• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Attack on Titan Film Taps It Director Andy Muschietti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
But... why?
(Besides money)

Oh well, another live action film based on a series I'm not a fan of lessens the blow than if it were one I liked, but still, this is ridiculous. Does anybody truly like these films?

Usually I'd agree but this is like saying that it's not possible to adapt Lord of the Rings in 2018. Attack on Titan has enough in common with western fantasy novels that it likely won't suffer from the same problems that something like Dragonball would.

Quote:
On Topic: I'm assuming they hired IT staff members because they want them to repeat what they did with the youth in IT; however, it's a completely different playing field which makes that decision negligible, unless, unless, they are going to try the same recipe which likely won't work in their favor.

I assumed they picked the IT staff because they were able to faithfully adapt IT.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Things can only look up from here! Now if they could get an international cast of young and unknowns together. Alita is destined to turn out good and we now have another promising case. Especially with WB at the helm.

About recent life action manga/anime adaptations. The Korean Jin-Roh is ok but very much dumbed down. 6/10. A success by the standards of such things.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
The other day, I was thinking to myself, “Is that Hollywood adaptation of AoT still happening?”. Glad to know it’s been finalized. Hopefully, the people working on it have a great understanding of why the franchise is so popular and properly execute that into this movie.

professorwho wrote:
But... why?
(Besides money)

1. To introduce the franchise to mainstream moviegoers who haven’t heard of it before.
2. To experiment the franchise with the live-action medium. Sure, there’s the Japanese live-action movies, but Funimation already has the license to those. Even if they didn’t, Hollywood has very little incentive to license, distribute, and market already-made movies from another country that they can’t fully control or own when they could make one themselves.

I don't understand this idea of milking glorious Japan because Hollywood is dry which isn't true because like you're saying, there isn't an incentive to tap into anime/manga/LN adaptions which have failed in the past commercially and critically (except All You Need Is Kill) and is blasphemous to do for some reason while Literature is often hitting or missing every year, comic-books and LN/Manga are essential forms of literature in a broad or academia sense.

How I see it is anime is come to a point where it's huge and only going upwards, the US movie industry is noticing and is trying to work with that as they did with novels and comics. Anime films tend to be awful but it isn't due to some Passion of the Christ curse, simply, the top-tier talent doesn't bother with it, they tend to respect it, but don't want to commit or are wary on taking anime to the big screen (Tarantino, Waititi, Peele, Petersen, Nolan, etc).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay hollywood we get it you’re so fresh out of ideas that all you can do is make crappy remakes, sequels and now adaptations of great Anime series and other Japanese intellectual property’s. All you are doing is delaying the inevitable.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I’ll believe it when people get cast.

I never believe anything until the camera's rolling.

Here's hoping that hiring Muschietti means they're going for an R rating. I don't know how you could do a Attack on Titan in live action and keep it PG-13. I'm still shocked they showed the anime on Cartoon Network. In fact I've always been surprised that it because a mainstream hit at all instead of being relegated to the same category of ultraviolent schlock as say... Hellsing. I certainly enjoy the show. I just didn't expect most other people to.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
Didn't care for his IT movie all the much. It felt like a horror film for dummies,since it was chock full of jump scares and loud noises whenever something creepy was going to happen. Can't say am excited for his take on the property.

So are you basically saying 95% horror movies are for dummies? kkkkk

His IT movie at least was leagues above the "original" that is just bad and boring.

You gotta at lest enjoy Tim Curry's performance as Pennywise. He's always fun to watch!

As for this, I'm withholding judgement till I see a trailer, at least.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Here we go again!
HowAboutNo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm happy for Warner Bros. but at the same time I'm still rather wary, considering the Western attitude towards animation.

Attack on Titan is one of your best shots when it comes to adapting an anime property. Germanic names and a Nordic setting for the first portions of the story (perhaps the film crew can get away and experiment with filming in Slovakia or Hungary), smatterings of zombie and horror conventions moviegoers would be familiar with combined with the "steampunk Spiderman" action, violent action and politics that invoke Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, and the overall construction of the anime and manga that just lends itself very well to appealing to Western audiences.

The thing is...why watch the movie when the anime already has choreography and music like this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F_HdvAUa6sU

It makes it suitable for Hollywood, yes, but can Hollywood out-Hollywood this in live-action?

I don't know, I don't trust the unwieldy egotistical production environment to pull it off in terms of logistics, not unless they 1) had talent who understand and respect the medium and 2) invested the budget towards those people. Timing scenes out, preplanning and storyboarding the action sequences and choreography, cutting and editing so as to simulate the contrast in frame rate between different scenes, using motion arcs and match/jump cuts, filming close-ups of moving limbs...you have to understand animation as a medium and craft in order to replicate it in film. The Wachowskis pulled this off successfully with Speed Racer (I would recommend anybody this film as an essential to study just for technical execution alone), and I've always posited that Wes Anderson is basically making live-action animated movies, right down to the meticulous camerawork, precisely constructed sets and heavy emphasis on costuming and props, and awkward unrealistic walking. You need that mentality to succeed at an anime adaptation.

