• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - When Is It OK To Adapt An Anime Dub Script?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
kevruth wrote:
Marakutanay wrote:
Good luck changing sub for dub or viceversa for Highschool DxD. The changes in dialogue are everywhere.

Funimation and Jamie Marchi's script botched it from the very first season. They certainly couldn't explain things now with DxD Hero when those mistakes in the first season messes with the plot in Hero. Should have spent more time paying attention to what was being said in the sub and not worrying about all of those ecchi cliches that they had Isse say.

Nah. The changes in DxD were fine and made the show even more enjoyable imo. I can listen to all the peppered in colloquialisms and still know what exactly is going on plot wise because the spirit of the show is still there.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
The story I've heard from Greg Ayers is that the gag dub for Ghost Stories came about because the production committee knew it had such a bad show on its hands that the only way anyone would license it at all was if it came with permission to do whatever they wanted with the dub.

Keep in mind this excuse was made back in the early 2000s at a convention panel back when people didn't have access to much Japanese-side information. Everything we've learned since then points to Greg Ayers lying and basically defending the studio's work for the sake of it was his job. From the show's high ratings in Japan (out performing other shows at the time like Great Teacher Onizuka) to it's numerous reruns in Japan every few years even to this day, to the fact every other country got a normal dub for Gakkō no Kaidan yet strangely only America went with a gag dub (as is the case for all these kinds of dubs, another example being Shin-chan and Keroro Gunsou)

After reading this, I have a question when did Japan re-broadcast Ghost stories because I can't find evidence of that show being re-broadcasted in Japan. Could you provide evidence?

melmouth wrote:
The Answerman just perfectly exemplified my two reasons for never chosing dubs over subs. First, I never believe American voices talking about Japanese attitudes and situations and place and things. Sounds like a tourist pretending to act like a native.

Second, I LOVE Japan, or at least the idea of it, and most of its culture, and lots of its standard expressions, like the often-deprecated "It can't be helped." The closer the sub is to what the Japanese character said, the better I like it. I feel like I'm experiencing at least a bit of immersion in that fascinating land's way of life. And I don't care at all if it sounds clumsy evaluated as American English dialog.

Melmouth, unless you are fluent in Japanese culture, then even subtitles can't help a lot of people. You got to keep in mind that anime fan can understand some part of Japanese culture, there are some Japanese culture that don't translate well in subtitle or might cause more confusion.

The same thing does applied when American stuff get translated into Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The dub changes in Shinesman are the best ever. Most are not that funny.

It is OK to change a show like Angel Cop that blames everything on the international Jewish conspiracy, but from what I recall they changed that in the subs as well.

Good for Justin to make the point that there is no one most accurate translation, and that especially goes for the subs as well. Some are more accurate than others, but the accuracy of a translation depends on the intended audience as well. An accurate translation should evoke the same feelings in the audience, the same level of comprehension, similar levels of formality, and so on.

Quote:
closer the sub is to what the Japanese character said, the better I like it. I feel like I'm experiencing at least a bit of immersion in that fascinating land's way of life. And I don't care at all if it sounds clumsy evaluated as American English dialog.

Wow, you really insist on experiencing anime completely differently from how Japanese fans experience it. Why would you go to the trouble of insisting that you react to and understand a show entirely differently from the intended audience or how the director intended? It seems incredibly inauthentic for the sake of a false authenticity. Still, de gustibus non disputandum est.

I have never met anyone with any proficiency in Japanese who prefers a clumsy or stiff English translation. My wife and I watch subs with the Japanese dialog and often note how I would have translated something differently; the translations on Crunchyroll for example vary in quality, but we see more errors from nonidiomatic English and stiff language, or the sin of a word by word translation instead of using entire sentences and concepts in context, than inaccuracies like changing jokes.
melmouth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Impossible to evoke the same feelings. The understandings of the world are very different. The places where an easy, smooth translation is not found highlight those places of dicontinuity between their and our culture. I look for those in the subs, and especially in manga, where there's time to muse over the reason for the translator's difficulty.

Above all, I dote on the DIFFERENCES. I love that the Japanese so often say, "It can't be helped". Americans seldom say anything like that. We think everything is fixable. They are in a society one of whose religions emphasizes the degree to which suffering, including disappointment, quite often cannot be escaped. Indeed, it can't be helped.

And I enjoy it when they say "I said too much". They are in a society that emphasizes never being a burden on others, including forcing your emotions on them. We are in a society that emphasizes making everyone listen to your every self-assertion and complaint. Our current politics reflects that.

Japan is my refuge from here. I don't want it remade into something that disturbs none of "here's" assumptions about the world.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:

And I enjoy it when they say "I said too much". They are in a society that emphasizes never being a burden on others, including forcing your emotions on them. We are in a society that emphasizes making everyone listen to your every self-assertion and complaint. Our current politics reflects that.

Japan is my refuge from here. I don't want it remade into something that disturbs none of "here's" assumptions about the world.

