• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Licenses Persona 5 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
Aniplex has been doing dubs more as of recent, but I'm wary of this because it's Persona and they've already demonstrated faulty reasoning behind not dubbing the P3 movies ("people like hearing it in Japanese" or something when the games never had a JP voice option)
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I find it ironic that when the Persona 5 game was released, the fan crusade was "English only? If it doesn't contain the original Japanese soundtrack, I'm not buying!" Confused

Not the same people. The people complaining about the lack of the Japanese audio track probably won't care about this being dubbed. The vast majority of people I've interacted with, myself included, played P5 in English, though. And I'm not even a "dub defender" or someone who frequently watches them. No definitive proof but the general consensus on the P5 dub was that it was good and that the people complaining about the Japanese audio track were a minority. Especially since people blame them as the reason why the game was further delayed.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
^Even then, Atlus did release the Japanese dub audio as a FREE download for anyone that wanted it (it was PS4 only, but so were the vast majority of the sales, and it did take up damn near 4GB, but again, it was optional), and I recall that was ready on launch day. So I don't think I heard anyone complain about the lack of Japanese voices for Persona 5 because the option was there from the start.

Now, everyone I know did play it in English, but the option was available.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I know that Cassandra Morris (AKA Morgana and Fie from Cold Steel) made a video regarding the Persona 5 anime and the chances of a dub. She did mention that the chance is high because the original Persona 4 anime had a dub but I think she fails to realize that it was Sentai who had the license and not Aniplex so..
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Get ready for those insane prices.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^Even then, Atlus did release the Japanese dub audio as a FREE download for anyone that wanted it (it was PS4 only, but so were the vast majority of the sales, and it did take up damn near 4GB, but again, it was optional), and I recall that was ready on launch day. So I don't think I heard anyone complain about the lack of Japanese voices for Persona 5 because the option was there from the start.

Now, everyone I know did play it in English, but the option was available.

The Japanese audio was released as DLC add-on after the pre-release angry-fanboy hoo-hah (although you had to start the game from the beginning to access it), so I went back and played it out of curiosity, but there was nothing particularly wrong with the dub in the first place.

I can't speak for how "miscast" the P4 voices were in the game, since I only know the P4 anime voices, but Teddie sounds a LOT less annoying in his hyper-cheery English voice. Well, mean, he's supposed to be annoying, but...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2