• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Does Buying English-Language Manga Releases Support the Mangaka?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
You're conveniently leaving out the fact that scanlations sites always tell people to support the official release when/if it is licensed in their country.

Some scanlation sites might. None of the ones I've ever visited do so.

Quote:
They tend to drop manga when they realize it's been licensed.

Nonsense. None of the scanilation sources I've ever perused do so. Scanilations of officially licensed manga are available for viewing or download right alongside those that aren't licensed. And they don't tell you which is which. (They probably don't know, they do know that few pirates care.)

And that's only possible because the original scanilators made the scanilations available in the first place, and they still bear responsibility for that act.

Quote:
I found this part extremely bias. You only talked about one side of the issue and refused to talk about the other side.

Says the guy who repeats the pirates... Well, let's call them what they are - the pirate's outright lies.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And from some cursory checking, I haven't found any "support official releases" language on those sites -- only BS smokescreens like "Copyrights and trademarks for the manga, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law," i.e. the same CYA boilerplate that bootleg streaming sites use.

I always laugh when I see that... because what they're doing (effectively publishing the entire work) is not covered by Fair Use. (Which only allows limited excerpts.)

Chrono1000 wrote:
Also while the manga market is very small in America when compared to Japan it is growing and there have been reports that it is now larger than the comic book industry.

FWIW, my local B&N has dedicated a pretty much fixed area to manga and graphic novels/comic material for about five years. The proportions see-sawed back and forth, but the total area remained the same.

Last month they re-organized... and increased the size of both considerably, manga more so than comics.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Some people like to think that Japanese creators like Japanese money more than American money. At the end of the day, a dollar is a dollar (or a dollar is ~109 yen). The source doesn't really matter. The only reason Japan might "like" Japanese money more is because Japanese fans just contribute a lot more money due to volume. So the idea that creators don't think American money makes a difference is silly; I'll totally take $100 in pesos if I can convert it.

The question then comes down to "if I buy manga in America, does the money go to the creators?" Creators don't work for free and they don't give the rights to sell their product for free. Companies here pay not just royalty on every book, but a huge upfront minimum guarantee--you have to pay the publisher money before you sell a single book, and if you don't sell any books, you're out hundreds of thousands of dollars. Yes, when you buy a book in America, you pay some middlemen--the publisher, the bookstore, etc. It's the same in Japan though--you still have publishing staff, bookstores etc that take a cut there too, in addition to the author taking royalties. So of course creators get money both ways. Money is money, and our money isn't "dirtier" than anyone else's.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It is true that if you buy manga directly from Japan the money goes directly to the creators while if you buy the translated licensed stuff locally most of the money will go to the distibutors and only a small fraction will revert back to the original creators in Japan. In other words, if you spend 1,000 dollars importing manga from Japan it will contribute much more for the industry than if you spend 1,000 dollars on manga from local stores.

One-Eye wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Quote:
So get over yourselves, American fans -- in this case, you're not #1.

Just had to stick your anti-American bias in there somewhere.

I wouldn't go so far. I think it was an awkwardly placed and weak attempt at humor with the expected result that a few people might find it vaguely insulting. It didn't really add anything to her previous sentence.

I have noticed that North American anime and manga fans tend to think that their local fandom has had a substantial influence on the Japanese industry and that it is by far the largest overseas market for Japanese manga/anime culture.

It is as if NA fans are completely unaware that manga/anime is a massive entertainment industry in Japan that sells billions of volumes of magazines and books and the anime industry is worth 2 trillion yen while it represents only a small underground niche in NA.

Besides Japan, in many other regions of the world manga/anime is more popular than it is in NA. Actually in some ways I have the impression that NA is among industrialized regions the one where Japanese popular culture enjoys the smallest relative popularity while in Western Europe, Brazil, Taiwan, China and Korea I think that Japanese popular culture is more popular.

Therefore the fact is that the NA manga/anime fandom is just not a substantial fraction of the market for the Japanese 2D entertainment industry (except for videogames).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
You're conveniently leaving out the fact that scanlations sites always tell people to support the official release when/if it is licensed in their country. They tend to drop manga when they realize it's been licensed.

