• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, bilibili Establish Partnership for Joint Anime Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Did everyone forget that Crunchyroll is owned by one of the largest companies in the world? It’s not like AT&T is just going to roll over and play dead for an anime streaming site from China that doesn’t even stream in the US. Not to mention, there is no guarantee that this deal will even last long enough to damage CR, especially as most of Funi’s streaming partnerships were relatively short lived.

I think it’s a little premature to pronounce CR dead, when we haven’t even seen how this will affect their acquisitions in the future.

FUNi has partnership with Hulu and bilibili. I'm pretty sure that would damage CR in terms of their acquisitions, especially with bilibili since they stream almost all seasonal shows in China.

Not to mention, just look at the recent blunders CR is making: CR Originals/High Guardian Spice (which is a PR disaster regardless, and they're being mum about it), untimely raising of their subscription prices, broken partnership with FUNi, etc. CR's only saving grace in terms of their acquisitions would be Aniplex of America, their co-productions (which again they're being mum about it, and not to mention seems to be dwindling in numbers), and possibly sequels to shows they previously licensed.

EDIT: Speaking of co-productions, apparently they have a deal with NBC Universal Japan about co-productions that was announced back in 2017. Since we don't hear anything about those and it's already 2019, then I assume that the deal fell apart without them producing a single title from that deal.
EiMs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Including all the hot titles such as Promised Neverland, Love is War etc, AND not to mention somehow they got some exclusive titles from Netflix and Amazon as well!

The thing is I am not sure but I think Netflix is unavailable in China. Amazon video is definitely unavailable, because of reasons everyone knows. So giving license to them isn't bad deal money is money.
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Did everyone forget that Crunchyroll is owned by one of the largest companies in the world? It’s not like AT&T is just going to roll over and play dead for an anime streaming site from China that doesn’t even stream in the US. Not to mention, there is no guarantee that this deal will even last long enough to damage CR, especially as most of Funi’s streaming partnerships were relatively short lived.

I think it’s a little premature to pronounce CR dead, when we haven’t even seen how this will affect their acquisitions in the future.

FUNi has partnership with Hulu and bilibili. I'm pretty sure that would damage CR in terms of their acquisitions, especially with bilibili since they stream almost all seasonal shows in China.

Not to mention, just look at the recent blunders CR is making: CR Originals/High Guardian Spice (which is a PR disaster regardless, and they're being mum about it), untimely raising of their subscription prices, broken partnership with FUNi, etc. CR's only saving grace in terms of their acquisitions would be Aniplex of America, their co-productions (which again they're being mum about it, and not to mention seems to be dwindling in numbers), and possibly sequels to shows they previously licensed.

EDIT: Speaking of co-productions, apparently they have a deal with NBC Universal Japan about co-productions that was announced back in 2017. Since we don't hear anything about those and it's already 2019, then I assume that the deal fell apart without them producing a single title from that deal.

Well Aniplex is owned by Sony so who knows how long until Sony as a whole no longer lets Aniplex license their titles to Crunchy. I could easily see Sony making Aniplex only license the streaming rights of their shows to Funi(also Sony), and Hulu in the US in the near future.
ravager

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:

I'm genuinely curious how this will shake up regional licensing... Maybe it'll force the purchase of worldwide streaming rights from licensors instead of territories being an option. I could see this creating waves for the European and Australian markets for sure, and maybe even for Latin America. We're definitely in for some turbulence, at any rate.

I have a suspicion that Bilibili might take up on that regional market. A few years ago, I couldn't access their anime while in the Philippines. Now I can watch everything from here (Chinese subs though). There is no single anime streaming service that caters to Asia and if you notice, 80% of Crunchyroll shows is available "Worldwide except Asia." Bilibili might swoop on that.

Bilibili is big. They're valued at $3.2 billion, backed up by Tencent and now Alibaba. I'm shook by this announcement.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
Is China at it again, Kunihiko Ikuhara did warn you.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Rednimue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
mmmm ... I have a bad feeling about this ...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
At least this means we may finally have a legal outlet for some of the productions bilibili was involved with that never saw a simulcast in the west.

Ermat_46 wrote:

..., broken partnership with FUNi, ...

Odd that you count that against CR, but apparently not Funimation.

As dragonrider_cody rightly pointed out, Funimation's partnerships have been of limited duration. Their partnership with CR was one of the longest I can remember, and frankly lasted longer than I originally expected (although not as long as I had hoped).

As to the ill-timed price increase, when has a price increase ever been well timed? Even if a company announces a price increase immediately after new features and/or new content, it isn't going to be well received.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about this news. It will help the anime dub industry but an official partnership between Funimation and bilibili will likely mean more censorship. After all bilibili will want to be able to stream the shows that they license and that means meeting the official policies of the Chinese government.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
At least this means we may finally have a legal outlet for some of the productions bilibili was involved with that never saw a simulcast in the west.

Ermat_46 wrote:

..., broken partnership with FUNi, ...

Odd that you count that against CR, but apparently not Funimation.

As dragonrider_cody rightly pointed out, Funimation's partnerships have been of limited duration. Their partnership with CR was one of the longest I can remember, and frankly lasted longer than I originally expected (although not as long as I had hoped).

As to the ill-timed price increase, when has a price increase ever been well timed? Even if a company announces a price increase immediately after new features and/or new content, it isn't going to be well received.

Didn't Gen Fukunaga mentioned in an interview that it was due to Crunchyroll not budging with regards to FUNi's regional expansion?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
You know, it's times like this I'm glad to be phasing out of anime altogether after this year.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
This isn't going to be the end of Crunchyroll everytime something like this happens people are quick to come to conclusions Crunchyroll is still here and will still stay here.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Didn't Gen Fukunaga mentioned in an interview that it was due to Crunchyroll not budging with regards to FUNi's regional expansion?

Yes, and was there any mention of Funimation offering anything in exchange for that unilateral change to the agreement?

Do you believe it would have been a good move on CR's part to allow Funimation to continue with the benefits of the deal (e.g., less competition for licensing) while expanding the territories where they would later compete with CR?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

Yes, and was there any mention of Funimation offering anything in exchange for that unilateral change to the agreement?

Do you believe it would have been a good move on CR's part to allow Funimation to continue with the benefits of the deal (e.g., less competition for licensing) while expanding the territories where they would later compete with CR?

It was obvious that it was CR who took bigger hit from the CR-FUNi fallout given that they lost FUNi's catalog. Not to mention, during the CR-FUNi deal, FUNi is just dealing with English dubs while CR deals with subs, which won't really eat CR's subscribers if they allowed FUNi to expand regions. But hey, there's a possibility that FUNi intends to back out of the deal regardless of what CR negotiates.

Also, I'd expect CR's acquisition to take a huge dip starting Summer 2019 moving forward, since I assume that most of the acquisitions for Spring 2019 are already done (as shown by the effects of the fallout not manifesting this season). In addition to Crunchyroll/Ellation being incredibly lackluster in terms of improving site's features (they still don't have offline viewing outside of VRV for god's sake!), and the subscription price increase, I'd expect them to bleed subscribers later this year.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
So many wild takes. I don't think Crunchyroll is done as a result of this. The thing I am actually worried about is censorship because Funimation is dealing with a company from China.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:
So is this a good thing or bad thing?

That would mean FUNi would get about 70% of the anime every season while CR would only get around 10 shows, depending on how many shows they co-produce during the season. But seeing that the amount of their co-produced shows are dwindling, I don't see much hope for CR. I don't count Netflix shows for those since those are using an entirely different model.

given that Latin American fans actually hate Funi because most anime they license get cockblocked there,this is really bad for them...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3