• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Coyote Ragtime Show DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure the series will have more going for it but seems most like it because it's a girls and guns show with action and violence and very little plot. Which is not such a bad thing. After all everyone's got to have their "guilty pleasures" as well as their interests.

Well, it had the 12 sisters going for it, but they don't do much after the first episode or two.

Hahahaha!!! Awwww!!!
You have to admit the art is good. That's the one part that gets the 'A'. Razz
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You asked the "EVERYTHING SUCKS RRARRRGGGHHH" crowd what they thought of a show and they replied "IT SUCKS RRRARRRGGGHH" and somehow that "opinion" is worth something to you?

I'm not defending the show - I haven't seen it - but why in the world would you put any faith in what a mass of angry anonymous internet teens have to say?

The use of "sage" is usually indicative of trolling, which is the phenomenon I believe you are describing. In any matter, though, there's always a few supporters of a show in any given topic, even the most outrageously bland or dumb; to recieve absolutely no support whatsoever was, frankly, strange. There weren't even trolls pretending to support the show just to goad me into watching it, which in itself is also unusual.

To address your question, I value Yotsuba's comments on the same level as ANN's, primarily because there's one distinctive advantage to them; justification can be provided en masse. Granted, reviews like this one are very insightful, but said reviews are not necessarily in congruence with what an "average fan" would like; frankly, I'd think reviewers on ANN have more refined tastes and sharpened awareness for quality simply by virtue of exposure to large quantities of anime. Such would inherently bias many 'cheap' shows licensed in the West negatively. I cannot say I wouldn't be surprised; there are so many terrible, or at least outrageously generic shows released every season it's got to be taxing for anyone to tackle even a fraction of that kind of material.

The alternative form of obtaining 'reviews' on a show are the "My-Anime/My-Manga" function of this website, but in contrast to the above example there's little justification for the ratings, and given the mentality of many internet folk they are more trigger-prone for voting in "absolutes", such as "BEST ANIMU EVA!!1" (Masterpiece) or "SHIZ SUX LOL" (Worst ever); I would surmise these stats would lean toward the positive, since people would be either intent on voting for a show they really enjoyed or actively hated, with emphasis on the former.

At best, the 'ratings' system would be but a vague indicator of quality, while the review section a far more reliable yet still skewed measure of potential enjoyment. Ideally, if ANN had an "oligarchy" of five or six reviewers who would review the same product, with perhaps one or two alternating reviewers, such would provide an extremely reliable and solid basis for judgiing whether or not a show will be entertaining.
Elchfaenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
Well, that review is pretty much the same I thought about this anime.
The story was boring, with stupid and senseless elements, the "Coyotes" including the girl Franca a little bit flat as characters, BUT---- I still couldn't stop watching because of the action, the great animation the inspector Angelica (much more interesting than the whole Coyote crew, not only fanservice-wise Wink ) and I couldn't help but being fascinated by the Twelve Sisters. Still that comparison "strawberry panic with guns" hits the nail on the head. But heck, I watched Strawberry Panic too!
So all in all, nothing really recommendable and nothing really revolting. If you need to kill time and have nothing else to watch, this might be good enough.
AnBuOtakU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Its cheesy, and plot is kinda confusing ( I did get excited on the 1st ep when they mentioned the man vs alien insect wars... but unfortunately that had nothing to do with the series. )

Lots of loli's with guns, thats always a plus... I agree with Elchfaenger, this anime's is only good for killing time.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
I found it funny that the ADV interview pitched this show as the hottest upcoming titles.

Quote:
The truth is everyone on staff fell in love with it on sight. This is a hot show! The pilot episode is one of the best I've ever seen. People couldn't wait to start working on it.
Then there's the fact that Coyote Ragtime Show captured a great audience in Japan last summer. We think Coyote is a show with broad appeal, and we wanted to try something different with it. So we started working on the DVD release just as soon as we could get materials in.

Didn't I remember seeing this show on the Kuso awards list? I also found the first DVD mediocre, and will continue the series since it is rather short. If the series was 50+ episodes or if ADV were to stretch it out onto 4 DVDs like they did Area 88 I think I would give up at this point, but I can deal with 2 more DVDs.

I really hope that ADV gets out of there weak title slump. Although I really enjoyed Utawarerumono DVD 1 and the Jinki Extend series ADV really hasn't offered too many great titles since 2005.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I really hope that ADV gets out of there weak title slump. Although I really enjoyed Utawarerumono DVD 1 and the Jinki Extend series ADV really hasn't offered too many great titles since 2005.

At least the ones that were good were really, really good. ^^;; But, yeah, they definately were overexaggerating how good this show really is. (Although...it's a marketing thing. I don't think you're ever going to interview someone when they're working on a new project and have them say "well, it sucks really.")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I found it funny that the ADV interview pitched this show as the hottest upcoming titles.

Yeah, as Morwen said, he's not going to come and say "yeah ... it's alright" or "well it kind of sucks but we hope you buy it anyways". Not only is that poor marketing on their part but that guy wouldn't have a job by the end of the day had he done that.

As for the slump, honestly I felt that all of 2006 was a slump. This last year was probably the slowest year for buying anime I've encountered which is odd coming off of 2005 which was probably the fastest.

I'm still interested though, despite the comments. I understand it's not a deep or meaningful or high end show. To be honest, I have way too many of those and not enough simple time killers. This looks like a good, cheaper option and a show that I still feel I'll enjoy to that extent. It's no masterpiece, but I think it'll fit the bill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drakonslair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Id probably agree with most of what was said in the review but for me the show was entertaining.. I like the "light" shows.

You watch a lot of excellant series get really connected to the characters and it can be draining. I love having shows such as these which are generally just light entertainment to balance out the "heavy" ones. I dont go into them expecting too much and so I am not disappointed. If its better than I though well yay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2