There's something like 50 scanlation sites where I could read last week's My Hero Academia with a click of a button, and even though they might tell people to "support the official release" on their splash page, they don't seem too broken up about all the revenue they're getting from people without ad blockers turned on.

I'm sure that there must be some sites that drop the titles after they are licensed, but those aren't the sites that would come up if I googled "latest Attack on Titan chapter".
really, it's mostly the responsible scanlators telling people to buy a title when it's licensed.

there's so many manga aggregation sites out there that just snap up those scanlations then switch to releases by scanlators that are out for pats on the back for releasing the latest chapters of popular licensed titles. those sites just care about hits and ad revenue any anything they say to try and legitimize what they do is just a load of BS they don't even mean. most of them don't even care if the scanlator whose scanlations they upload want other people uploading their work without permission or not.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It is true that if you buy manga directly from Japan the money goes directly to the creators while if you buy the translated licensed stuff locally most of the money will go to the distibutors and only a small fraction will revert back to the original creators in Japan.

That's not true. In Japan, just like in the US, you're paying a retailer, who pays a publisher, who pays the author. Only in 0.001% of cases (where an author might be self-publishing a book digitally on their own website) are you ever paying the author directly.

Quote:
In other words, if you spend 1,000 dollars importing manga from Japan it will contribute much more for the industry than if you spend 1,000 dollars on manga from local stores.

It depends. But it will certainly contribute less to the industry of localizing manga in your language.

Quote:
It is as if NA fans are completely unaware that manga/anime is a massive entertainment industry in Japan that sells billions of volumes of magazines and books and the anime industry is worth 2 trillion yen while it represents only a small underground niche in NA.

It is true that the manga industry is a juggernaut in Japan, but I wouldn't call it an underground niche in North America. The English-language market is worth tens of millions of dollars in retail sales each year and is still growing.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It is true that if you buy manga directly from Japan the money goes directly to the creators while if you buy the translated licensed stuff locally most of the money will go to the distibutors and only a small fraction will revert back to the original creators in Japan.

Twage wrote:
That's not true. In Japan, just like in the US, you're paying a retailer, who pays a publisher, who pays the author. Only in 0.001% of cases (where an author might be self-publishing a book digitally on their own website) are you ever paying the author directly.

Supporting Twage's statement and adding a bit of detail. Basically, if you buy it it Japan, roughly twice as much goes to the original creators. In both cases, it's only a small percentage of what you spend.

Buy in Japan
The retailer takes their chunk
The distributor takes their chunk
The publisher takes their chunk
The creators get paid

Buy a localized copy
The retailer takes their chunk
The distributor takes their chunk
The local publisher takes their chunk
The Japanese licensor takes their chunk
The creators get paid

(Yes, I simplified this a bit)
nitrorcman189

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you really want to support manga artists, buy Japanese manga digitally on Bookwalker. You can use your English account to sign into the Japanese version of the site, and buy magazine issues, manga, and light novels. It's what I do.

How about using a service which allows a person to download manga to their device for offline use and does not have drm? Amazon already has this feature for downloading books for offline use, as well as most popular digital book sites. So why not guild people to Amazon Kindle instead of Bookwalker?

Quote:
I don't know about you, but some $$ to a manga creator is better than the $0 they'd get from their work being posted on a pirate website.

"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem" -Gabe Newell.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Deb tackling questions. I look forward to reading more!

Though, I would have never thought such a simple answer would require digging into the structure and convoluted sales tracking. (Of course I am reminded of the official endeavors at crowdsourcing localizations purely on a royalty basis which I see as rather questionable and predatory.) It is somewhat unfortunate there isn't better transparency on a lot of things but, understandable as well.

The “buy Japanese” argument feels like its mostly being used as some smokescreen or true fan BS. Sure Japanese sales are the most immediately effective, so if you can and want why not. I import original Japanese videos and books. But, I don't like the people that I've met who import who tend to puff themselves up about it. Or just disparage their domestic industry if they have one at every opportunity. (Which there can be some issues but, that’s no excuse to be awful towards the human beings who work hard to localize titles.)

Frankly I’ve encountered people shocked at how the English-language market may not be a priority for the Japanese side too. And seen fits American fans throw when others are quite accustomed to having more patience or extra costs. So the comment about not being #1 in the overseas manga industries seems perfectly in line to me.

