• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Macross Creator Shoji Kawamori Thinks Recent Anime Are Too Similar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
You rehashed Genesis of Aquarion twice(Evol also had a magic high-school in it) and Macross Delta was not all that much different from Frontier, Kawamori. I like you as a creator but pot, meet kettle.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
He's not wrong at all. Too many anime nowadays follow the same structure, tropes and character types. Sadly, crap like that sells so they have no choice but to keep making them.

However
Quote:
"The [Macross] idols were hated by Gundam fans. They always said singing in war was imprudent."

That's an odd statement considering that Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny are among the most popular Gundam series and they feature a pop idol, Lacus Clyne, who has the record for the following:

Most Best Girl winner - 4 times (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006)
Most Consecutive Best Girl winner - 3 times (2004, 2005, 2006)
Most Appearances in Top 5 Best Girl List - 6 times (2002-2007)

I know I was thinking the same thing, wait a minute, if that's the case why was Clyne so well loved in Japan for years.
tentensan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey, the name of the game is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" in the anime business. Honestly though, in my own opinion, just because you see a lot of a genre doesn't mean it's the only type of anime out there. There are hundreds of anime being thrown out there every year and you're telling me this guy thinks every one of them is the same? What a bunch of BS. I find anime to be very different. It just matters in where you look or what you're feeling to watch. Also, anime has been more different than ever. There are a lot of good idea coming out of the wood works. Futhermore, the problem doesn't lie with the anime industry alone. At the end of the day, every company that makes an anime is a business and they need money to kepe making anime. The people who keep wanting the same thing every year and afraid of something different are the problem. When an anime does try and do something different and nice, many people don't buy the dvd or anything when it comes out, resulting in the company or people behind the anime thinking that we don't want it. The numbers sometimes determine whether creativity continues unfortunately.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:

The next several Macross series put even more emphasis on songs and idols than ever, to the point of unwatchability. Stories suffered serious pacing issues thanks to being constantly interrupted with unnecessary and irrelevant singing idols.

Kawamori asks why so much anime now is the same? He really needs to take hard look in the mirror.

I really agree with you here.

I get the feeling that Kawamori took a more hands off approach by the time Macross Zero came out though. So I think it's possible that he's actually already also talking about the works he was creatively involved in.

I mean, Aquarion Evol actually WAS pretty different from the original Aquarion. It wasn't good, but Aquarion Logos certainly was another different thing too.

Well, there's also the possibility that he's just a fan of idols.

Last edited by BlueAlf on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
It is a sign people are getting old when they think everything the "kids are making" is bad, the same, etc. Akira's creator also said he didn't watch anime because it's all for "otakus" now. Laughing

Older people never understand that the younger generation's interests differ from theirs and will always complain about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
I may be the oldest geezer here (50)

Kawamori asks why so much anime now is the same? He really needs to take hard look in the mirror.

I have you by sixteen years Smile

But, with that said, I recall here in Japan the Gundam fans and the Macross fans going at it like Mods and Rockers.

Regardless, I do agree with him, there is so many shows these days that are clones of each other it makes my ass hurt thinking about it.

BUT, the reason for that is because after six decades of anime, the market has matured and the guys at the top know what sells and what does not. And, this is not a bad thing.

Last month we did family anime night with my grand kids where we did a comparative look at RE:Zero vs Konosuba. Hearing their insight afterward was quite interesting, but I will digress as not to stray too far off the OP.

Regrettably us old farts, especially those in the industry right now are sounding more and more bitter, so maybe it is best some of these guys start to enjoy their retirement.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The sheer balls on this man. He's complaining about how anime is too similar and asks why there are so many magic academy series, fair enough some genres are very common.

He's here helping to promote a new initiative for more original anime, one of which it has been decided will be an isekai story, which is considered one of the most overused genres that currently exists in anime.

He comments on how he wanted to create something completely different to Gundam so he created a show about people piloting giant robots fighting against giant enemies. But get this they will fight using singing. Adding one new thing to something that already exists does not make it original. A few years later he then creates AKB0048 which is about idols singing in giant mechs.

He is also promoting his new anime series Jūshinki Pandora. Guess what it's about? It is a post-apocalyptic series about people riding mechs to fight other mechs.

This man has been involved in the production of 39 different franchises (not counting spin offs and sequels) 38 of them have been sci-fi, 22 of them have been about mechs. 7 of his remaining 17 non-mech shows have been about a small crew of misfits and outlaws alone against the world on their ship.

If I include spin-offs and sequels he has been involved in 93 projects. That means that he has been involved in more spin-offs than he has original projects.

So when this man comes forward and complains about a lack of originality it's a little hard to take him seriously.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
He's not wrong at all. Too many anime nowadays follow the same structure, tropes and character types. Sadly, crap like that sells so they have no choice but to keep making them.

However
Quote:
"The [Macross] idols were hated by Gundam fans. They always said singing in war was imprudent."

