• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Spring 2018, Apr 1-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Franxx spiking with the power of love though.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
BTW, something that people have been asking for a while:
animenewsnetwork.com/weekly-ranking/archive

Excellent! Very helpful Dan. Thanks a ton.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I was afraid the Hinamatsuri adaptation might do badly because it’s something that gets better as it goes along rather than having the strongest beginning, but looks like I needn’t have worried.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
meiam wrote:
So cutie honey is at the bottom, surprised surprised. These rebbot/remake/sequel to older show really aren't doing too good.

>Megalo Box, Lupin the Third Part 5 and FMP are some of the highest ranked shows of the season, with LotGH not being too far behind
>Devilman praised as one of the best anime of the year since its release
If we are only going on this season then yes, in generally though a lot of these types of shows don't do well after their first few episodes. New Kino's Journey, by the end of the season most people had forgotten about it, new D.Gray Man, the buzz on that died out even before the show had started, I don't think Basilisk even got enough votes for a weekly review.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
I'm sad that ANN is not covering Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori, it really deserves more attention. It's such a fun, comfy show, with great comedy, a likeable cast, and some of the tastiest looking food in anime in a long time. The animation is also surprisingly good, with great character animation, body language (something you don't see often in anime) and very nice little florishes. Also, it has the best cat this season. Paws down.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I'm sad that ANN is not covering Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori, it really deserves more attention. It's such a fun, comfy show, with great comedy, a likeable cast, and some of the tastiest looking food in anime in a long time. The animation is also surprisingly good, with great character animation, body language (something you don't see often in anime) and very nice little florishes. Also, it has the best cat this season. Paws down.

Me too! I am loving this show so much, for all those wonderful reasons you listed. I just wish that little cafe existed in real life.

Also you really can't go wrong with Junichi Suwabe and a cat...I mean come on.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
If we are only going on this season then yes, in generally though a lot of these types of shows don't do well after their first few episodes. New Kino's Journey, by the end of the season most people had forgotten about it, new D.Gray Man, the buzz on that died out even before the show had started, I don't think Basilisk even got enough votes for a weekly review.

Kino's Journey had special issues, though, and Basilisk was a sequel which, frankly, didn't need to be made. Can't comment on D.Gray Man, as I'm not familiar with the franchise.

I seriously doubt we have anything to worry about with FMP IV. It's been in-demand for more than a decade, was hotly-anticipated, and has kicked butt with its first couple of episodes. I'll be quite surprised if it's not at least in the Top 10 (and probably the top 5) all season. Lupin is Lupin, and Megalobox had such a stunningly strong, attention-catching opener that it would have to really screw up to also not remain high in the rankings. (That being said, I did find episode 3 to be a bit weaker.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crext

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Loved Steins Gate 0, the ending of the first episode and the song from the game gave me the chills. HINAMATSURI is probably going to be the comedy of the year, where it stands far beyond the others atm., and if it manages to keep this up then I'm calling it at the end of the season. Megalobox seems like a great "rocky movie" so far, and I can't wait for the next episode, not to mention I adore his can-do-attitude and character > gear approach.

Overall I'll say these 3 shows seem to stand a level above the rest at the moment, at least in their opening episodes.

Darling in the Franxx keep bouncing, and I will admit I'm probably one of those that pushed episode 13 into the top as I found it beautiful, and also found episode 14 as quite the bummer following up that emotional episode 13 in such a way.

I'm actually kinda shocked Caligula's nr. 1 episode did rock bottom. I for one liked some of the deeper philosophy aspects of that episode, and how he quotes scientists left and right, though I guess I'm in the minority on that one. Also, even if I'm not watching Tokyo Ghoul myself, I'm surprised that such a high scoring show gets such poor comparative results.

Other than Caligula hitting the bottom, then I guess I agree with the list pretty much. There's a lot of "ok to decent" shows this season that I'd say is pretty close to each other comparatively, and some might break into the superb category as well. Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and maybe My Hero Academia are the ones I feel is just getting warmed up to evolve into something greater.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2