I buy stuff in three languages. Because I’m a language nerd and like to interact with people about titles that are in a language they know too. I’ve read manga through the library when one carries it as well. That is also one way to be supportive since libraries are important book buyers. I feel it's a whole lot better for kids and teenagers to find a copy of a manga at a library than what they may come across on the internet.

Plus those licensing contracts publishers make means creators have a say in what happens to their work. Which respecting rights is honestly another facet of what I consider support. Encouraging people to buy a magazine or title, giving an ISBN is a small measure when you’ve spread something without permission far and wide. In other markets as a result possibly harmed the chances of an official release. I absolutely see red against scanlators when publishers tell me piracy makes a title I would suggest untenable. Or, how survey data was unreliable in relation to sales because certain % of respondents were so indoctrinated with scans.

Taking something down doesn’t mean it’s gone in the age we live either. Aggregator sites have decade old stuff because someone at some point downloaded and then shared it. They also have scans or eBooks of officially licensed editions. This only further devalues digital as an option or, rescuing, reprinting and continuing titles. I've even seen people defend promoting illegal sites when an edition is simply unavailable in print atm but, could still be purchased digitally and DRM-free by anyone with an internet connection and paypal or banking card. Some people (myself included), want more DRM-free globally available releases but, well Japan has to be convinced it won’t make the situation worse.

The topic of supporting creators shouldn't be this complicated or have weird hierarchies. Be as supportive as you reasonably can if you love the stuff.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Something else that these organizations tracking sales don't count are digital magazines, namely Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump. I'm guessing the number of subscribers is pretty high, and I'm also guessing they could sell it as inexpensively as they do due to a lack of middlemen. Not sure how much of these go to the authors of these manga, but even in Japan, you have to pay a LOT of people other than just the authors.

Lord Geo wrote:
So, if we were to even say that, out of that ~$6.50 per volume that gets split up between Viz, the distributors, Shueisha, & Sui Ishida, the original creator only gets 1% of that money (we'll just round that up to $0.07/sale), then going off of the sales numbers that Deb gave us, Ishida still would have made ~$354... And that's just from comic book store sales alone. Considering that Tokyo Ghoul as a whole made ~$3.5 million dollars in sales last year, even if we cut it in half to account for the various sellers' shares, and then theoretically say that Ishida only gets 1% of that money, then he still would have received ~$17,500 from royalties from North American sales of his manga in 2017 alone.

What's my point, though? I would think that Ishida gets more than 1% royalties in the grand scheme of things, but even if he did, he'd be getting some good money.

1% may be what he gets, but that's still a pretty hefty amount that's simply royalties from an audience I highly doubt he had even intended to sell to. But yeah, someone of his status probably gets more than 1%.

In general though, publishing is a rough business, as is anything in a creative field. Many, many more people fail than succeed, and only the cream of the crop can make a nice living through it. The concept of the "starving artist" applies to manga too.

pirateaddict wrote:
If I love a story that much then I want the official volumes and if it's something that's now out of print I scour ebay or other sites looking for second hand copies. I don't agree with using these sites as a means of getting something for nothing and bypassing spending money which goes to the creator. Obviously if you want something to carry on being made be it anime or manga then it's only right to buy the official merchandise.

Reminds me of how I spent quite a time tracking down Viz's volumes of Barrage, as it flopped hard and was before Horikoshi hit paydirt with My Hero Academia. I didn't want to buy it online--I've had a job dealing with used books in which about three-quarters of the books donated in were in sorry condition, so don't trust buying books online--but the bookstores quickly dropped Barrage before I could visit them. I ultimately got the two released volumes at a convention, and that was after looking through dozens of other manga vendors who had either sold their copies before I got there or never had it in the first place.

I'm now trying to track down the Tokyopop releases of Cyborg 009. I know they didn't finish, but I currently only have the first two volumes and I know they released more than just those.

Zalis116 wrote:
Some groups may drop scanlations of licensed manga, but they're frequently picked up by other groups, much like what happened with TV-fansubs in the pre-streaming era. Plus, there's all kinds of excuses available, like "The official release will take YEARS to catch up" or "PC US companies will censor it to cater to snowflakes!" or "The official release will localize/over-translate/not use the same terms people are comfortable with" -- no doubt leafy_sea_dragon can illuminate that last one Wink

Well, that threw me for a loop that I was specifically named.

