• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Persona Royal with Cheese

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Persona does one female MC one time, in a spin-off game the creator didn't even direct, and some people act like it became a series standard and every future game that doesn't do it is "a step back". The real step back is P3P removed the entire overworld and turned the non-Tartarus portions of the game into a visual novel, and people want the modern games to be like that. jdnation is 100% correct. It may have been possible in Persona 3 where the MC was a blank slate and the plot was paper thin. But the series has evolved greatly over the past two games, with more complex storytelling and the MCs having much more agency and relevance to the overall plot. In order to incorporate another female MC, you'd have to strip away all the writing and storytelling the franchise has become well loved for over the years in order to accommodate nondescript characters like in the Etrian Odyssey, Pokemon, or Fire Emblem games. Or they'd have to do double the work they do now and essentially make two different games each time, which is completely unreasonable.
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Persona previously had a solo female protagonist in Eternal Punishment, and the series' predecessor SMT if... had male and female protagonist options (with the female protagonist being the "canon" choice and appearing as a supporting character in the first several Persona games).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
They have "time and money" to put effort into an undertaking akin to a whole new game scenario for a re-release???

You do know that the game not only likely went into development while the original game was near it's completion or immediately following it's release but that the game will likely be reusing assets from the original game as well.....so basically neither of those would be an obstacle.

jdnation wrote:

All you're saying is "Gimme gimme gimme I wan it because we're entitled and they have "money"" or something.

Which is weird because that's not what I'm saying so I don't know how you came to the bizarre conclusion. Wanting to include an option for something isn't entitlement.

jdnation wrote:
That's not how this works

I don't think you know how video game development works even on a basic level so you might want to rethink (and do some research) on what you're trying to say instead of pretending like you know what you're talking about.

jdnation wrote:
So far both re-releases of P3 and P4 involved minimum effort that did not entirely require any rewriting or complete changes made to the main scenario. Re-releases of this sort usually look to minimal investment for a higher return with expectations of a lower number of sales.

Check the first post if the game is reusing most of the original game's assets then they don't have much to work on besides adding new character models and tweaking the script (which once again needed to be fixed anyway).

jdnation wrote:
Re-Releases typically sell fewer than the original release,

And? Tecmo Koei re-releases Warrior games repeatedly every new entry and you don't see them stopping because they "supposedly sell fewer copies than the original release".

jdnation wrote:
the re-release of FES was half the sales of P3 on the same platform.

FES wasn't a rerelease though it was an expansion.

jdnation wrote:
(though this is laughable considering how long Atlus takes to release major instalments with multiple delays),

And yet most of their games tend to be more polished and enjoyable than Final Fantasies.

jdnation wrote:

and more about how can they maximize what they invest towards. If the cost goes over a certain line, then they'd more likely shift to a full fledged sequel or new title which would guarantee a higher sales return. Therefore re-releases always get developed on a faster-track with minimal investment.

Once again your point is irrelevant.

Steve Minecraft wrote:
The real step back is P3P removed the entire overworld and turned the non-Tartarus portions of the game into a visual novel,

This wasn't really a deal breaker since it made navigation far easier plus it also allowed you to control your party instead of all their actions being guided by the AI so it still edges out the original simply on that alone.

Steve Minecraft wrote:
But the series has evolved greatly over the past two games, with more complex storytelling and the MCs having much more agency and relevance to the overall plot.

Rise & Teddie along with Ann & Morgana had little relevance to the plot of their respective games. I mean Morgana's role in the story becomes clear (at the end of the game) but even then the story feels like it would lose nothing if you took him out of it.

Steve Minecraft wrote:
In order to incorporate another female MC, you'd have to strip away all the writing and storytelling the franchise has become well loved for

Yeah Persona is nowhere near known for it's storytelling which has always been "shaky" at least from the 3 I've played (don't know about the first two). Let's not even touch the writing either. If there's anything the Persona games are known for it's starting debates about waifus.

Steve Minecraft wrote:
Or they'd have to do double the work they do now and essentially make two different games each time, which is completely unreasonable.

Why does this sound like the same excuse Ubisoft offered up for why Assassin's Creed Unity didn't have any female assassins in the game's multiplayer?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2