• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Offers PlayStation Classic Mini-Console With 20 Games on December 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Why am I not surprised about this and that FF7 is on there? Oh well. Nice! I hope one of the games they add is Lunar: Silver Star Story (The original version with the old dub, not Harmony).

Well, it IS one of the most popular games on the system, and what most people think of when they think of 'Playstation' games.

Though I have it on PC already, so I'm not particularly interested in that one myself.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Sony you have my money so long as Legend of Dragoon is included, Never had the chance to play/beat that game~!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
This is funny because I just thought about this a couple of days ago and I asked, "Wonder if they're going to create a mini Playstation?"

Well, it happened.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they will put Digimon World 1-3 on there? Digimon was popular back in the day.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I don't have to get FF 7 for Switch then? Confused

Hope they include Klonoa, Xenogears, MGS, and Castlevania: SotN.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would much rather have a PS2 mini. Most PS1 era games haven't aged well. PS2 was the first truly sophisticated game console for 3D games IMO.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
While I do have most of the line of PS hardware of consoles (PS1 though PS4) and portable stuff (PSP/Vita) so far...I really don't see this being $100 unless it comes out with very, very obscure and rare/pricey titles, unless they could surprise everyone like that, but more than likely, its just gonna be the most common and remembered titles everyone knows. Also, the possibility that, like other mini consoles before it, games depending on the En. version of the mini console, and the same on the Jp. version of the mini console.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:

Wonder when we'll see a Sega Saturn classic.

When Sega remembers where they left the source code and various other important design assets to the Saturn at.

Squidslinger wrote:

Course they'll have to pull out a 32X and Sega CD classic too.

Yeah no they don't given the majority of the 32x and CD's games were either terrible or also available on the Genesis itself.

OjaruFan2 wrote:
Sounds like Sony took notice of what Nintendo and Sega were doing and were like, "Hey, let's release a mini-console of our first game changer console as well!"

Lol you might want to scratch Sega out of that post given their mini is being handled by At-At games the same people who worked on their last Genesis emulators.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I wonder if they will put Digimon World 1-3 on there? Digimon was popular back in the day.

Yes, but the games weren't really highlights, so I doubt it.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
When Sega remembers where they left the source code and various other important design assets to the Saturn at.

I have to admit, this made me chuckle a bit.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I can only list 3 titles I love from PSOne.

-Metal Gear Solid
-Silent Hill
-Resident Evil 2

I'd be more interested in a PS2 mini, but I know most games will not make the roster, so it'd have been nice if they made it expansive for digital downloadable ones to add over time.

Or better yet... please support PSOne/PS2/PS4 disc-based BC on PS5. PS3 as well, though I understand that's a bit more difficult right now.

Microsoft offer a nice solution for those who own their old discs. But surely an emulator for PSOne and PS2 is more than possible on PS5, which I suspect will maintain PS4 BC due to architecture.

Sony, please! Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I have to admit, this made me chuckle a bit.

It's Sega when they drop the ball it's always funny due to how utterly unbelievable it is when the fail.

Whether it's releasing a system that has no copy protection in place

Releasing systems with jank controller designs.

Releasing bad ports of iconic games.

Or having an event to hype up a celebration of a beloved mascot and having technical issues all throughout said event.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It's Sega when they drop the ball it's always funny due to how utterly unbelievable it is when the fail.

Well I can't say you're wrong. It makes me wonder how they lost the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga. Thanks to that, anyone wanting, or who has wanted, to play the game has to pay a steep price, at least for a non-Japanese copy.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
This is cool, so I've preordered one, even though I have most of my favorite PS games, e.g., [parasite eve] on my Vita TV. Thank you for this nostalgic blast from the past, Sony!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2