• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ONE's Mob Psycho 100 Manga Ends on Friday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So there's a Netflix-backed Japanese live action version coming out but no S2 of one of the most distinctly animated series in recent memory?

Well, that's saddening. Guess I better get started on the manga if there's not going to be any more animation. Maybe the live action version will drum up enough interest or we'll get OVAs or something...
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people are making pretty major assumptions about why anime is made. It's not just to sell manga, especially not today, when streaming plays such a big role, and series can often be very successful on their own. Mob Psycho 100 was a hit by itself. Further noteworthy is that the manga publisher isn't even on the production committee, so assuming they were the reason this series was made in the first place is wrong.

Zeino wrote:
Huh, that's funny. I assumed that One Punch Man would end first as it's the longer running of the two. Also I doubt that Bones would have gone to such efforts of making some of the best animation of the decade if it was only meant to be an manga advertisement.

Why wouldn't they? Whether the series is a one cour manga advertisement, an original, or anything else, Bones would always want to put out the best possible project(they are a studio who subsists on contracts, so having a reputation for providing high quality work is important regardless of the content or purpose).
The reason Mob was as good looking as it was was literally because Minami, in his own words, wanted to "one up" OPM(amusingly, many of the same people worked on both shows).
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
A lot of people are making pretty major assumptions about why anime is made. It's not just to sell manga, especially not today, when streaming plays such a big role, and series can often be very successful on their own. Mob Psycho 100 was a hit by itself. Further noteworthy is that the manga publisher isn't even on the production committee, so assuming they were the reason this series was made in the first place is wrong.

Zeino wrote:
Huh, that's funny. I assumed that One Punch Man would end first as it's the longer running of the two. Also I doubt that Bones would have gone to such efforts of making some of the best animation of the decade if it was only meant to be an manga advertisement.

Why wouldn't they? Whether the series is a one cour manga advertisement, an original, or anything else, Bones would always want to put out the best possible project(they are a studio who subsists on contracts, so having a reputation for providing high quality work is important regardless of the content or purpose).
The reason Mob was as good looking as it was was literally because Minami, in his own words, wanted to "one up" OPM(amusingly, many of the same people worked on both shows).

You act like Bones has any say in whether a second season gets made.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
To all the people who are saying that once a manga ends there is no chance of getting another anime adaption:

Fairy Tail season 3, Hellsing Ultimate, Kuroko no Basket Season 3, Gantz 0, Ushio and Tora, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju S2, hell I would even argue Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, would like to all have words with you....and these are just off the top of my head.

In every single one of those examples, the manga finished BEFORE they got another adaption. Saying that because Mob Psycho 100 is ending that in turn means 100% (ha) there won't be another anime season, is ridiculous. Besides, what concrete examples are you basing this assertion on? Magi? Bleach?

There are a lot of factors that play into an anime getting season. While I am sure manga sales is part of the reasoning to get a project green-lit, it is not substantive to be used to disprove that an manga will NEVER get a new season, because there are plenty of examples of that occurring, especially these days.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:

You act like Bones has any say in whether a second season gets made.

Nowhere in my comment did I suggest that Bones was deciding whether or not this would get a second season.

For the record though, they in fact would be, since they are on the production committee as one of the highest contributors.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
People forget why anime is even made in the first place when it adapts from a manga.

By that logic, they shouldn't be making the live action series either since it's also based on a now-completed manga.

While it's true that completed manga are a bit less likely to get adaptations, it happens all the time regardless. It's not like manga go out of print the second their stories end. The tankobon for Mob Psycho are still going to be out there, and it's in the publisher's interest to persuade people to buy them.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
dark13 wrote:
People forget why anime is even made in the first place when it adapts from a manga.

By that logic, they shouldn't be making the live action series either since it's also based on a now-completed manga.
You make it sound like live action stuff happen over night , I'm pretty sure the live action show was in pre production before anyone knew the manga was ending

also people who use JoJo and Ushio&Tora as example forgot that before now its been years since any of those shows got new anime, but hey you if you think Bones is gonna announce a second season of your fave anime then who am I to stop you from dreaming ?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Whether it gets a second season depends on whether they feel that the second season anime will make enough money to cover it's production costs and make a profit.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
G S Palmer wrote:
Hopefully this doesn't mean no second season, but it probably does. Too bad, because personally, I enjoyed this series a lot more than One Punch Man.

