• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Sanrio Grande

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The only thing Hello Kitty-related that I ever saw was that TV series when she was voiced by Sherry Lynn. When I was teaching in South Korea, I did see the Korean dub of My Melody.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 is truly wonderful, and I'm especially thrilled that they have given new life to the moribund Dance Dance Revolution community in the US by bringing over the current Japanese game (DDR Ace) and even supporting the Japanese gamer ID systems like eAmusement and Banapass, so you can get achievements, international ranking, etc. Now you've got Americans going to Japan to compete in the DDR world championships, largely thanks to Round 1 getting the game back up to date and supporting eAmusement. Good article from Polygon last year: https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/12/11/16290772/the-rise-fall-and-return-of-dance-dance-revolution-in-america

As for your Aggretsuko plush, my daughter burned $30 trying and failing to get a big one from the Sega UFO Catcher, but she tried on the smaller crane game and got office Retsuko after just a couple tries, and I got death-metal Aggretsuko on my first try:
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Sanrio mascots, I remember this one really obscure one called Puchi Puchi Wanko, which was a little dog that lived in a strawberry. Anyone remember Puchiwan? I still have a little teeny toy I bought about a decade or so ago when I went to the Sanrio store in New York.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Aggretsuko was non-existent in Japan when I was there last month. I went to a very large, dedicated Sanrio store in Kyoto and could barely find anything. Everything was Kitty, Kuromi and Melody.

But too be fair, all of those properties are much older and more well established than Aggretsuko, so of course there's a ton of merchandise comparatively.

On the other hand, Aggretsuko has squishies at Target in the US. Maybe the show caught on better in the US than Japan, but it has got to be vastly outselling every bit of Sanrio merch in the US that isn't Hello Kitty.

And I'm curious if you saw anything Show By Rock... two seasons of Anime and I haven't ever seen any merchandise of it outside of the Nendoroid of Cyan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
...and now I am picturing Retsuko performing Queen's "I Want It All".... :)
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Only mentioned briefly in the article, but Ringing Bell (Chirin no Suzu) is one of the more curious Sanrio anime works. At it’s core, it’s a pretty sad and dark story with rather absurd plot twists. It’s about a sheep, Chirin, whose mother is killed by a wolf, and in turn the sheep seeks revenge – by trying to become as strong as a wolf. spoiler[But as time progresses and Chirin gets stronger (and more and more like a wolf), its fellow sheep start to avoid and fear Chirin – and for valid reasons.

The story ends with Chirin being alone in the world, leading the life of a lone wolf (almost literally), if I remember it correctly. There’s not much hope in this story, and it’s more reminiscent of a Greek fable than a Sanrio merchandise anime.]

There’s another anime movie that has tackled a very similar story much better, Stormy Night (Arashi no Yoru ni), but as clumsy as it is, Ringing Bell is still worth a watch, both as a conceptually hopeless and tragic story and as a curious chapter in Sanrio’s history.

This is one film I had to get when Discotek made it available on DVD. Genuinely disturbing, spoiler[especially the "training montage" between a growing, increasingly vicious Chirin and the wolf]. Not sure how old a child (here in America) would need to be before I'd screen this one. spoiler[Greek fable [tragedy]? I certainly see your point. For me, it fell somewhere between this and a medieval morality play.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2