Now Andy Muschietti is a great choice. Besides his financial success with a $30 million film, he's also gotten on the map with a low-budget horror film, which aids greatly in terms of finding creative and ambitious methods to get the most out of a budget. His mindset could help with drafting up unsettling material for Attack on Titan, which made its way to international fame with such moments like the one I linked. If he were to pull a James Wan like we saw with Aquaman, I would be confident in his ability to deliver a faithful and engrossing adaptation. I just doubt his ability to recognize and comprehend the visual aspects of animation and subsequently identify and bring together a creative team that would properly execute his vision. We don't know if he's an avid anime fan or knows how frame-by-frame animation works. Chung Chung-hoon's cinematography is impeccable and was a large component of why IT looked like it was made for more than $30M (again, talent>money), and heck. Chung-hoon's already worked on another critically-acclaimed manga adaptation, but his camerawork tends to be more static and scenic, not sweeping like the clip above.

If I were Muschietti, I would first contact and hire the production team at WIT as consultants, and pore over materials like the original storyboards and the color palettes used for correction. I would probably reuse Sawano's soundtrack as it's already the epitome of Hollywood bombastic to save money, or at most hire a composer to slightly remix it. Given Hollywood's track record as looking at animation as intellectual property and not, well, animation, I don't think this will be happening.[/i]
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Attack on Titan is the type of story premise that should work as a Hollywood movie and yet I am still somewhat skeptical that the studio will understand why it is popular. Than again there is a good chance that the Hollywood live action movie will turn out better than the Japanese live action movies. Also I do have some hope for the Hollywood live action movie since Andy Muschietti did a good job with It.

This is precisely what the problem with Hollywood is, that they just don't understand the popularity of Anime and Manga series and instead just see something that they can profit off.

And it taking Hollywood this long in negotiations makes me concerned that they didn't want to go the original route of AoT and insisted on their own route like the Japanese Live-Action, where it's dystopian future where the Titans were the result of technology gone awry.

Well at least we know the CGI will be good. Wink
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
Seems like a good director choice. That said, even when I told myself that there was ‘no way’ that the American Death Note movie would be as bad as the Japanese one, it somehow ended up being even worse. I feel we could see that happen again.

Honestly the only live action manga adaptation I’ve enjoyed is Erased, which I watched on a plane flight. But no one else saw that movie because it was barely distributed outside of Asia. Unlike the Netflix series, which was okay but not as good.
DCR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
That's actually a good news.
I hate most Hollywood adaptations of manga or tv series because they always westernize everything.
With AoT, there is no such issue: the story takes place in a fantasy world, and they even have a cannonical reason for having only one japanese actress in the movie.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
I am still not sure if this adaptation will be made, I remember some rumors that Sony tried to secure the rights for an Attack on Titan movie a few years ago, but on the other hand I kind of excited that a director from my home country is has been chosen to direct this project. I think that AoT has potential as a Hollywood blockbusterm, it couldn't be worse that the japanese live-action version. Still, this could end up in development hell.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Don't show a wrecked helicopter and it'd already be better than the Japanese live action version, the bar for this franchise is just that low.

The whole thing could devolve to "Grr, giant zombies!" or it could be elevated to, uh, "Grr, giant zombies!" A live action TV series could do the whole thing but a movie? I don't know. No, I know it's "no" but could a movie do it justice? Not really?

Can a movie capture its key points? Colossal Titan on an IMAX screen... yes! That would be good.

I liked It, the movie It, but I'm not commenting on the quality until I see part 2. Because jump scares work on kids ok but what works on adults? Adult fears so the sequel should be more complex. If it's not then blast away at it for going for the simple "ooga booga!" scares in its adult version.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
I'm still shocked they showed the anime on Cartoon Network.

It's called Adult Swim. It's not on during CN's usual scheduled lineup during the day.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
DCR wrote:
That's actually a good news.
I hate most Hollywood adaptations of manga or tv series because they always westernize everything.
With AoT, there is no such issue: the story takes place in a fantasy world, and they even have a cannonical reason for having only one japanese actress in the movie.

People threw quite the fit over Scarlet Johannsen (sp?) playing Maj. Kusinagi, but if they ever watched the GitS prequel OVA series that showed what the rest of the Army's full body replacement Spec-For people looked like they would understand that the Major having a European exterior is tame by comparison. Also, nobody seems to have said word one about all the Japanese people playing European roles in the AoT movie. Of course, how many white people you gonna find who can act well and speak flawless, unaccented Japanese? Now turn that around, you realize that although there is a fair amount of East Asians in the US and Canada the available talent pool for quality actors is nonetheless pretty small. Talents like Cynthia Nickson, born in Singapore to British and Chinese ancestry, who got her first acting role in James Clavell's Noble House and later had the luxury of stepping away from roles specifying "Asian", are rare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3