I’m sorry to break it to you but after being stationed there for a few years I can tell you Japan is not like what you see in anime and manga. They’re just like any other country they have their own political issues that are brought up constantly, it’s a very xenophobic and homophobic country that does not want to change its ways.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
Impossible to evoke the same feelings. The understandings of the world are very different. The places where an easy, smooth translation is not found highlight those places of dicontinuity between their and our culture. I look for those in the subs, and especially in manga, where there's time to muse over the reason for the translator's difficulty.

Above all, I dote on the DIFFERENCES. I love that the Japanese so often say, "It can't be helped". Americans seldom say anything like that. We think everything is fixable. They are in a society one of whose religions emphasizes the degree to which suffering, including disappointment, quite often cannot be escaped. Indeed, it can't be helped.

1) What do you do when you find a Japanese story that doesn't reflect that? Do you avoid it? Decide the artist isn't Japanese enough? If it's trying to actively change the lives and treatment of people, is it a no-go?

It's just as ridiculous, and even hurtful, to believe that Japanese art must fit into boxes to be your "refuge" as it is to believe that the only way to share the same emotions that art from another culture evokes for its own people is to entirely re-write what was said or done.

2) That's kind of a fatalistic worldview; Life's a bitch and then you die so why try to fix things? I think of Japanese people trying to help the homeless, the handicapped, gays, and I have a much more positive view on how many Japanese want to change, and end, suffering. And express their emotions.

Note: I typed my comment and then signed in. Dragon_Kaiser had since commented.

Both posters are saying that Japan doesn't want to change; One thinks this is good and the other that it's bad but both forget there has been a lot of change in Japan over the years. Perhaps not in the direction or to the extent that many people would like but Japan has a lot more freedom, social and literal, than it has had in past and than many others do in other countries today. It still puts emphasis on the communal but the ability to fight back and/or be different is there. I fall on the side that western-style individuality is better (tempered by the belief that all people should participate in civil society) but do not carry the idea, for or against, that Japan is a stringent, strict society, without individuality or any openness.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The story I've heard from Greg Ayers is that the gag dub for Ghost Stories came about because the production committee knew it had such a bad show on its hands that the only way anyone would license it at all was if it came with permission to do whatever they wanted with the dub.

The way Matt Greenfield told it an anime convention several years ago was that Ghost Stories was bundled with another show that ADV had really wanted. Both ADV and the production committee expected Ghost Stories to do poorly in the US, so they were given permission to do whatever they thought would help it sell. Apparently it worked to a degree, because John Ledford later mentioned it in a interview with Forbes magazine.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

The way Matt Greenfield told it an anime convention several years ago was that Ghost Stories was bundled with another show that ADV had really wanted. Both ADV and the production committee expected Ghost Stories to do poorly in the US, so they were given permission to do whatever they thought would help it sell. Apparently it worked to a degree, because John Ledford later mentioned it in a interview with Forbes magazine.

This is a likelier truth than what fans and voice actors tend to parrot around. Ghost Stories is more or less a children's show in its original form. Unless it landed a TV partner (which likely wasn't going to happen given it still might've been too much for most of the big players), a faithful dub would've been doomed to obscurity in the U.S. as kids weren't a huge market for low profile direct-to-video discs from specialty distributors.

The idea that it was some huge flop in Japan obviously doesn't jive with reality. Even the theory that it was a hated adaptation doesn't make much sense. If it was so terrible, how come it got to the international licensing market in the first place? Why didn't the author of the novels put their foot down? The anime traveled further than their work did and we've seen plenty of adaptations banished because the original author hated it.

It's interesting to reflect on these dubs and how larger fandom took them. I've noticed a lot of animosity towards shows that were retooled in the English speaking world to target a slightly younger audience to better fit TV. Yet on the flip side, with the exception of a few disgruntled Sgt. Frog fans, modifying a show for an older audience to better fit DVD seemed to be less poorly received in comparison. I see a lot of genuine love for ADV's Ghost Stories and Funimation's Shinchan. Love that isn't given towards kid dubs that aren't nostalgia fuel like Yu-Gi-Oh! or something.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
Ah... he was talking about that American version of Milk-chan that didn't air on Adult Swim or the Anime Network that had those cringey live-action sequences...

Well the live action scenes is because Japan did it to Super Milk-Chan but ADV couldn’t get the rights for that so they decided to do their own.
ly000001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Good for Justin to make the point that there is no one most accurate translation

I always remember what Neil Nadelman said when he was on ANNCast (animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-11-08):
Quote:
If you get like 10 translators looking at the same thing, you'll get 10 different, y'know, translations, each with its own spin on it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Keep in mind this excuse was made back in the early 2000s at a convention panel back when people didn't have access to much Japanese-side information. Everything we've learned since then points to Greg Ayers lying and basically defending the studio's work for the sake of it was his job. From the show's high ratings in Japan (out performing other shows at the time like Great Teacher Onizuka) to it's numerous reruns in Japan every few years even to this day, to the fact every other country got a normal dub for Gakkō no Kaidan yet strangely only America went with a gag dub (as is the case for all these kinds of dubs, another example being Shin-chan and Keroro Gunsou)

And since we only have said dubious secondhand word for it, we don't know in what context the production committee made anything resembling the request--It was a kids' show in Japan, and Japanese knew more about the success of afternoon-syndicated Sailor Moon and Pokemon in the US than about the western disk industry, so it's possible they only pictured that ADV would do a Yo-Kai Watch or Samurai Pizza Cats job on their "kids' cartoon" at worst, so long as it still made sales.
I'm pretty sure they literally didn't imagine what ADV came up with, as hipster gag parodies aren't as common over there.

