• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III's 5th Anime Series Reveals Staff, April Debut, Modern Setting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
This is great and all, but... it serves as a horrible reminder of France’s greatest national sin. Assuming the French are financing this project (like Greece and the last series)... it would mark the *closest* the French people have ever come to a respectable adaptation of Leblanc’s work in more than a century.

Don't you mean to say Italy?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I just hope that when/if Discotek licenses this, they'll make sure the proper music is used in the English dub.

Isn't TMS the one responsible for the English dub screw up?

Is that what happened?

I cannot find a source, but I remember reading that TMS produced an English dub with the soundtrack of the Italian broadcast, which is different from the soundtrack in the Japanese broadcast. As a result Discotek is releasing two disc versions, one sub-only with the Japanese broadcast soundtrack and one dub only with the Italian broadcast soundtrack.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that's a "mistake." Just an inconvenient choice made by the producers. Same thing happened with Monster and other shows where all foreign releases use an international soundtrack instead of the original used in the Japanese release.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Great news!

The Spring 2018 cour looks like its going to be one of the best, most highly anticipated seasons in recent memory.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Maybe after this, we'll get Black Jacket Lupin in Part 6?

But what is the color scheme for Lupin series again?
Part 1: Green
Part 2: Red
Part 3: Yellow(?)
Part 4, and apparently Part 5: Blue

We already had a black jacket Lupin in Koike’s Goemon movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I cannot find a source, but I remember reading that TMS produced an English dub with the soundtrack of the Italian broadcast, which is different from the soundtrack in the Japanese broadcast. As a result Discotek is releasing two disc versions, one sub-only with the Japanese broadcast soundtrack and one dub only with the Italian broadcast soundtrack.

russ869 wrote:
I don't think that's a "mistake." Just an inconvenient choice made by the producers. Same thing happened with Monster and other shows where all foreign releases use an international soundtrack instead of the original used in the Japanese release.

Well that certainly explains a couple of things. Thanks for the info, you two. And here I thought it was a copyright issue or something.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Maybe after this, we'll get Black Jacket Lupin in Part 6?

But what is the color scheme for Lupin series again?

Part 3: Yellow(?)

Part 3 is pink jacket Lupin.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Never followed a Lupin series as it aired before. This should be fun.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
My goodness. That visual is reminding me of Conan.

Quote:
Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress) is in charge of the series scripts.

Please don't be a hint as to what target audience FnL will be targeting. Relax people, I know there's no relation. I just get strict when it comes to CG after what happened with Season 2's production.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Personally, I wish they would either just leaves this as Part IV season 2, or if we're getting Part V, that they change his jacket colour. I mean really, this is how us Lupin otaku identity a series continuity on sight. I'm way to damn old to have to try and guess if a blue jacket Lupin is a French or a San Marino Lupin.

EDIT: I'm still out as for the polo shirt goes.

I totally sympathize with your pedantic concerns, but to be fair it's not like the whole "Jacket" color coding thing was always full-proof. Remember when Lupin wore blue in Jigen's Gravestone? Does that make that apart of Part 4? But yeah, I'll be kinda bummed if they're just sticking with blue since I was really gunning for purple myself, lol.

VampireNaomi wrote:
Wow, that promo art looks a lot more scientific/futuristic than I expect from this franchise. The previous promo art from the initial announcement had a completely different atmosphere. I'm very curious to see what direction this series will take.

Right? It seems like they might be changing the art style from part 4, which is great since every series has its own unique aesthetic, but at the same time it feels like less of a true new part due to that dang jacket color. And the previous visual having the softer part 4 aesthetic instead makes it even more confusing. It's not like the entire show had a total visual rehaul in the half a year since they initially announced it, right? This is all just silly speculation, regardless I'm super hyped. We'll just have to wait until Friday to get a more clear look at the new series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
DopeyDragon wrote:
Other than the main writer and the setting is there really anything that sets this series apart from Part IV? It really seems more like season 2 than a full Part V.

Unless MI3 (or whatever government agency) has a project that brings back another famous Renaissance era artist back to life with Rebecca featuring into the plot it's doing it"s own thing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Remember when Lupin wore blue in Jigen's Gravestone? Does that make that apart of Part 4? But yeah, I'll be kinda bummed if they're just sticking with blue since I was really gunning for purple myself, lol.

It was kind of a turquoise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Is no one going to address Lupin's eye? I mean, maybe I missed a story but what's going on there? Does this "modern" story feature Lupin having a freakin' cybernetic eye? Or Is it just a really opaque monocle and if so, why is Lupin wearing a monocle?
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Or Is it just a really opaque monocle and if so, why is Lupin wearing a monocle?

Because his grand-dad, the original Lupin is often depicted with one:

DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Digging the clever logo with the Part5/Paris

I've been watching part 4 on Toonami and I love it. It would be nice if season 5 gets a simuldub.

Yeah, it's been a blast watching on Toonami, I hope part 5 gets on too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3