So you're saying because the manga is ending while the creator's still alive... that means absolutely no season 2.

What.

Yes. I don't know how you somehow missed this but anime from finished manga only happens when it's extremely famous or some sort of anniversary project. This is because anime is made in part to sell manga- and when the manga is done, there is no more manga to sell. A S2 is extremely unlikely at this point.

I know anime fans like to play armchair industry know-it-all when it comes to stuff like this, but I'll just quote what Zeino already said:

Quote:

Honestly, the notion of dismissing most anime as mere "advertisements" for their literary counterparts has always struck me as intensely dismissive to the amount of passion and hard work that often goes into bringing something to life in a different medium like that. Imagine spending entire months of your life working on amazing cuts in a show like Mob only for some randies to label your hard work, blood, sweat and tears as an ad.

I'm sad to see Mob end. It's one of my favorite manga series. But I'm also glad that ONE knows when its time to end something. And I am certainly hopeful that BONES goes all-in and completes the story in animated form. They're already producing a Reigen (i.e. best boy) spin-off OVA so the interest is definitely still there.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Honestly, the notion of dismissing most anime as mere "advertisements" for their literary counterparts has always struck me as intensely dismissive to the amount of passion and hard work that often goes into bringing something to life in a different medium like that. Imagine spending entire months of your life working on amazing cuts in a show like Mob only for some randies to label your hard work, blood, sweat and tears as an ad.

Damn man, you too? I guess I shouldn't expect people to read every comment in a thread, but it sucks when the same misinformation continues to spread while you're trying to disperse it. Crying or Very sad

earlier in the thread tis was wrote:

Anyway, it's literally their job to spend months of their life working on things that sometimes end up being ads. To a high level animator working on a gorgeous project like Mob, producing fantastic individual cuts of animation is its own reward. I guess if it's not clear, what I take issue with isn't your position actually, which I agree with, but rather that you're using the fact that Mob looks so good to be your reason that it couldn't possibly be a manga advertisement(it's not a manga advertisement, but that's not the reason why). I sympathize with disliking the connotation of calling something simply an "ad" though, and as much as dark13 thinks so, not every manga adaptation is an advertisement, especially not in a case like Mob where the manga publisher was not even on the production committee, and thus has nothing to do with why this show got made!(I really hope they read my comment this time)
Anime is indeed created with a lot of passion and people need to look a little more closely at the details for each series before they make sweeping statements and generalizations about why and how it happens. It's very much a case by case basis. Mob wasn't made because the manga publisher wanted to sell more books, it was produced and funded by Bones(animation studio), BS Fuji(television network), Warner Brothers Entertainment, Klockworx Co, and Hakuhodo DY Music & Pictures. None of whom are involved with the manga directly.
(And now, after calling people out for assuming that Mob must be a passion project because it looks so great, I'll ironically note that given the things that Minami has said about it, as well as the fact that Bones is on the production committee, it likely was indeed a passion project.[my point still stands though, not everything that looks great is a passion project, and vice versa. Studios are always doing their best to put out good work so they can stay in business and make a name for themselves])
Sorry, this is just a mess of a rant now.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
there are handful of shows I want to come back because they were passion projects but that's never going to happen because in the end anime adaption = advertisement
your comparing how western advertise products to how japan dose it which imo every country dose things differently just because the west advertise something that's like 15 secs doesn't mean japan will to Mob 100 is another manga series that ended just like any other and a season 2 anime happening is the same as any other series that ended just like it cancelled,natural ending doesn't matter ends are ends that's all there is to it,explain why so many studios ( like Bones ) are doing their own original anime nowadays, its so they can make the maximum profit, lot of you seem to forget studios are still business money doesn't come out of a rainbow.

here is a good example animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-06-29/the-devil-is-a-part-timer-novel-creator-explains-why-anime-has-no-2nd-season/.118136
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
there are handful of shows I want to come back because they were passion projects but that's never going to happen because in the end anime adaption = advertisement
your comparing how western advertise products to how japan dose it which imo every country dose things differently just because the west advertise something that's like 15 secs doesn't mean japan will to Mob 100 is another manga series that ended just like any other and a season 2 anime happening is the same as any other series that ended just like it cancelled,natural ending doesn't matter ends are ends that's all there is to it,explain why so many studios ( like Bones ) are doing their own original anime nowadays, its so they can make the maximum profit, lot of you seem to forget studios are still business money doesn't come out of a rainbow.

