• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vinland Saga Anime Unveils Main Staff, Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
For example I like how you've got this naive dreamy eyed young man, who is thrown into a political game, where his heroic actions start to undermine his goals. He quickly has to wise up or face defeat. The Manga readers said that this change did not happen until latter in the story, which is something that sounds like an improvement over the source material.

It doesn't happen later in the manga, it just happens a lot more covertly and naturally; and it's absolutely not an improvement. The anime made the main character a lot more naive than he was supposed to be. They removed not only the character's innate savvy and unpolished talent, but also the urgency that's driving him to do something to end the war, and the reason for that. It's something that also happened with Arslan in Arakawa Hiromu's adaptation (which went on to become adapted as the source material for the anime), they took someone who was an idealist sure, but not a total naive starry-eyed kid, and turned him into the sort of character that you usually see as heroines in fantasy stories, who are respected and followed because they're kind and sweet, and not because they actually have what it takes to earn people's respect and help their followers reach their goals. Hell, if you look at Mahmut in the anime, you've got to wonder how on earth did he become pasha in the first place he's so completely out of place there. (There are other characters that the anime doesn't do justice to either; and there are so many small and large changes that completely change the meaning and context of things that happen.)

MarshalBanana wrote:
The shows director, Kazuhiro Furuhashi, has worked on many high profile shows over the years(except for the one after this), so it seems justified to make changes, I could not find any prier works from the Mangaka.

One, just because the mangaka is not as "seasoned" as the director doesn't mean she can't write a good story or have a good understanding of what kind of story and characters she is writing. (Altair the manga has been running for quite a long time, and most mangaka don't jump between different projects.) Two, just because the director is more "seasoned" doesn't mean he has a good understanding of what kind of story and characters he has to work with, and shrugging and twisting them into something he can understand and handle is not something that I nod approvingly at.

(FYI, this is the guy who took Rurouni Kenshin and turned it into the overly melodramatic OVAs that eventually turned against the entire point that the story and the characters were supposed to be about. He completely removed the actual humanity, warmth and soul that was supposed to be in there, in favor of MOAR DRAMA. Sorry but this is not the sort of pedigree that inspires faith in me, and indeed what happened in Altair was kind of similar to that... except here the worldbuilding and the story's understanding of war also suffered.)

I'm not trying to tell you to stop enjoying the anime. If you liked it, that's great, more power to you. But as an adaptation it still sucked.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people are getting concerned and assuming this is anime is going to be bad just because there's been a handful of poorly handled manga adaptations in the last few years when you consider virtually every anime series out nowadays is based on a manga or light novel. This would be like assuming all superhero movies are going to be bad because DC made like three bad ones. I'm also not sure why people are acting like this is going to be like Berserk even if it is CGI. This is Wit Studio and one thing they're definitely good at is making well animated productions like with Attack on Titan, Kabaneri, and Ancient Magus Bride. We should at least wait until we see the first teaser before worrying, but I don't see why people are getting concerned over this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2