• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces Dragon's Dogma, Wit Studio's Vampire in the Garden, BONES' Super Crooks Anim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
dragons dogma in 3d cg gosh darnit. one of my favorite games. got hyped for a second then saw the studio. screw netflix man. just stick with wit, bone, and production ig's 2d crew and get rid of polygon and this sublimation crap. I've seen re cyborg and it looks horrible.

El Hermano wrote:
Dragon's Dogma had me until I read it was CG and by the people who did Re:Cyborg 009. Ick.

Actually they should update the article a bit, cause Sanzigen was the main CGI crew for Re:Cyborg 009. Sublimation helped, but were not the main studio behind that one. Walking Meat however, they were the main studio. If you look that up on youtube (Walking meat Pv) you'll find it quick and it doesn't look thaaaat bad. in terms of CGI anime, one of the better ones for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
MexRAGE wrote:
If they gonna make the Dragon's Dogma animated series CGI, they should just make the assets (scanning real world objects and people) and render everything in the RE engine, DMCV cutscenes already looks better than most CGI anyway. Hell, that way they could just reuse the assets into a possible sequel, or use assets from a possible sequel into the animated series

oh my goodness, you are just so right. everybody loved advent children back in the mid 2000's and kingsglaive looks gorgeous. so do those 3 re cg movies, regardless of story quality. i feel like 2d should never be "replaced" so to speak but if netflix is going to dive into 3d japanese animations making something of a 2 hour videogame cutscene would be 1000 times better then trying to replicate 2d on a 3d plane or whatever the heck polygon and sublimation do that makes it look as bad as it does. theres still alot of stuff you can do with that photo realistic 3d cg that you cant do with real life (the final battle of re vendetta. even the battle between chris and the villain had motions that werent realistically possible, despite it being just 2 humans having a john wick fight)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 am Reply with quote
Vampire in the Garden sounds promisising to me, as long as it focuses on the "friendly neighborhood vampire" aspect of its plot and not a possible "girls gone Idol!" story because we already had a successful Idol zombie thing, we don't need vampire idols.

Don't age, always look perfect... well, that's EXACTLY what Idol producers would want, right?

Vampire in the Garden... it's just a great title, I'm actually impressed with it in this era of "plot synopsis plus punctuation so you know how serious you should take it" Light Novels. Calming with a hint of the macabre.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
Actually they should update the article a bit, cause Sanzigen was the main CGI crew for Re:Cyborg 009. Sublimation helped, but were not the main studio behind that one. Walking Meat however, they were the main studio. If you look that up on youtube (Walking meat Pv) you'll find it quick and it doesn't look thaaaat bad. in terms of CGI anime, one of the better ones for sure.

Ehhhh Walking Meat still looks bad. I only like CG when it's the really good, detailed kind like in the CG Resident Evil and Final Fantasy ones . It works there, since it looks like it came right out of the video game itself.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, this looks really interesting. Specially Super Crooks looks pretty dope. Kinda wish all of them were 2D though, but oh, well. In any case I'm glad to see so many promising titles (Psycho pass 3, Spriggan and now this) being announced within just a few days... hopefully we'll get to see all of them in 2019
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
I really wish I could talk to the people in charge of Anime at Netflix and point out to them, that while yes there are some people who do like 3D Anime, a large majority do not, and therefore they are not marketing Anime correctly to a global audience(which I assume is their goal) when producing or licensing them.

It's shame really, they could give Bones a ton of money to make a slickly put together Mecha show, because aside from Sunrise no one else makes watchable Mech shows, instead of getting them to adapt some comic book, which from the other comments I can only assume wasn't that good.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

As for AICO, it's strange because on the Japanese bluray release, there's no credits and no logo on the box for Netflix at all, unlike the US original animations like Castlevania which does credit Netflix. And there's even an exclusive Amazon Japan Limited Edition version. So that too may not have even been a true original.

