• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Sets 1st Price Increase in U.S., Britain, Australia, Nordics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
I'm not sure what justification they have for this price increase, using either Crunchyroll or VRV is a chore most of the time.

I heard on other sites that it was simply inflation over the years. Just keeping up to where it is "supposed to" be at, to make up the price increases in every other area.

But I really hope they fix their stuff, especially the manga app they broke last update... I like their chapters read progress and features like that, but it REALLY needs to be fixed, cleaned up, and just overhauled.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I constantly have issues with Cruchyroll logging me out on PS4. After Mob Psycho finishes this season, I might drop it because there aren’t any seasonal shows I can’t already watch on HULU.
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Swiftyy wrote:
I'm not sure what justification they have for this price increase, using either Crunchyroll or VRV is a chore most of the time.

I heard on other sites that it was simply inflation over the years. Just keeping up to where it is "supposed to" be at, to make up the price increases in every other area.

But I really hope they fix their stuff, especially the manga app they broke last update... I like their chapters read progress and features like that, but it REALLY needs to be fixed, cleaned up, and just overhauled.

I'm agreeing to inflation and possibly to recoup losses due to company contracts. Funimation is doing something similar as seen here.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
http://www.in2013dollars.com/

US $7 in 2010 → $8.11 in 2019
US $60 in 2010 → $69.55 in 2019

To me it's easily worth more than $100 a year. The difficult decision was whether to lock in Funimation at $60 annual, not knowing how much they'd get that I'd want to watch (I don't watch MHA), but in the end I changed my mind and bought in.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
As others have noted, the fact that CR hadn't increased prices since the day they went legal means that they'd lost value to inflation. $6.95 in 2009 = $8.31 today. So even with this price correction to $7.99, it's still not a net price increase, viewed in the long term.

And back in 2009, they didn't have 1080p streaming or apps for all kinds of random consoles and USB sticks, and their catalogue was a lot smaller.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
Price increase? How about an anime titles increase? They have like 10% of all anime made and they have the nerve to raise the prices on their services? That's why [Name of known pirating site removed] is king.
If people are opting to pirate because they have problems with price corrections, doesn't that mean that piracy is a pricing problem? I guess cult-of-personality leader Gabe Newell was wrong about that "service problem" nonsense.

Sure, there are definitely improvements to be made, but that's no reason to listen to the bad-faith arguments of anti-industry saboteurs who proclaim that the industry needs to "compete with piracy" with magical innovative features. Because once the bootleg streaming sites implement the same features, they'll go right back to the "Why should I pay for what I can get for free? Bad service! Wink" excuse.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, people forget how much CR has grown. When they announced royalty payments to Japan totaling $100 million over ten years, people assumed they meant $10 million per year, but it's obvious the number must have been small at first and much bigger now.

Zalis116 wrote:
Sure, there are definitely improvements to be made, but that's no reason to listen to the bad-faith arguments of anti-industry saboteurs who proclaim that the industry needs to "compete with piracy" with magical innovative features.

The industry should try to offer service at least as good as piracy. I used to pirate various episodes of shows that I could watch on CR or Funimation, even though I was a paying subscriber to both services, because piracy was the only way to watch offline. Now that both offer that feature, I no longer have any reason to do that, and it's more convenient to use the CR/Funi app than have to go through the hassle of downloading from the aforementioned "known pirating site."

But VRV is US-only, so CR customers outside the US still can't watch offline.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Its been awhile since I paid the 12 month subscription but now I never would again. over $20 price increase Shocked I prefer to buy physical copy's of anime's I like then to Stream sub only animes.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
For £39 a year I get Amazon Prime; free next day delivery, discounts, Amazon music and selected titles on Amazon Video, including Anime and Movies.
£65 a year on Crunchyroll gets me Anime titles to stream.
And then there is Hidive, £36 a year, even if it does not have as many titles.

I still the £40 this year, so i will keep it until summer of 2020 and decide then whether to keep it or not, I could always go free and then go back to paid if I change my mind.
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Price increase? How about an anime titles increase? They have like 10% of all anime made and they have the nerve to raise the prices on their services? That's why [Name of known pirating site removed] is king.

MMMMM look at that beautiful censorship.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah a bit late on this. I'm not happy with the increase, it's on the edge of what I'm willing to pay. What sucks even more is that this is shortly after the breakup with funi that yanked some of the shows I wanted to watch. Stings.

If they lose more, I might have to cancel my subscription.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
For £39 a year I get Amazon Prime;

Wow, in the US it's $119 (£90). But the price I'm seeing on Amazon.co.uk is £79. You getting a student discount or something?

chrisc1978 wrote:
I prefer to buy physical copy's of anime's I like then to Stream sub only animes.

"Sub only" isn't exactly right anymore since CR started producing their own dubs. It remains to be seen whether they'll ever rival the scale and speed of Funimation, though. https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/11/09/got-dubs-crunchyroll-boosts-english-dub-library-with-crunchyroll-dubs
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I probably missed this but did they include manga in their regular membership price? I could've sworn I was paying something different, but my bill has been 6.99
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I probably missed this but did they include manga in their regular membership price? I could've sworn I was paying something different, but my bill has been 6.99

Yes.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has some major stability issues and hardware issues. My iPhone 7 and iPad get enough error messages to almost call the app unusable! Crunchyroll answer is its my iPhone 7 ad iPad! I have Apple Care has them run diagnostics on my phone! No issues also zero issues using any other streaming App on my devices! TubiTV, Fox Now,ABC,NBC,Hulu,NetFlix all play without error on both my devices. While the Crunchyroll app displays a video error after the commercials play for every video on the site! I find it’s current services severely overloaded! Under staffed technically and inferior to any other streaming service on the market! Raising prices for a busted service is totally the right move if it improves its Hadware infrastructure!
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
^ Whenever I read so many consecutive sentences ending with exclamation marks, I can't help but picture the author completely out of breath Razz

tygerchickchibi wrote:

Since 2015.
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2015-01-17/unlimited-manga-access-now-available-to-all-crunchyroll-premium-members/.83409

Originally, it was like this: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/30/its-here-crunchyroll-manga-is-now-open
Quote:
Crunchyroll Manga is available through a Crunchyoll Manga membership for $4.95/month, or through a Crunchyroll All-Access membership which includes anime, dramas, and discounts in the Crunchyroll Store for just $11.95/month.

What if I'm currently a Crunchyroll Anime or Drama Member?

Anime and Drama members will only be able to read the latest simulpub chapters with limited advertisements. Anime and Drama members can upgrade to All-Access membership to enjoy all Crunchyroll Manga content ad-free.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3