• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual Youtube Sensation Kizuna Ai Gets Terrestrial TV Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
Well, Mother's Basement did just do a video arguing that Kizuna Ai was 2017's most influential anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvbhY-DVEkM
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
I've only watched piece meal of a small selection of her videos, but I feel what is appealing about them is the Kizuna Ai character is portrayed in a more variety show -type format. It's situations and comedic elements that appear to be more genuine rather than scripted. Anime frequently tries to pull off variety show elements like in beginning and ending segments of shows but it's always very cringe-y and gives the appearance of being forced.

Despite any memes or negative comments of possible individuals behind the characters, such as the middle aged guy that was outed as being the other character mentioned, I feel there is a tremendous amount of un-tapped opportunity with these sort of characters. It would not surprise me in the least if in the very foreseeable future we see an entire series created using motion-captured characters (think similar to RWBY but with the VA's controlling both body & mouth movement and voice).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
Most virtual youtubers are using microsoft kinects lol. As far as I can tell the limitation it holds is frame rate as some virtual youtubers like Kaguya Luna have that issue of seeming off due to it.

Huh, is that all? I suppose that would definitely be cheaper and easier to use than movie mocap, though I'd guess there'd be problems with particular movements or with the surrounding environments at times.

I_Drive_DSM wrote:
I've only watched piece meal of a small selection of her videos, but I feel what is appealing about them is the Kizuna Ai character is portrayed in a more variety show -type format. It's situations and comedic elements that appear to be more genuine rather than scripted. Anime frequently tries to pull off variety show elements like in beginning and ending segments of shows but it's always very cringe-y and gives the appearance of being forced.

Despite any memes or negative comments of possible individuals behind the characters, such as the middle aged guy that was outed as being the other character mentioned, I feel there is a tremendous amount of un-tapped opportunity with these sort of characters. It would not surprise me in the least if in the very foreseeable future we see an entire series created using motion-captured characters (think similar to RWBY but with the VA's controlling both body & mouth movement and voice).

Well, Robert Zemeckis has been trying to do that for at least a decade and a half, but the results just go straight into Uncanny Valley. I thought Polar Express would've otherwise been a very charming, traditional-style Christmas movie were it not for Zemeckis's insistence on mocapping every character.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
Honestly, Kizuna Ai's videos are really funny to watch and make for some good coffee break entertainment!

She even plays Five Nights at Freddy's, LOL! Laughing
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
I like Kizuna AI but Ami Yamato is more enjoyable to watch. Also to listen to. Kizuna-chan tends to screech a bit when she gets excited. I could listen to Ami's English accent all day long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2