• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Laid-Back Camp

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Even without a proper storyline to back it up, I think this show is one with a unique concept that is quite so relaxing enough.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty rare, but I literally have no complain about this show at the point. I like that Rin is still on her own and I like that there's no plot to speak of. It's just a good time all around.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Decided to give Yuru Camp a shot since it shared the same iyashikei space as Flying Witch (as I really liked that one). I can certainly see why people enjoy this show, but it doesn't have the same effect on me. The absence of a plot has nothing to do with it as I know it's a pure SOL show. However, the show's main cast of characters don't appeal to me since they evoke a "moe feel" and I'm not a huge fan of that. Ah well. Happy to see that other people are enjoying it though. Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
Silent_Ninja wrote:
Decided to give Yuru Camp a shot since it shared the same iyashikei space as Flying Witch (as I really liked that one).

Flying Witch wasn't even my favorite slice-of-life show from the Spring 2016 season - although I liked it enough to start buying the manga version - so it's difficult for me to understand why it seems to have become a lot of people's go-to representation for plotless slice-of-life anime (especially since a good 95% of the genre is just as, if not more, moe as Yuru Camp has been).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
Maybe they need a SoL with a male lead as an all-girl cast makes a show "too moe" for them? Flying Witch was alright, but I much prefer the atmosphere and iyashikei feel from Yurucamp thus far.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Silent_Ninja wrote:
Decided to give Yuru Camp a shot since it shared the same iyashikei space as Flying Witch (as I really liked that one).

Flying Witch wasn't even my favorite slice-of-life show from the Spring 2016 season - although I liked it enough to start buying the manga version - so it's difficult for me to understand why it seems to have become a lot of people's go-to representation for plotless slice-of-life anime (especially since a good 95% of the genre is just as, if not more, moe as Yuru Camp has been).

Megiddo wrote:
Maybe they need a SoL with a male lead as an all-girl cast makes a show "too moe" for them? Flying Witch was alright, but I much prefer the atmosphere and iyashikei feel from Yurucamp thus far.

I can't believe it's come down to this. I suppose I'll have to explain why I liked Flying Witch and why I don't find Yuru Camp appealing (I gave it the three episode test btw).

What I liked about Flying Witch was that it didn't need to be a pure Cute-Girls-Doing-Cute-Things (CGDCT) show in order to be comfy. Thankfully due to its wonderful execution, it was able to take a more grounded approach without being too grounded. I can see why some people like you two don't find it appealing and I have zero problems with that, but for me it was a breath of fresh air.

For Yuru Camp, what I meant by "moe feel" is the CGDCT aspect of the show and it learns closer to a pure CGDCT show which doesn't suit my picky tastes. Having an all-female cast has nothing to do with why I don't find it appealing. A Place Further Than The Universe has an all-female cast but I never found it "too moe" because it avoids being a pure CGDCT show and it's one of my AOTS contenders.

Last edited by Silent_Ninja on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I wish we could review the streaming reviews. I really don't think the term "narrative" belongs in reviews for a show like this.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Silent_Ninja wrote:
I can see why some people like you two don't find it appealing

I'm not in the habit of spending 50 bucks on the manga for a franchise that I don't find appealing, I just didn't think that the anime adaptation was particularly representative of the genre. It's more an "exception that proves the rule" for cute-girls-doing-cute-things content in slice-of-life shows.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
Sometimes I wish we could review the streaming reviews. I really don't think the term "narrative" belongs in reviews for a show like this.

No one's stopping you. Have at it. Or was it just the one word bothering you?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
While both Flying Witch and Laid Back Camp are shows with a relaxing atmosphere, they do not quite belong in the same genre. I can classify Flying Witch as iyashikei, but not as CGDCT. Laid Back Camp is pretty much a pure CGDCT show.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
While both Flying Witch and Laid Back Camp are shows with a relaxing atmosphere, they do not quite belong in the same genre. I can classify Flying Witch as iyashikei, but not as CGDCT. Laid Back Camp is pretty much a pure CGDCT show.

Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. Didn't realize I was confusing myself with iyashikei and relaxing atmosphere the whole time until now lol. Anyways, I think it would be best if we don't drag this conversation out any further than it needs to as I fear it may derail this review thread if we continue to do so.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm with those expecting Rin to stay a solo camper. Although they may camp together at some points (as suggested by the series opening scene in first eps), I really enjoyed the solitude depicted when she camped alone.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, Rin is definitely a girl after my own heart. I love camping, but I hate camping with other people. Not even breaking my leg in the back country was able to change my mind about that. Smile

I wonder how long she was out there waving at the camera. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
What separates Laid-Back Camp from a lot of other CGDCT shows is that it is legitimately funny. Many CGDCT rely heavily on the cuteness factor to propel them along, but this show has lots of humour. In episode 4 everything from the girls trying to convert a summer sleeping bag, to Nadeshiko running into and out of the school, to Rin and the dogs, to Nadeshiko's superior carrying strength to Rin waving endlessly at the live-cam... so much funny stuff.
jal90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
While I find myself agreeing with most of what these reviews are bringing, there is some aspect that the reviewer seems to perceive as a natural defect that reduces the scope of the show. The demand for more "meaningful insight or poignancy" or "dramatic impact" is perfectly understandable when you have a conventional narrative but it does not fit the requirements of a contemplative storyline like Laid-back Camp intends to be.

I can't say I agree with the overall statement that these kinds of contemplative slice-of-life stories need to bring something significant, at least not in traditional storytelling methods. For instance the emotional strength and appeal of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou could be summed up in a scene of the main character enjoying the aroma of a cup of coffee. No conflict, no character drama, just the evocative embellishment of a little fragment of routine.

I don't read the manga so I don't know if Laid-back Camp intends to develop major character conflicts or just something that holds "meaning" (at least in the most conventional sense of the term), but it's surely not driven that way, and expecting anything that involves it, or any kind of emotional weight that doesn't resonate to its contemplative storytelling, is at this point a misfire to me.

And to be honest, I think it has had its fair share already. The scene in episode 3 where Rin apologizes was very compelling; among other things because of the fact it rooted back to episode 2. This continuity allowed to create a little character arc and to expand the implications of this scene. The fact Rin brought it up, heck, the fact she obviously had felt uncomfortable with this guilt during the entirety of an otherwise pretty chill conversation, made this moment feel very special and cathartic. It's not something drastic or mindblowing, but it portrays the psyche of a character in a way that is subtle, well-paced and immersive enough to make something little and mundane carry a lot of emotional weight.

As for the controversy between iyashikei and CGDCT... both could be the answer (they are not exclusive!), but I actually think that, even in its more blatant CGDCT moments, it still is filled with pure iyashikei feeling. It's a show made to feel cozy and warm, and the moe antics, the scenery, the characters and soundtrack all trace towards its quiet and healing effect. I don't think there is such a HUGE tonal difference between Rin's solo camping and the Outdoor Club scenes because both in the end try to cause the same effect on the audience. To me it's a very clear iyashikei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4