I will say that there is definitely a lot of friction between fans of One Piece though, with scanlators and fansubbers using terms different than that of Viz and FUNimation and often between each other, and they clash over which is the correct one. (No one in their right mind seriously calls Sanji as "Sunkist" though.)

Puniyo wrote:
This is my favourite argument. It's just so untrue nowadays - even the Pokemon and Yugioh manga are completely unchanged.

Well, the Pokémon names ARE changed to the localized ones, but, well, that's the ones that that language's readers will be able to recognize better. Very few English-speaking fans call Scyther as "Strike" or Excadrill as "Drills," for instance.

(Which makes me think about when some peolpe DO try to call them by their Japanese names and do it so clumsily. Dialga's original Japanese name is just that, "Dialga," but as it has to be transliterated as "Diaruga," you get some people saying "dee-a-ROO-gah.")

The Pokémon games have had an increasing number of human names kept the same between Japanese and other languages though. I was pretty surprised they decided to follow the same plant-themed naming from X and Y and onward, regardless of how little sense they might make as people's names.

DerekL1963 wrote:

Nonsense. None of the scanilation sources I've ever perused do so. Scanilations of officially licensed manga are available for viewing or download right alongside those that aren't licensed. And they don't tell you which is which. (They probably don't know, they do know that few pirates care.)

And that's only possible because the original scanilators made the scanilations available in the first place, and they still bear responsibility for that act.

The ones that are scans or print-screens of the official English releases have no excuse whatsoever.

DerekL1963 wrote:
FWIW, my local B&N has dedicated a pretty much fixed area to manga and graphic novels/comic material for about five years. The proportions see-sawed back and forth, but the total area remained the same.

Last month they re-organized... and increased the size of both considerably, manga more so than comics.

Do they have benches? Manga cows still exist at the Barnes & Nobles near me, and they are still just as rude to people who actually want to buy manga as they were in the 90s. Benches will at least get them to stop leaning on the shelves and block access to manga that might be behind them.

nitrorcman189 wrote:
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem" -Gabe Newell.

Sometimes, though, I would say it's a culture problem. Piracy is a forbidden fruit, after all, and if the fans are rebellious enough, that can cause piracy to run amok without no easy solution, especially if the creators are trying to make a living off of it (so that'd exclude, say, Death Cab for Cutie, who were already fairly successful by the time "When Soul Meets Body" was leaked ahead of its official release).

katscradle wrote:
The “buy Japanese” argument feels like its mostly being used as some smokescreen or true fan BS. Sure Japanese sales are the most immediately effective, so if you can and want why not. I import original Japanese videos and books. But, I don't like the people that I've met who import who tend to puff themselves up about it. Or just disparage their domestic industry if they have one at every opportunity. (Which there can be some issues but, that’s no excuse to be awful towards the human beings who work hard to localize titles.)

There are also the people who tell you to go learn Japanese because you shouldn't ever have to rely on any sort of translators and hold a dim view of anyone who does any translation work. That cannot work for someone like me, because I aim to have a broad knowledge in a wide variety of fields, and for that, I must rely on good translations of things as I simply do not have the time to learn every language of every book, movie, song, game, or TV show I consume, or records of historical events, for that matter. It'd be like saying that anyone who reads the Bible should go learn ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Latin to understand it as it was meant to be. (I am also a complete klutz at foreign languages.)

While I fully respect people who learn Japanese to more effectively consume Japanese media and can give their perspectives on things that someone who knows little to no Japanese, like me, cannot produce, I absolutely hate the viewpoint that this is the only true way to do things and that translators are unnecessary. The people who carry this viewpoint I've encountered always, always have pretty narrow interests in which learning just one or two languages would suffice for them, and they don't understand that I'd like to take in knowledge from all cultures and all languages (or why I'd do that).
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
As an artist myself I understand the need to protect your brand. Personally I always try to support the artist when I can, but if hurdles are thrown at me what else can I do but look for alternatives? Mitsuru Adachi is one of my favorite manga artists but only one of his manga is legitimately available in English. That title of course is Cross Game and I purchased the volumes I read on Kindle. Hell, I've seen fansubs of the manga artist profile series, Manben. As a result I've purchased several titles based on the art shown in those episodes.

