• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
John Lasseter to Leave Disney at the End of the Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Dude, you're making it sound like he was just being affectionate with some people at work instead of actively making people uncomfortable or violating personal boundaries. He'd put his hand on women's legs if they were wearing skirts and try to wander upward. It happened again and again. It sucks to lose a creative, but it is what it is.
I heard that John Lasseter was known for hugging women which is what he apologized for in his memo but that it was the allegations of kissing women that got him fired. Did someone say that he was also putting his hands up their skirt and was that incident reported to Disney or was it an anonymous allegation? I thought that the reason that it took Disney several months to make a decision was because they were investigating the allegations though I guess that anything they discovered would be kept confidential.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Unlike Walt Disney, John will still be alive to appoint his successor and outline future company strategy after losing his head position--
Hopefully, he'll pick someone better than Walt did with Ron Miller.
Shouldn't that be up to whoever is in the number two position underneath Lassester?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
[quote="EricJ2"]
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Unlike Walt Disney, John will still be alive to appoint his successor and outline future company strategy after losing his head position--
Hopefully, he'll pick someone better than Walt did with Ron Miller.

or perhaps he will appoint someone worse than Ron Miller while he pulls a "Don Bluth".
Matriel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
The whole point of this "Me too" movement and the reactions to it, is to virtue signal to conservatives and let them know that they'll be next. The entirety of all the men that have been accused are pretty much all Democrats.

In third wave feminism, men aren't even allowed to so much as look at women, lest they be accused of sexual harassment.

......What? Is that what you're getting out of all of this? I realize I shouldn't be feeding a troll, but, Wow!
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
There was a bunch of other actors and directors in Hollywood that have been accused of worse but they are still making movies. The problem is that John Lasseter was a good fit for the feminist oppressor narrative, he worked for one of the most politically correct Hollywood studios, and he apologized which only confirmed his guilt. I have no doubt that Hollywood is filled with depraved hedonistic sociopaths but it looks to me like John Lasseter was used as the equivalent of a sacrificial lamb.

You're defending a proven molester because you like his cartoons. Heaven forbid you or someone you love winds up working for someone like him. This is not a matter of feminism. He put his hands on his employees. Male or female makes absolutely no difference here. There is no justifying his actions. He deserves to be fired just like anyone else that would commit this acts.

So an unnamed “insider” telling the Hollywood Reporter that Lasseter was known for “grabbing, kissing, making comments about physical attributes.” makes him a proven molester? The other unnamed source credited as ‘long time employee’ said he was known to hug other employees, I guess you’re going with the uncredited unnamed source from an entertainment gossip website for your proof.

I do believe there is a high likelihood of John Lasseter behaved inappropriately, but this is by no means based on proof.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:

So an unnamed “insider” telling the Hollywood Reporter that Lasseter was known for “grabbing, kissing, making comments about physical attributes.” makes him a proven molester? The other unnamed source credited as ‘long time employee’ said he was known to hug other employees, I guess you’re going with the uncredited unnamed source from an entertainment gossip website for your proof.
Maybe comments like these are why women can only come forward anonymously.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
NiPah wrote:

No, I believe being black listed from the industry and harassed online is the major reasons men and women come forward anonymously, however this does make their claims unsubstantiated. The system is broken, the few who do come forward to HR or the police are often ignored, swept under the rug, or kept silent, this needs to stop.

That said the word proof has meaning, you need much more to meet a burden of proof.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The idea that anonymous allegations can be used as evidence didn't work that well at the Salem Witch Trials. There is a reason that anonymous allegations aren't allowed in a modern court of law. There was sufficient concern about John Lasseter that Disney fired him but so far none of the allegations have been taken to court.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
But then who will stand next to Hayao Miyazaki and make him look really uncomfortable?

