• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Odd, I actually thought it was a lot more enjoyable in broadcast order. The general consensus back in the day seemed to be that watching them in chronological order ended up front-loading the biggest plot and emotional moments near the beginning of the series and leaving a bunch of fluff at the end, while the broadcast order kept a more even pacing between episodes.

Also, the whole epic "That was a good thing you did, Haruhi" plot about her supposedly omnipotent powers wasn't that great, because Haruhi never really seemed to be in the loop of the show enough to be an appealing character--
She was loudly and bossily unaware of everything going on around her, which made her more of an interference to the craziness rather than the ringmaster or catalyst of it.
When Konata did her "Haruhi Cafe" imitation on Lucky Star, you can just who SHOULD have been put in charge of the Brigade.

At best, the show worked better in the "fluff" episodes, mixing an oddball Tenchi-esque bunch with the standard "Afterschool losers' club" comedy, and only just intermittently checking in about whether they'll ever find out about Haruhi's cosmic destiny, in time for the finale.
(And yeah, that "Acting club next door" episode was just meant to be sort of weird, indulgent and improvised.)
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
Boring coincidence: I woke up Monday morning of this week with "God Knows" stuck in my head like as soon as I opened my eyes. I have never watched Haruhi Suzumiya and that and the ending song and dance are the only things of substance I even know of the franchise. When I saw they added it to Crunchyroll the very next day I was mildly shook. I think the universe is telling me it's finally time to watch this show.

LISTEN TO THE UNIVERSE.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
hope to never see a sequel from this ever
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I never understood watching stuff in non-chronological order unless there was an extremely compelling reason, like with Madoka or other series with a gigantic plot twist that forces you to rethink the narrative. I enjoyed watching the Haruhi series in chronological order and still do. Everything just makes more sense that way. You have all the characters introduced and you get to become attached to them through the course of a little adventure, which allows you to enjoy the "fluff" even more.

HueyLion wrote:
hope to never see a sequel from this ever

WHY? That's literally the most selfish thing anyone can ever say. Not only will a sequel not affect you in the slightest if you don't actually bother to watch it, you're actively denying everyone else from enjoying one.

It's not like the sequel will be a nonsense anniversary thing or anything that's made for nostalgia-pandering purposes. There are still a ton of stories left to adapt that anime-only viewers (like myself) have yet to experience.
Simplo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
Glad they went with the chronological order, instead of the dumb broadcast order. No guys, it isn’t fun watching shit out of f#cking order! And it never was.

Yeah, its way better to watch the emotional climax of the series in its middle, then proceed to watch comparatively meaningless episodes until its end. /s
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Season 3 will never come. The author doesn't care enough.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the broadcast order (Kyon order). It makes the pacing and the plot of the first season (which is mainly the plot of the first book) flow smoothly and reach its peak at the right time. Seeing it in chronological order destroys that, at least it does for me.

As for the 2nd season: I own it and basically just skip the Endless 8 episodes. I remember watching each week, hoping that something new would be getting shown, but nope... another Endless 8 episode. You can only experience it if you make yourself watch one of the Endless 8 episodes per week until they finish... then you'll know what we suffered through at the time, and why it did severe damage to the franchise.

Finally, it's my understanding that the author of the LNs didn't really finish the series, but just sort of... stopped making them. There's no main conclusion to the whole thing. As such, I doubt there'll ever be a Season 3. I think Disappearance is the last bit of Haruhi we'll ever see animated, which is a shame, IMO.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Mealstrom wrote:
And the Kara no Kyoukai movies were all the stronger for their out of order pacing. It keeps you from realizing that the story is all about spoiler[the love story between Shiki and Kokuto ] until near the end. Let me guess, you didn't like the 5th movie more than the others for the same reason?

I've watched Kara no Kyoukai in both release order and chronological order. I think I like the overall flow of things better in release order, and I didn't have too much trouble following the chronology that way (well, with the exception of the events that happened within the 5th movie). I will say that I realized that it spoiler[was a love story after movies 2 and 4, which I think make it pretty clear that the relationship between Shiki and Mikiya is central to the story].

As for why the series is told out of order, another interpretation I've seen is that the first movie introduces you more to the overall feel and various elements of the series, whereas if it was told chronologically, you wouldn't get much of an inkling of certain aspects until Remaining Sense of Pain.

