• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pixiv, Ura Sunday Contest Seeks Writers for Women's Isekai Stories

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Yeah, that's right. No men allowed. We made it, it's only for us now. Same with magical girls. Razz

We really do need this though. I am so tired of seinen magical girls.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

There's plenty of magical girl stuff aimed at little girls every year thanks to big franchises like Pretty Cure and PriPara and Aikatsu.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Precure is basically the only magical girl warrior series aimed at girls that remains, though. Aikatsu and Pripara are more magical idol singers, which does seem to be seeing a resurgence.

I was joking about the isekai thing since it would be dumb to say the concept was invented by shojo manga authors when the idea dates back to AT LEAST Alice in Wonderland, but the magical girl thing really is a shame. It's got more to do with Precure having the monopoly, though, as more recent magical girl series didn't sell enough toys or something and otaku are more profitable. They could still bank on nostalgia, though, which is what they're doing with Clear Card and Sailor Moon Crystal, and I hope that continues.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
manapear wrote:

There's plenty of magical girl stuff aimed at little girls every year thanks to big franchises like Pretty Cure and PriPara and Aikatsu.

You listed three. Can you list more than that, that are actually current and/or ongoing? Because I list a number of the seinen ones that pop up seasonally.

Lets not pretend that studios aren't investing in female audiences like they used to. There's a lot of reasons for it, but there's still a bias toward the same, generic thing over and over for male audiences. (And not being done for female audiences, even though they're spending more and more y-o-y.)

It's a shame that we lack the range, variety and quantity of (shojo) magical girl that we used to have. Same for isekai aimed at the shojo audience. (And reverse harems.)
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
It feels like most shojo and josei these days is more about selling the sex appeal of the male characters than writing likable heroines.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
It feels like most shojo and josei these days is more about selling the sex appeal of the male characters than writing likable heroines.

Female tastes have definitely shifted more towards that end of the spectrum over the past few decades. If you look at what anime women are looking forward to most this season you'll see it's shounen like Tokyo Ghoul, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Space Battleship Yamato. It's no real different than previous shows popular with women like Haikyu, Free, Yuri on Ice, Kuroko no Basket, and all those types of shows which star men and have very few, if any, female characters.

It's a bit of a marketing genius, really. You're able to get both men and women watching your show, which is always good for merchandise and sales. I also agree that Pretty Cure pretty much dominates the magical girl market for little girls, so not much really wants to compete with it on that front. Although to be fair, josei never really sold well, and seemed to have more success in live-action adaptions than anime adaptions. Chihayafuru seems to be one of the few where both the anime and the live-action versions are successful.

I don't think it's fair to blame the industry for a lack of big shoujo hits if women simply prefer watching shounen or other shows about male characters these days.

-Stuart Smith
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Surely we can have both, though? More stuff like Code Realize and Yona of the Dawn would be nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2