Ultimately piracy can be a blessing and a curse but I always urge people to support the artist when they can.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
What's my point, though? I would think that Ishida gets more than 1% royalties in the grand scheme of things, but even if he did, he'd be getting some good money.

Royalty rates tend to be way over 1%. I wouldn't be in that business if they were. YIKES!
CR85747

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Some people like to think that Japanese creators like Japanese money more than American money. At the end of the day, a dollar is a dollar (or a dollar is ~109 yen). The source doesn't really matter. The only reason Japan might "like" Japanese money more is because Japanese fans just contribute a lot more money due to volume. So the idea that creators don't think American money makes a difference is silly; I'll totally take $100 in pesos if I can convert it.

There is a minor point in favor of Japanese editions here. Currency conversion generally incurs a fee. When you buy a Japanese-language version, either you (if you buy from a website based in Japan) or the importer you buy it from bear the cost of the currency exchange instead of the licensors.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How much of that $12.99 from the sales of Tokyo Ghoul Volume 1 that was sold in a N. American bookstore or comics hop actually shows up in Sui Ishida's monthly (I think?) royalty checks? Well, I don't know exactly how much, but it's safe to say, it's a lot less that $6.50. But it's a lot MORE than $0.00 that Ishida would get from people reading Tokyo Ghoul from a scanlation site.

Excuse the snarkiness, but wow, such insight. Granted, I realize that this is proprietary knowledge, but a rough ballpark figure would be helpful. $.01 per manga volume is infinitely more than $0. If you're going to run a column called 'Manga Answerman', give me valid, pertinent information instead of something that even I, someone who doesn't work for the industry, could ramble off instead.

Anyways, this is exactly the problem I have with buying manga in the US. I don't want to give my favorite artists $.02 for buying manga. I want to give them more and there should be such an option.

Outside of conventions, Kickstarters and direct commissions, I would love to make a direct contribution to a mangaka or studio anime artist. Seriously. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I've seen on Twitter that some Japanese artists will provide links to their Japanese Amazon wishlists where I can buy items they can use and really wish that this was done more for more artists. I don't want their personal details, but if they need pens or have their eye on a cute scarf or whatever, I'd much rather give them the money to buy that instead of hoping 1 cent of my purchase actually makes it back to the artist's pocketbook. I know that there's a fine line between privacy and many Japanese artists might feel some sense of shame for receiving goods or money from fans, but I find it hard to believe that in 2018, there is no better option out there than a fan hoping that 1 cent of their purchase makes it back to the mangaka directly. If companies like Viz truly wanted to help these artists, how about selling some of the artwork that was displayed in the Viz booth during previous Anime Expo and San Diego Comic Con conventions? I know I'm not alone in saying that I'd pay a couple grand a piece for some of those Shoujo Beat sketches. If you want to convince me that localization companies like Viz truly care about helping artists, give fans the opportunity to buy these sketches and give that money back to the mangaka or some charity of the mangaka's choosing.

It's for exactly this reason that, for the most part, refuse to buy new manga and instead opt to pay for pricey commissions whenever possible at conventions or through Kickstarters. I know that, even with KS's cut, the artist is receiving far more money that they would if I bought a new copy of some Shojo Beat US localized manga. I also find whoever operates the SubLime Twitter account to be incredibly offensive to fans, and I won't support that behavior. If, in particular, Viz wants me to buy new manga from them, I suggest a bit more transparency (No more "Your favorite artist receives a heck of a lot more than $0 they would by reading a scanlation!") and a lot less toxic behavior from those that run their social media accounts.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I don't want to give my favorite artists $.02 for buying manga. I want to give them more and there should be such an option.

Back when I used to go to a ton of rock concerts, there would always be at least a couple of guys every show who'd come up to the opening band at their merch table and tell them, "I torrented your album, here's ten bucks, I'd rather give it to you than the record company".

As if that ten dollars would magically get disseminated to the sound engineers, the people who promoted the album (the person who pirated the songs may have never even heard of the band if not for them), the songwriters the band hired to actually write the songs, etc.

The idea that only the "talent" needed to be compensated for entertainment seemed as scummy to me back then as it does now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5