A couple other possible reasons for the series being told out of chronological order that I've thought of are:

1) It sort of spoiler[emulates Shiki's experience while she's trapped by Araya in the 5th movie. At that time, because her connection to the outside world is cut off, her mind looks inward toward her origin, and through it to the Origin/Akashic Record. In doing so, she sees everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen. But her mind can't really process all of it, so it's largely a big jumble to her. In that sense, what we see in the first four movies is Shiki seeing those events while she's trapped during the 5th movie.]

2) It fits with the series' spoiler[heavy use of Daoist ideas and themes (in particular, taiji theory). The first and third movies are more action- and supernatural-oriented, and focus on Shiki dealing with Kirie Fujou and Fujino Asagami, respectively. The second and fourth movies focus on Shiki's relationship with Mikiya. So there's sort of a yin/yang thing going on there. And the 5th movie, which ties together many things from the previous four movies, focuses heavily on that aspect of Shiki and her connection to the Origin (which is analogous to the idea of wuji in taiji theory). Essentially, these Daoist ideas/themes are worked directly into the story's structure.]

(I hope I didn't go too off-topic with all that.)

A little more on-topic, I think my feelings about the chronological or achronological telling of a story really depend on what purpose it seems to serve to tell the story that way.

I only ever saw the first 14 episodes of Haruhi, and I had no idea that there was enough material animated after that for an additional 14 episodes. I'm kinda curious to watch them at some point.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Simplo wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:
Glad they went with the chronological order, instead of the dumb broadcast order. No guys, it isn’t fun watching shit out of f#cking order! And it never was.

Yeah, its way better to watch the emotional climax of the series in its middle, then proceed to watch comparatively meaningless episodes until its end. /s

There’s literally several arcs with of material to cover,and a movie with much more emotional and greater impact. And those “meaningless “ episodes are part of its identity as well. If you don’t see that,than you’ve literally missed the appeal of the show. The show without all of those god complex elements and supernatural bits,is just a slice of life show. Which there’s nothing wrong with that.

I don’t have all day to explain my feelings towards it,so ill keep it brief ,if any other show did this (and no I’m not saying this show gets a a pass,because I’m not going to give it to it. Despite it introducing me to the slice of life genre),just imagine if spoiler[ one piece had skipped to the climax of Marineford in which they killed ace,and than the next episode shows them buddying it up in Alabasta. Wait. What!!!? Why is ace alive? We saw him die at marineford,what the fudge! Doesn’t make much sense does it now?] i have more and better examples,but again,I don’t want to spend all day on this.

Broadcast order isn’t evil ,but its more fun in a “drinking game” type of viewing. And would recommend all,including my friends to watch it chronological order,and watch it in broadcast afterwards,which gives it a good incentive to watch it again. Rather than a knuckle headed way to turn them off of it,,,or worse,confuse them. [/spoiler]
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Simplo wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:

Not everything has to end on a dramatic climax. Someday in the Rain more than filled the role of a strong last episode.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I prefer the broadcast order (Kyon order). It makes the pacing and the plot of the first season (which is mainly the plot of the first book) flow smoothly and reach its peak at the right time. Seeing it in chronological order destroys that, at least it does for me.

Finally, it's my understanding that the author of the LNs didn't really finish the series, but just sort of... stopped making them. There's no main conclusion to the whole thing. As such, I doubt there'll ever be a Season 3. I think Disappearance is the last bit of Haruhi we'll ever see animated, which is a shame, IMO.

Tanigawa hit a decent stopping point for the light novels, but yeah, she set up a really decent hook for more stories (re: the spoiler[mirror SOS-dan around Kyon's childhood friend]) and just kinda hit writer's block or whatever and stopped writing. It really is a shame that we'll likely never get a conclusion to that or any more mainline animated Haruhi. I really want to see Snowy Mountain Syndrome, dammit!

Count me in as another person who prefers Broadcast order.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Tanigawa hit a decent stopping point for the light novels, but yeah, she set up a really decent hook for more stories (re: the spoiler[mirror SOS-dan around Kyon's childhood friend]) and just kinda hit writer's block or whatever and stopped writing. It really is a shame that we'll likely never get a conclusion to that or any more mainline animated Haruhi. I really want to see Snowy Mountain Syndrome, dammit!

Count me in as another person who prefers Broadcast order.

Tanigawa’s a guy, btw.

Anyway, I watched the series in chronological order and still really enjoyed the whole thing. So, I would personally recommend others who haven’t watched it yet do it that way as I don’t want them to be potentially confused.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

Tanigawa’s a guy, btw.

Whoops! I dunno where I picked up the idea that he was a woman, but it was a while ago and I've been getting it wrong ever since! My bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2