote:
But what else is missing by now? Just Gundam Age? SD Gundam(s)?

G-Saviour, Sangokuden, Force, SD Gundam, 00 TV BD + Special Editions, Gaiden and Musha specials unless you were specifically referring to mainline shows in which case, just AGE and Sangokuden.
Shouldn't 00, and Unicorn be included as mainline? 00 was a full 50 episodes split into two seasons and then condensed into three films, plus the feature film to wrap it all up. And Unicorn, while originally a seven film OVA, was re-edited into a 25-ish episode TV series. All of which needs re-releases in the US because Unicorn is damn near impossible to find on blu-ray and even DVD unless you're willing to pay an arm and a leg.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Shouldn't 00, and Unicorn be included as mainline? 00 was a full 50 episodes split into two seasons and then condensed into three films, plus the feature film to wrap it all up. And Unicorn, while originally a seven film OVA, was re-edited into a 25-ish episode TV series. All of which needs re-releases in the US because Unicorn is damn near impossible to find on blu-ray and even DVD unless you're willing to pay an arm and a leg.

But Unicorn's been released which is why I listed the 00 BDs and Special Editions and not Unicorn. Unicorn got BD releases already, so it is TECHNICALLY available while 00 never received the blurays in the west.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Nyren wrote:

But Unicorn's been released which is why I listed the 00 BDs and Special Editions and not Unicorn. Unicorn got BD releases already, so it is TECHNICALLY available while 00 never received the blurays in the west.
I mean, I guess. You can find the DVD's on RightStuf for $22 a piece, but no Blu-Ray's and no official US release of RE:0096, the TV version.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

Man, I need the two seasons of Gundam 00 on blu-ray, such a gorgeous show.

Ajc228 wrote:

From the panel on the facebook stream it seemed like they were talking like they viewed G Gundam's US popularity to seem quite high so who knows it might be possible. It sounded like they might be considering it from the way he hemmed and hawed about it rather than some kind of quick we've got nothing to announce right now kind of thing.

Interesting... this pleases me. I won't get my hopes up but atleast there is a chance.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wing I can sort of take or leave. I would watch it if it aired on TV again (hint hint, Toonami), but it's not one of the strong Gundam entries and I'd only be watching for nostalgia.

G Gundam I'm quite fond of. I wonder if they're going to redub it or leave the Blue Water dub, which is surprisingly popular (baffles me). It's such a fun show and actually has one of the few decent Gundam romances in Domon and Rain. I'll be tempted to pick this one up.

i for one hope that it doesnt get redubbed. like with SEED & SEED DESTINY , those series DONT need a new english dub. especially for the cases of gundam wing.

it would be better off if they did a redub of build fighters and build fighters try instead. or use the resources to give an english dub version for turn a gundam , reconguista in g or even gundam AGE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I apologize if this is off topic but if any one can answer I'd be extremely grateful. This past year it's felt like there have been a million different Gundam series getting released on bluray and it's overwhelmingly confusing to me as I haven't a clue about the franchise. Are all the series connected or all their separate stories? Where would someone even start if t hey wanted to try out this series? Dubbed series are preferred as Sci-fi/space/robots isn't a genre/theme I tend to like very often with some exceptions and the lack of dub on top of that would probably make it unwatchable for me but would like to as least try some of this franchise is there are any friendly starting points for someone like me, thank you very much!

The best place to start if you want a feel for the "main" Gundam continuity are the three Mobile Suit Gundam compilation films from the early 80s. A huge number of Gundam shows are set in the same universe as these films (the "Universal Century" timeline), and they are the primary reference point for most of Gundam's most culturally identifiable elements (to Japanese people, at least... the first Gundam show that became popular in the West was actually Gundam Wing, which is set in its own independent timeline).

They are generally considered among the best anime compilation films ever made, and they are more polished than the TV show on which they were based, to the point where when there are discrepancies between the films and the original TV show, the films are usually treated as canon.

The currently available Bluray and DVD versions of the films are subtitle-only, but the VHS version I have on my shelf is dubbed, and it shouldn't be too hard to find those versions if your preferred method of watching anime is less-than-official.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a good - and more contemporary - stand-alone entry point to Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans has been getting a lot of positive reviews from newcomers to the franchise. Iron Blooded Orphans is set in its own independent timeline, so you don't need any prior Gundam knowledge.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Wing I can sort of take or leave. I would watch it if it aired on TV again (hint hint, Toonami), but it's not one of the strong Gundam entries and I'd only be watching for nostalgia.

G Gundam I'm quite fond of. I wonder if they're going to redub it or leave the Blue Water dub, which is surprisingly popular (baffles me). It's such a fun show and actually has one of the few decent Gundam romances in Domon and Rain. I'll be tempted to pick this one up.

i for one hope that it doesnt get redubbed. like with SEED & SEED DESTINY , those series DONT need a new english dub. especially for the cases of gundam wing.

it would be better off if they did a redub of build fighters and build fighters try instead. or use the resources to give an english dub version for turn a gundam or reconguista in g.
I doubt Wing will get redubbed. Considering that Wing is basically the most popular Gundam series in the US and its dub just as iconic, redubbing it would be a very bad idea. Plus, if they were redubbing it, the Operation Meteor OAV's and Frozen Teardrop video would also have been dubbed, but they aren't.

As for G Gundam, it's likely not on their radar for a redub simply because nothing was done to it and while it's popular, it's not worth redubbing. SEED and SEED Destiny are likely only getting redubbed because the HD remasters have a few new scenes and dialogue.

I would also like to see Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try eventually get proper US English dubs. These SEA English dubs are just... I just can't listen to them without cringing. I give the actors props for trying at least. Sadly, AGE also got a SEA dub, so if we do get AGE, I can see that dub being tossed on the disc. And I find it strange that Turn A wasn't dubbed because last I checked, it was close to release before Bandai closed up shop. Like, the dub was done and everything. They have to still have that dub laying around somewhere.
lilcrazy07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Chronological order for UC Gundam,
1. Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin [ongoing]
2. Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
3. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt [ongoing]
4. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
5. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO - The Hidden One Year War (PART 1) [OPTIONAL]
6. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO 2 - The Gravity Front (PART 2) [OPTIONAL]
7. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO - Apocalypse 0079 (PART 3) [OPTIONAL]
8. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket
9. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
10. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
11. Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
13. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn || Alternative Version: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096[ongoing]
14. Mobile Suit Gundam F91
15. Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Look here for the release order.

Other Stand-alone Gundam Series:
* After War Gundam X
* Gundam Reconguista in G
* Mobile Fighter-G Gundam
* Mobile Suit Gundam 00
* Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
* Mobile Suit Gundam Build Fighters
* Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans
* Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
* Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
* Mobile Suit Turn A Gundam (should be watched after all of UC Gundam)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5