here is a good example animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-06-29/the-devil-is-a-part-timer-novel-creator-explains-why-anime-has-no-2nd-season/.118136

Read my comments please. Like seriously you are literally just ignoring everything I've said. Maybe it will help if I shout? MOB PSYCHO 100's MANGA PUBLISHER WAS NOT ON THE PRODUCTION COMMITTEE AND THEREFORE ARE NOT THE REASON THE SHOW WAS MADE. NOT EVERY MANGA ADAPTATION IS FUNDED BY THE MANGA PUBLISHER AND NOT EVERY MANGA ADAPTATION IS MADE AS AN ADVERTISEMENT. STOP MAKING GENERALIZATIONS AND LEARN TO READ.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Damn man, you too? I guess I shouldn't expect people to read every comment in a thread, but it sucks when the same misinformation continues to spread while you're trying to disperse it. Crying or Very sad

Anyway, it's literally their job to spend months of their life working on things that sometimes end up being ads. To a high level animator working on a gorgeous project like Mob, producing fantastic individual cuts of animation is its own reward. I guess if it's not clear, what I take issue with isn't your position actually, which I agree with, but rather that you're using the fact that Mob looks so good to be your reason that it couldn't possibly be a manga advertisement(it's not a manga advertisement, but that's not the reason why). I sympathize with disliking the connotation of calling something simply an "ad" though, and as much as dark13 thinks so, not every manga adaptation is an advertisement, especially not in a case like Mob where the manga publisher was not even on the production committee, and thus has nothing to do with why this show got made!(I really hope they read my comment this time)
Anime is indeed created with a lot of passion and people need to look a little more closely at the details for each series before they make sweeping statements and generalizations about why and how it happens. It's very much a case by case basis. Mob wasn't made because the manga publisher wanted to sell more books, it was produced and funded by Bones(animation studio), BS Fuji(television network), Warner Brothers Entertainment, Klockworx Co, and Hakuhodo DY Music & Pictures. None of whom are involved with the manga directly.
(And now, after calling people out for assuming that Mob must be a passion project because it looks so great, I'll ironically note that given the things that Minami has said about it, as well as the fact that Bones is on the production committee, it likely was indeed a passion project.[my point still stands though, not everything that looks great is a passion project, and vice versa. Studios are always doing their best to put out good work so they can stay in business and make a name for themselves])
Sorry, this is just a mess of a rant now.

I did read your comments. I understand that it technically is a business. In reality all art is made with some sort of profit or returns in mind. Which is why I find the people who decry their favorite artists "selling out" to just be delusional in believing that said artists didn't sell-out the moment they got into their respective businesses. I'm just speaking from an emotional perspective, in which I feel that cynical fans far to often delude the passion and effort behind works when discussing their business purposes. They tend to imply that a single reason such as being an ad for the manga series is its entire reason for being. And it's like you yourself said, it's not like advertising for source material is the ONLY reason for an anime adaption to exist, especially in this day and age when anime is becoming increasingly more of a global market. BTW, I appreciate you informing that the manga publisher wasn't even on the committee. I didn't even know they weren't. I can understand that anime is a business but I also don't appreciate it when people attempt to delude the artistic vision that is often behind those business practices. I believe that if something looks great then it's an undeniable passion project, but that of course doesn't exclude it from also being something is a business commission. That's one of the great aspects of it, that people can express their passions through these productions while it also being a business as well as their jobs and livelihood. And yeah, we could get into the separate discussion over animator wages and yearly salaries and all that, but that's an entirely different can of worms.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I believe that if something looks great then it's an undeniable passion project, but that of course doesn't exclude it from also being something is a business commission. That's one of the great aspects of it, that people can express their passions through these productions while it also being a business as well as their jobs and livelihood. And yeah, we could get into the separate discussion over animator wages and yearly salaries and all that, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

Okay, fair enough. Yeah, I genuinely do agree with you. I almost rewrote my entire comment so as to not sound quite so confrontational toward you, but it was late so I just posted as is since there were a lot of points I wanted to make still in there.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
You're fine dude. I didn't take personal offense to your comment, all your points were fair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3