Did he try to kiss him, too?!
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
I really wish this didn't happen. This man helped make my childhood with his animated films. Plus he helped bring Disney Animation back on its feet after the end of the Eisner era. But even without his presence at Disney and Pixar, all the animators and artists in those studios have learned so much from him that they can continue on making great animated films. I don't believe John Lasseter will be the same after this and only time will tell what kind of person he will become as he takes this new direction in life.

Years from now, I hope people can forget about all of this.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
]There was a bunch of other actors and directors in Hollywood that have been accused of worse but they are still making movies. The problem is that John Lasseter was a good fit for the feminist oppressor narrative, he worked for one of the most politically correct Hollywood studios, and he apologized which only confirmed his guilt. I have no doubt that Hollywood is filled with depraved hedonistic sociopaths but it looks to me like John Lasseter was used as the equivalent of a sacrificial lamb.

Lasseter was one of the most powerful people at Disney when this went down. He can be called many things. "Lamb" is not one of them. Furthermore, saying "well, there are worse people still working" is a terrible argument founded on whataboutism.

Anyway, this was inevitable considering his actions. This could not be allowed to stand. Pixar will live on and continue its work as they have for decades now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
Deadpool promote

GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I really wish this didn't happen. This man helped make my childhood with his animated films. Plus he helped bring Disney Animation back on its feet after the end of the Eisner era. But even without his presence at Disney and Pixar, all the animators and artists in those studios have learned so much from him that they can continue on making great animated films. I don't believe John Lasseter will be the same after this and only time will tell what kind of person he will become as he takes this new direction in life.

Years from now, I hope people can forget about all of this.

He also did a lot of things at the start of his reign as Disney's supreme animation overlord that created a negative atmosphere at Disney.
This was in the days following the drawdown of the hand-drawn feature animation divisions and the switch to all CG/polygon features.
There were questions asked and people were slammed HARD for asking them. In other words, if you asked questions -- the wrong ones even if they were innocent --, they laid you off.
It was an atmosphere of fear that was instilled in rooms of creative people and that inhibits their ability, well, to create! They had to walk on eggshells around him because frankly he acted like a psychopath.
The behavior in those days is a lot like what happens at any company when there is a change in management. They get rid of the old regime, anybody who could possibly oppose the new guy coming in, try to take over HIS job by making him look bad. In the process, they chased away a lot of good talent and people who had worked on films in the 1980s and 1990s when Disney was still doing hand-drawn animated features. There were a lot of people who felt they shouldn't have shut down the traditional feature department altogether, they felt they should have at least kept the Florida studio open since it proved to be able to operate under budget, but everything was shut down -- the original California studio, the Florida studio, the Tokyo operation, the Paris satellite studio, and the operation they had in Australia.
The sad thing is that for a while it looked like they might keep the people they had in Florida but they let them all go and the first guy they let go was someone who asked an innocent question about how things were going to be done.
It was a rotten way to start with the new regime, and, of course, none of this was ever reported in the mainstream. John was a "good guy" -- he never made people feel uncomfortable or undervalued -- despite the fact there was ample evidence some people had problems working at Disney after he was put in charge and there were high level "defections" to DreamWorks by people who created some of the greatest hits the traditional studio ever had (Lilo & Stitch, Beauty & The Beast).
And there were high-level replacements -- directors changed on AT LEAST two features at advanced stages of pre-production or just before full-production began (the film that became Bolt and later the film, Brave, which got a lot of buzz because it was going to be directed by a woman who was a long-time animation employee at Disney).
So, no, this man does not leave an entirely clean legacy. At this point, we're too close to the blow-up on the less savory things he was accused of. In 5-10 years, we'll have a better picture of things. I bet more will come out as people retire or move on to other businesses and can feel like they can talk about what happened. Right now, people are keeping their mouths shut because they don't know what's going to happen next.
The next guy who takes over Disney animation could be better or worse than John Lasseter for all they know...
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Cleaned up the thread by deleting some off-topic trolling and any responses to the troll post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rickroll10000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Cleaned up the thread by deleting some off-topic trolling and any responses to the troll post.
but I was on topic Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3