While Funi contemptuously steamrollered Sgt. Frog hoping to cash in on their lucrative Shin-chan cable moneymaker, and maybe grab that sweet late-nite broadcast spot next to it, ADV was less interested in the kids' possibilities of syndicating Ghost Stories as in making it a disk-market experiment, as it was just a "rider" to begin with and not meant to be one of their core titles.
That makes it an isolated case, but not one meant to justify the majority of Funi's deliberate and willful crimes, as it's been used ever since.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind a dub taking some liberty to have the dialogue sound natural. It annoys me greatly to see subs do it. This use to be less of an issue because I could turn the subs off, but many bluray releases seem to have subs forced to on when the audio is Japanese. It feels really weird to hear one thing and read something that doesn't mean the same.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

This is a likelier truth than what fans and voice actors tend to parrot around. Ghost Stories is more or less a children's show in its original form. Unless it landed a TV partner (which likely wasn't going to happen given it still might've been too much for most of the big players), a faithful dub would've been doomed to obscurity in the U.S. as kids weren't a huge market for low profile direct-to-video discs from specialty distributors.

The Animax Asia dub was probably more faithful to the original script. Not sure if any clips of it are online.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
The moment you decide it's okay to screw with something on the arbitrary basis of whether you think a show is "good" or not, you have failed as a translator. You have let your own personal bias influence your work. That's a conflict of interest. No matter how shitty you think a show is, it will always have its fans.

The edits themselves are funny and enjoyable, but I don't see why they couldn't have created new shows and establish new identities for them instead of latching on to an established work - which I do find rather disrespectful to the original, especially if people have not seen the original or are not aware of it. It creates a diverging image of the characters and the fact that the dubs are official adds to the confusion as it lends a sense of authenticity that no fan abridged series will have.

On the level of principle, I can't stand for things like these because they do give companies an impetus to do whatever they want with anime as long as they can make it appeal to a market and sell. One can argue that these dubs made the show better. However, that's not the point as "better" is completely subjective. And because the changes are subjective, the only fact that remains relevant in this argument is that they are changed.

Many people don't really care that changes were made to Samurai Pizza Cats or Ghost Stories because they don't care for the originals. However, they should be reminded that there are people who do care for the original characters and hate to see them desecrated like this. What if one day they happen to mess with a show that you like? I mean, many of these same people complain about the 4kids edits and Cardcaptors and such. The truth of the matter is, they only care when it affects a show they like.

For shows like Ghost Stories in particular, I find it sad that both the dub and the sub are marketed and labeled as the same show. With such drastic changes, they should be recognized as separate entries on sites like MAL and ANN. One of the reasons I say this is because it encourages an unfair comparison between the two versions - where people bash the original for being boring when it wasn't made for an adult audience, unlike the dub. Not to mention, they share the same ratings.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Yet on the flip side, with the exception of a few disgruntled Sgt. Frog fans, modifying a show for an older audience to better fit DVD seemed to be less poorly received in comparison. I see a lot of genuine love for ADV's Ghost Stories and Funimation's Shinchan. Love that isn't given towards kid dubs that aren't nostalgia fuel like Yu-Gi-Oh! or something.

I mean, I've seen plenty of people who will die on the hill of saying Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, and all those types are good dubs... and even say they're better than the original. Overall though I'd say that's purely anecdotal. The fact Sgt. Frog and Shin-chan died after only a couple seasons would indicate they weren't THAT well received. And unlike the 4Kids catalog, they don't have little kid money and ratings to fall back on when disgruntled anime fans fail to show up. Ghost Stories was only two cour so it didn't really need longevity.

Actar wrote:
Many people don't really care that changes were made to Samurai Pizza Cats or Ghost Stories because they don't care for the originals.

9 times out of 10 that's pretty much the reasoning I've seen. "____ sucks, at least the dub made it kinda funny..." which isn't actually a good excuse since you can use that to justify any gag dub.

Actar wrote:
The edits themselves are funny and enjoyable, but I don't see why they couldn't have created new shows and establish new identities for them instead of latching on to an established work - which I do find rather disrespectful to the original, especially if people have not seen the original or are not aware of it.

The same reason some people heavily change and twist reboots of old properties: they know no one would ever watch their writing or ideas if it was an original show. It can only get by if it has huge name brand attached to it. Tangibly related example: Look at how ignored TeamFourStar's original webtoon was compared to their Dragon Ball Abridged videos. Apparently people find it funnier when Goku or Vegeta say a certain joke as opposed to an original character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3