• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why You Should Watch Bloom Into You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
Who here also watches “uchi no maid ga uzasugiru” this season? Laughing

Watching Bloom into you feels like i’m being purified and feeling refreshed after watching weekly eps of the anime mentioned above Laughing
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
So... having not watched the series yet--no Hidive--can someone clarify something? The episode reviews and readers indicated that Maki is (likely) asexual, possibly to contrast with Yuu's experiences. But this column indicates that he doesn't enter relationships because he's messed up; that not experiencing attraction is the result of committing to a delusion and an unwillingness to look inward. If that's the route the show is taking, I kinda want to avoid it. It felt uncomfortable enough reading the article.
Maki is a side character who really does not get much screen time (Have not read the manga so idk if he plays a bigger role later). Personally I don't think he is all that important aside from how he impacts the main couple. My point being I wouldn't let his character be the determining factor for watching the show or not.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:
The problem is that Class S and "homosexuality is just a phase" are two different things.

Everything I've read (admittedly, less than many) suggests that the former is built on a foundation of the latter.

On the contrary. Since Class S idealizes female friendship to the level of platonic love with a bunch of romantic symbolism and is often associated with situational homosexuality in a female schools, later Class S titles indirectly influenced the formation of illusion that such relationships are girl's rehearsal before the start of "real" heterosexual relationships.

Actually, such a prejudice is prevalent predominantly among men, while women consider it as "passionate and emotional adolescent non-romantic relationship". On the Internet, there is a translation of one of the interviews with the creators of Hibike, where Yamada explains to male colleagues the meanings of Kumiko and Reina's relatinship, explaining why the moments of the first season were not supposed to be yuri.

In general, as I said, the problem is that the Japanese have completely different views on friendship, intimacy and bonds between people. And since this is often accompanied by excessive melodramatization and fanservice, many people outside of Japan perceive this as a strong implication of the characters' homosexuality and get very angry when it does not going anywhere at the end.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
For those curious, here's the Yamada interview that was referenced by #HayamiLover: https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/animestyle-007-sound-euphonium-interview-director-tatsuya-ishihara-series-director-naoko-yamada-part-2/

And here's the part of the conversation that's relevant to this discussion:

Quote:
Oguro: I’m not that familiar with yuri manga as well, but this wasn’t the soft fluff that they feel like; this was a work staged in the real world much like a manga for older women. That temperature also felt realistic.
Ishihara: That’s right. But it’s an example of how Yamada can go overboard occasionally.
Yamada: What?! (laughs)
Ishihara: I thought so in Tamako Market. It was awfully realistic.
Oguro: What, is that true?
Ishihara: She’s awfully serious when it comes to depicting yuri.
Oguro: But you don’t think of it as yuri, Yamada-san?
Yamada: That’s right.
Oguro: I thought there was also some yuri in Tamako Market.
Yamada: Ah, that’s right. Surely you mean about Midori.
Oguro: That’s right.
Ishihara: I agree. That’s somewhat serious too. (laughs)
Yamada: Is it?
Ishihara: Well, that doesn’t go to where men want yuri to be.
Oguro: (interrupting Ishihara) No, no, if Yamada-san doesn’t think it’s yuri, then it’s not!
Ishihara: (continuing on) What men want is a bit more giggly chuckly…..
Yamada: (interrupting both Ishihara/Oguro) Calm yourselves down! (laughs)
Oguro: Sorry. I got a bit excited.
All: (laughs)
Yamada: Okay. So I’ll say it clearly: I don’t think that’s depicted as yuri. I wanted to depict adolescence.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Yep, Class S elements are very often used in modern Japanese media to create qeerbaiting or fanservice to bypass the open image of lesbian relationships (CGDCT shows are especially frequent victims of this), but only an ignorant person will think that this is the whole point of genre.
CGDCT shows are not frequent victims of queerbaiting. It is a very rare occurrence for CGDCT shows to have male characters let alone a het relationship. The relationships in these types of shows are usually just subtext but that is different from queerbaiting. Also more recently the yuri relationships have been becoming more and more blatent not really sure it can be called subtext anymore.

Pure subtext without any explicit confirmation is one of the most common types of qeerbaiting. And the lack of male characters is one of the elements for this. I know that yurifans like to declare the mere fact of subtext as evidence of the "relationship" between the characters, but its wishful thinking.

Ideally, everything depends on each author or show separately, but in any case it’s naively
to think that this is not done for baiting as well. In particular, Lucky Star even jokes about it in one of the advertising 4-koma.

