• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thirty Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1988

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rekishika

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Funny that nobody mentions "Doraemon: Nobita's Version of Saiyuki (movie)" (as it is called in the ANN Encyclopedia) anime#1895. While this would hardly qualify as the "best" anime movie in 1988, it was the commercially most successful one that year.
And "Totoro" was the first (and for a long time last) anime to top the Kinema Junpô's list of best Japanese movies.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
1988 was the year of Ganpachi
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Article author wrote:
One major difference about 2018 is that I can joke that Totoro's smile isn't that far removed from Psycho Jenny's...

Or Koro-sensei's, for that matter... Cool
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Was there anything interesting going on in terms of shojo, comedy, or more light-hearted fare in 1988? That stuff wasn’t being actively licensed and imported at the time, so it’s hard to know if either there wasn’t much of it at the time, or it simply wasn’t brought over then and nobody has gone back for it.

There was some comedy and gag series; mostly forgettable.

Ah! My Goddess' manga debut was 1988. Compared to most everything made during that time that's probably the most light-hearted of light heart. I believe Wataru Yoshizumi who drew more well known stuff like Marmalade Boy & Ultra Maniac also had a rom-com series either in 88 or 89.

Remember also that in the 80s manga was still mostly piece-meal in that the various titles that were brought to the US were often drastically altered and even colorized (I have a lot of "manga" from the 80s that's done in this manner; it's ultimately more interest material than anything since it often really bastardized the source material). VIZ and later such publishers like CPM & Dark Horse did a lot for manga in the US.

It would be nice if ANN would someday do an article on manga before manga really became what it has since roughly the mid to later 90s. It has gone through a very interesting period in the US as a whole in such a very short time period.

MarshalBanana wrote:
How come you are only covering OVAs and Films, weren't there any good TV shows that year?

Legendary Armor Samurai Troopers, later known as Ronin Warriors in the US in the 90s, was originally released in 1988. When it came state-side in the mid-90s not much was changed from the original Japanese broadcast sans primarily the name and opening & ending sequences. It's a proverbial "classic" from anyone that watched anime during Sci-Fi's Saturday Anime days (if memory serves me right it was shown either directly before or after Saturday Anime's spot for whatever movie was shown that weekend).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
@I_Drive_DSM

I started buying manga in 1997 and I would estimate that it was closer to 2000 before manga settled down into the current standard of digest sized unflipped graphic novels. I do agree that we could use an article or two covering the comic book era of manga sales in the US.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
The real winners is terms how well they hold up here are Totoro, Fireflies and Akira. (even if does pale in comparison to the manga) Legend of Galactic Heroes also does as well but... it's ideals are rather fascistic in the light of today. Ask for Char's Counterattack....

Kicksville wrote:

Char's Counterattack is something I really didn't...get, at first, but has really grown on me immensely over the years. It has a weird and personal feeling to it, like the whole film is dealing with an uneven personal grudge. Or maybe more accurately, longing and jealousy - frankly, I appreciate it a great deal more after considering a BL framing (which actually isn't exactly a stretch, considering some of Tomino's own words). The place Char went as a character is more daring and interesting than what I think people perhaps even hoped for (spoiler[to some degree, he regressed, and just can't stop USING people]).

Char turning out not to be noble, badass anti-hero/villain as the fandom tends to view him but extremely petty and pathetic sociopath isn't the problem with the film. It's everything else around. The lack of context and explanation for events as is often par for the course with Tomino. (Seriously, where did Char get the people and resources to make a second Neo-Zeon movement?) The terrible Quess and Hathaway subplot that does nothing but eat up screen time and amounts to nothing more then "Isn't tragic that something like Lalah's death is happening YET AGAIN?" and the ending is one of the worst cases of Deus ex Machina ever as well as being vague and unsatisfying in the conclusion of it's themes.

It should have been an OVA series and focused completely on the conflict between Amuro and Char with a proper resolution.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Akira. Katsuhiro Otomo's magnum opus for which he will never surpass (try as he may)

I like Akira, but actually prefer Steamboy--the latter is fun, epic, and told a vastly more coherent story.
Quote:
If you've never seen Akira, I recommend viewing it in the original Japanese. The original English dub localization, iconic though it may be, takes such liberties with the script to the point that much of the “anime looks cool, but doesn't make much sense!” stereotype is owed to it.

Another option would be watching it in the second dub, which is both well done and faithful to the Japanese. If it still doesn't make sense to viewers, that's really the fault of the source material.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not super light hearted I guess, but compared to the other mentioned titles, I'm counting it that there were also a few Bubblegum Crisis OVA episodes that were released in 1988.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I assume Daryl didn't include the final chapters of Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, and the first Kimagure Orange Road movie because they're installments of series which were running for years. Akira began serialization as a manga in 1982, but of course the movie is famous on its own right. Fun fact: Akira actually flopped at the Japanese box office, and didn't become appreciated until home video releases.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:24 am Reply with quote
I get that it was the time, but I'm kind of confused why Ebert said they had "eyes like saucers" in Grave of the Fireflies. He saw the movie. They don't. Their eyes are pretty dang normal looking. If anything, significantly more realistic than most American cartoons from the time.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
Yes this just reminds me I wish we had gotten some translation of the Char's Counterattack novels, especially the alternate take.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
F: I've only seen the first three episodes of this TV anime, directed by Koichi Mashimo, based on the racing manga of the same name, but I absolutely loved what I saw. It's about a country boy who's obsessed with going fast, so he winds up moving to Tokyo in order to train to be an F1 racer. Those introductory episodes were just filled with great comedy, drama, & amusement, and I only hope that the rest of the anime is just as good as those first three.

YES!! Somebody finish a subtitled version of F, please! I saw the complete series DVD box in a Mandarake while I was in Japan (might have been Shibuya) and was very tempted to buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2