Is there any reference to Netflix on the Devilman Crybaby BD? If not, I would imagine the lack of it on that, AICO, and everything else they exclusively streamed, but didn't directly produce, is because they aren't on the actual production committee for any of them. Castlevania was something they did have direct production involvement in as per Sam Deats.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
MexRAGE wrote:
If they gonna make the Dragon's Dogma animated series CGI, they should just make the assets (scanning real world objects and people) and render everything in the RE engine, DMCV cutscenes already looks better than most CGI anyway. Hell, that way they could just reuse the assets into a possible sequel, or use assets from a possible sequel into the animated series

oh my goodness, you are just so right. everybody loved advent children back in the mid 2000's and kingsglaive looks gorgeous. so do those 3 re cg movies, regardless of story quality. i feel like 2d should never be "replaced" so to speak but if netflix is going to dive into 3d japanese animations making something of a 2 hour videogame cutscene would be 1000 times better then trying to replicate 2d on a 3d plane or whatever the heck polygon and sublimation do that makes it look as bad as it does. theres still alot of stuff you can do with that photo realistic 3d cg that you cant do with real life (the final battle of re vendetta. even the battle between chris and the villain had motions that werent realistically possible, despite it being just 2 humans having a john wick fight)

It always befuddles me as to why nobody bothers to make movies or TV shows the same way developers do using real-time cutscenes in their engines. The quality is already there.

I can understand the entire staff at Capcom being busy with games, but you'd think they could just churn out OVAs or episodes in-house and keep the money. Unless there are some legalities and other complicated things involved in this and distribution that are outside of their expertise.

But yeah, Square Enix Visual Works should put out more stuff like Advent Children. Kingsglaive looked great too, but had really bad directing. Advent Children is the gold standard. With better writing both those projects could've been awesome.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Not interested in any of these.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I really wish I could talk to the people in charge of Anime at Netflix and point out to them, that while yes there are some people who do like 3D Anime, a large majority do not, and therefore they are not marketing Anime correctly to a global audience(which I assume is their goal) when producing or licensing them.

I'm just curious, why do a large majority of anime fans hate CGI anime so much? And how is them producing CGI anime mismarketing anime correctly to a global audience? I'm asking these as someone who has watched four CGI productions (Danchi Tomoo, The Snack World, Stand By Me Doraemon, and the trailer to the upcoming Netflix-exclusive Saint Seiya) and found all of them pretty appealing to look at.

Last edited by OjaruFan2 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
What isn’t Netflix greenlighting at this point? After the LA One Piece was apparently greenlit by them, I feel like someone pretty high up is a hardcore otaku type.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
What isn’t Netflix greenlighting at this point?

Hmm, an American live-action adaptation of Sailor Moon. Laughing

Beatdigga also wrote:
After the LA One Piece was apparently greenlit by them, I feel like someone pretty high up is a hardcore otaku type.

Yeah. A non-fan wouldn't be greenlighting so much anime.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I'm just curious, why do a large majority of anime fans hate CGI anime so much? And how is them producing CGI anime mismarketing anime correctly to a global audience? I'm asking these as someone who has watched four CGI productions (Danchi Tomoo, The Snack World, Stand By Me Doraemon, and the trailer to the upcoming Netflix-exclusive Saint Seiya) and found all of them pretty appealing to look at.

Cause there's a very long list of terrible CGI show and an incredibly small one of decent ish with almost none considered visually on par with the masterwork of traditional animation. CGI is also usually used when they're trying to make the show as cheaply as possible, this usually mean that the people involved are either not very committed to the project or new/inexperience one. CGI is also new, so even experienced director don't really know how to use it, so they either use it the same way traditional animation is done, which yield terrible results or they try something new, which sometime work but mostly fails (it took decades for traditional anime to figure out how to look good, it'll take just as long with CGI).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I did make note that some people, you be one of them do like it, do like it.

As to why people dislike it, that seems to vary from person to person, most people do not like the quality of it. Even people who like it are often apologetic about it.

As for your second question, well if they are picking Anime that they believe will be popular in multiple countries, why pick a certain amount that are likely going to be disliked. There seems to be this belief that western audience want CG Anime, which of course is untrue(at least it is based on all the feedback I've seen towards it).
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
(it took decades for traditional anime to figure out how to look good, it'll take just as long with CGI).

Well no actually, we already have lots of good to exemplary CG examples, even coming from Japan. So we know how to make it look good.

It's just a matter of time, talent and money. And you can't get good CG on the time frame and budget and low salaries that the traditional animation industry in Japan is run on.

Also I don't believe animators remain at home drawing keyframes like a lot of the cottag industry is doing.

I imagine that with CG you need to be at the office using their hi-spec machines and render farms, so it would be a totally different workflow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3