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
@Frog-kun Yeah, I was talking about this interview, thank you. The only thing, as I understood from her words, in the case of Tamako Market and Midori, she practically openly stated that she portrayed the alleged lesbian attraction as a "phase", but I did not watch the show, so I can not say for sure.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
So... having not watched the series yet--no Hidive--can someone clarify something? The episode reviews and readers indicated that Maki is (likely) asexual, possibly to contrast with Yuu's experiences. But this column indicates that he doesn't enter relationships because he's messed up; that not experiencing attraction is the result of committing to a delusion and an unwillingness to look inward. If that's the route the show is taking, I kinda want to avoid it. It felt uncomfortable enough reading the article.

I've seen people reading Maki as asexual/aromantic too, but personally I just haven't seen enough to make that reading feel substantial. Maki doesn't express a lack of interest/desire for sex or romance but rather rejects emotional connections outright to remain part of the "audience" in his own metaphor. I'll admit I'm not hugely informed WRT to ace/aro experiences, but nothing about his particular characterization reminds me of the experiences ace friends have shared with me in the past. (Yuu, on the other hand...)
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Pure subtext without any explicit confirmation is one of the most common types of qeerbaiting. And the lack of male characters is one of the elements for this. I know that yurifans like to declare the mere fact of subtext evidence of the "relationship" between the characters, but its wishful thinking.
Its not queerbaiting if the character is never confirmed not to be gay. Also you don't need kissing or a confession to know someone is gay. But our differing opinions is the exact reason they leave it at subtext its just good business. You can hit a wider audience with ambiguous sexuality. I prefer to see the yuri relationships that but you seem to prefer non yuri and thats cool and were both happy.

Also ROFL at that interview. My a** they didn't know what they were doing. They decided to add yuri content into something that was never meant to be yuri just to hook fanboys and squeeze some extra cash out.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I've seen people reading Maki as asexual/aromantic too, but personally I just haven't seen enough to make that reading feel substantial. Maki doesn't express a lack of interest/desire for sex or romance but rather rejects emotional connections outright to remain part of the "audience" in his own metaphor. I'll admit I'm not hugely informed WRT to ace/aro experiences, but nothing about his particular characterization reminds me of the experiences ace friends have shared with me in the past. (Yuu, on the other hand...)

His presentation is practically a yurifan version of the similar yaoi fangirl monologue from Watashi ga Motete Dousunda's MC. Only in the latter case was it justified by the protagonist's inferiority complex, and in this case it is argued by a mix of love for drama and implication to the yuri readers.

In the case of Maki, this is even more symbolic, especially when he is enraged by the fact that one of the participants of the "show" falls in love with him, which is easily read as a metaphor for the dislike of the slash community for self-inserting. So this is a blatant take that! to the audience, I think.

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Its not queerbaiting if the character is never confirmed not to be gay. Also you don't need kissing or a confession to know someone is gay. But our differing opinions is the exact reason they leave it at subtext its just good business. You can hit a wider audience with ambiguous sexuality. I prefer to see the yuri relationships that but you seem to prefer non yuri and thats cool and were both happy.

Also ROFL at that interview. My a** they didn't know what they were doing. They decided to add yuri content into something that was never meant to be yuri just to hook fanboys and squeeze some extra cash out.

Such ambiguity is pure qeerbaiting, especially if its goal is to sell a possible idea of ​​the homosexuality of the characters, but never recognize or deny it for the sake of business. However, at the moment it is the best option, as it can satisfy both shipers and those who do not care about it. Well, if we are not talking about such blatant shows like Kihiro Mosaic or Slow Start, lol.

Well, at least in the first season it was flagrantly baiting, especially when the season was closed by Kumiko x Reina scene, in the original of which in the place of Reina was Shuichi, lol. Ironically, in a similar "adolescence" Tsurune, they on the contrary reduced the level of gay vibes between the characters, but the tension between the boys still looks more outspoken than the yuri subtext in Hibike.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
About Class S, I have an ambivalent worldview: There was a time for it, lesbian and bisexual girls in Japan would read these stories and know what they were about, and the rest would have a different interpetation. That time is up, and even in Japan they are aware of that, because LGBT is now a politicaly addressed topic.

As for Bloom Into You, it's being one of the best, if of the best anime of the season. It is wonderful.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
About Class S, I have an ambivalent worldview: There was a time for it, lesbian and bisexual girls in Japan would read these stories and know what they were about, and the rest would have a different interpetation. That time is up, and even in Japan they are aware of that, because LGBT is now a politicaly addressed topic.

As for Bloom Into You, it's being one of the best, if of the best anime of the season. It is wonderful.