That's an odd statement considering that Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny are among the most popular Gundam series and they feature a pop idol, Lacus Clyne, who has the record for the following:

Most Best Girl winner - 4 times (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006)
Most Consecutive Best Girl winner - 3 times (2004, 2005, 2006)
Most Appearances in Top 5 Best Girl List - 6 times (2002-2007)

What did you do?! The penguin will go crazy!
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
>Macross Creator Shoji Kawamori Thinks Recent Anime Are Too Similar
>Project Anima's other two works will be an isekai produced by J.C. Staff

What did he mean by this?
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
LOL

Prior to the days of mostly computer animation we were lucky to see 25 to 30 major series in an entire year. Nowadays we sometimes see over that just in a season - I'm fairly sure the entire television series amount released for 2017 was just under 160 series. This point in time literally is the most varied that anime has ever been.

There are so many genres and off-the-wall series out there that if you have a hard time finding something you like for any particular season then you're really not looking hard enough. I mean I do understand there are some seriously tired tropes (cookie-cutter MC, no parents, at school, sitting by the window, harem of girls, mysterious past; thanks visual novels...) but if the tropes are working why change them?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
I may be the oldest geezer here (50); I got hooked on Macross (under its Harmony Gold Robotech name) in the 80's, and then managed to get my hands on a VHS---and shortly after a LaserDisc copy---of the movie Do You Remember Love? and was the envy of my anime-obsessed friends.

While I am a huge fan of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero, I still have a hard time accepting the singing idol obsession Kawamori has. The emotionally disruptive element of song on the Zentraedi, etc. in the original series and movie was a clever twist on the old humanity-at-war-with-aliens trope. An idol as a central character in Macross Plus was fine because singing wasn't actually a tool for defeating an enemy, and the symbiosis between Myung and Sharon Apple was much more interesting and sinister because singing became the common theme to both characters, but...

...that should have been enough. He started to beat that idea of song being an underlying current to all societies and conflicts to death with Macross Zero, and that's where the characters really started to suffer developmentally.

The next several Macross series put even more emphasis on songs and idols than ever, to the point of unwatchability. Stories suffered serious pacing issues thanks to being constantly interrupted with unnecessary and irrelevant singing idols.

Can't argue with anything you said there!
Aside from the original Macross, DYRL, and Macross Plus, I think the franchise is both worn out and unwatchable afterwards! Macross, IMHO, has a FAR worse track record with good:crap ratio and the last series, Delta (AWFUL), did not help the case. Gundam, OTOH, has rebounded nicely and is probably the healthiest it's been in years.

Aside from Macross, I think the only Kawamori series that I care for is Escaflowne and the TV show is MUCH better than the motion picture.

Macross Plus (the movie) might have been the best feature film Kawamori ever directed...

Lately, though, he's much like Otomo. Very much coasting on the reputation of past successes but both men have very checkered up-and-down careers.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
I may be the oldest geezer here (50); I got hooked on Macross (under its Harmony Gold Robotech name) in the 80's, and then managed to get my hands on a VHS---and shortly after a LaserDisc copy---of the movie Do You Remember Love? and was the envy of my anime-obsessed friends.

While I am a huge fan of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero, I still have a hard time accepting the singing idol obsession Kawamori has. The emotionally disruptive element of song on the Zentraedi, etc. in the original series and movie was a clever twist on the old humanity-at-war-with-aliens trope. An idol as a central character in Macross Plus was fine because singing wasn't actually a tool for defeating an enemy, and the symbiosis between Myung and Sharon Apple was much more interesting and sinister because singing became the common theme to both characters, but...

...that should have been enough. He started to beat that idea of song being an underlying current to all societies and conflicts to death with Macross Zero, and that's where the characters really started to suffer developmentally.

This post is too smart and on point regarding Macross. That's precisely why I never bothered to check the last one at all. Do you Remember Love & Plus are the only ones I could tolerate.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
Quote:

That's not really a fair connection to make. I'm certain he means "Gundam fans (when Macross FIRST came out)" which would be a good 20 years before Gundam Seed. I don't know about in Japan, but I know some US Gundam fans derided Gundam Wing for focusing on "pretty boys", and THAT show preceded SEED. I mean, realistically speaking a good chunk of the fans of Gundam Seed likely grew up on Macross. Also, a large portion of mecha fans (including Robotech/Macross fans) made fun of Macross7, but THAT one was also really popular with otaku in Japan.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
If this guy had said this five years ago he would have had my attention. A little late to the party sir.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
MadHi wrote:
Quote:

That's not really a fair connection to make. I'm certain he means "Gundam fans (when Macross FIRST came out)" which would be a good 20 years before Gundam Seed. I don't know about in Japan, but I know some US Gundam fans derided Gundam Wing for focusing on "pretty boys", and THAT show preceded SEED. I mean, realistically speaking a good chunk of the fans of Gundam Seed likely grew up on Macross. Also, a large portion of mecha fans (including Robotech/Macross fans) made fun of Macross7, but THAT one was also really popular with otaku in Japan.
As much as US Gundam fans deride Wing, it was pretty much a huge gateway for most into the franchise. Also honestly Toonami enjoyed high ratings on it, compared to the other Gundam shows it attempted in the US that is. Now a lot of US Gundam fans though seem to look back on Wing not out of nostalgia but rather cynical hatred of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3