Yes, given the time and feminist views of most of the authors, Class S played a partial role of lesbian representation in Japanese literature of that time, not to mention that its creator, Nobuhiko Yoshiya, was an open lesbian.

But at some point she decided to change the "ideology" of the genre and its gradually turned from a half-romantic into a kind of idealization of female friendship and "innocent femininity" in general.

Roughly speaking, Maria-sama Mitteru and Oniisama E represent its original form in the example of a "platonic romance" and questionable sexuality, while Hibike and Amanchu can be attributed to the idealization of friendship and modern attitude.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
That was a nice discussion on What makes Bloom into You great (at least so far). I have not experience as manga Yuri manga/anime compared to others so I am not so familiar with how other books/shows of this sub genre handle telling their stories, but it has been nice to know I chose to watch something that has been doing a good job in telling a genuine, more realistic romance story without falling into tropes people are tire of. It shows that I made the right choice in picking this anime to watch for this season. Very Happy Also by this discussion Bloom into You is shaping up to be an excellent YA story given how you two kept referencing the teenage experience. I imagine kind of, or wondering, if Nick and Steve would have really enjoy this story even more so if they were reading this during your adolescent phases, because what makes a excellent story even more special is when it's an excellent story one can relate to. Wink

Oh and P.S the animation quality I thought still looked fine after episode 1, but I do not feel I have much of an eye when it comes to animation. For me the animation quality really has to take a nose dive before I take notice (which happen with one particular anime I am also currently watching which is so far looking to have the poorest animation quality I have seen out of the other anime of this season).

. . . . . . . . .

FilthyCasual wrote:
Are these screenshot subtitles for ants?

The subtitles look fine for me when I am viewing the videos on hdive, though I wonder if it has something to so with what device I am watching it on given what I read from jenthehen's reply as well as remembering the fact I am currently having this same problem but when playing video games. I watch my videos on my laptop (my hp laptop specifically if it matters) as appose to a TV or iphone (in fact I refuse to watch anime on iphones given how small the screes are) and the subtitles come out big enough in which I can read them, but not so big that it takes up much of the screen (and they are white text as appose to yellow). So basically subtitles are just right on my end.

Also, I was thinking the text were small in the screenshots because the screenshots themselves were small. Even then I am still able to tread them.

. . . . . . . . .

Psycho 101 wrote:
The last yuri series I felt treated the characters and romance as well as BIY is doing was Whispered Words/Sasameki Koto. That series pretty much flew under the radar entirely from what I remember.

I remember watching that show back when it was being broadcasted, but I had to look up what show you were referring to as it's been a while (The title sounded familiar). I vaguely remember enjoying the story, but I believe the studio behind the show never adapted the entire manga so I never saw how the story truly ended. I should perhaps watch it again to see if I still like it.

. . . . . . . . .

NGK wrote:
Who here also watches “uchi no maid ga uzasugiru” this season? Laughing

Watching Bloom into you feels like i’m being purified and feeling refreshed after watching weekly eps of the anime mentioned above Laughing

I have not gotten around to checking out that anime yet (I have been behind with checking out just about every show of this season), but given your comment it seems that watching this anime feels tiring in a way or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:

He's not in the show enough to really talk about anything, he mostly just come off as a creepy but harmless kid. The asexual part is talk about a lot surrounding the show but it's not really in it, you have to really strain to see element of it in the show. Yuu mostly just seems like an hopeless romantic whose disappointed there's no knight/princess in shining armor to rescue her or other cliche romantic stuff from story.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

meiam wrote:

He's not in the show enough to really talk about anything, he mostly just come off as a creepy but harmless kid. The asexual part is talk about a lot surrounding the show but it's not really in it, you have to really strain to see element of it in the show. Yuu mostly just seems like an hopeless romantic whose disappointed there's no knight/princess in shining armor to rescue her or other cliche romantic stuff from story.

Ah... it's somewhat confusing to have people state that the asexual element isn't even there, while other people seeing commonality with Yuu and ace experiences.

Of course, Yuu isn't meant to be asexual or aromantic. The story is very much about her accepting attraction and blooming into a romance. I've been following the series for a bit secondhand, since it piqued my interest but I was nervous over how it would handle these elements. People made it seem like Maki was the author's way of including an actual aroace character, so I was somewhat hopeful. Now it just feels like, thematically, there's an inherent wrongness with lack of attraction; Maki becomes a voyeur, Touko has issues with her past, and Yuu desperately wants to feel love. The column says as much, I suppose--that their lack of attraction isn't innate, just a committed delusion--but I'd hoped that wasn't the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3