• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime Gets Sequel Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
So that means we have to wait for season 2 in TWO YEARS. RIP season 2.
The anime studio also has to be aware it's getting a US TV broadcast so this seems like a bad move to kill momentum for the franchise.

Yes, because japanese do all in fonction of the US Rolling Eyes
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Interesting... I can't think of the last time a single arc was done as a movie, and then continued as another season tv production (without also a bunch of recap movies). As mentioned the arc could work... You know, for me personally, this might be an ok thing. Why? Because I have a Shonen Jump sub and maybe by the time S2 rolls around, Viz will have the bridges gap, since they are going the route of waiting for the book volumes to release before putting up any more chapters for subbers... (I've been reading, then watching) About 7 volumes behind to where their sub of single-chapters started, so hopefully by then they will be *somewhat* caught up. At least, enough to watch S2...
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Because ufotable is apparently working on it, I bet it's going to attain the same level of visual quality as that of the Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel film trilogy.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Are there any cases of a show going from a season to a movie then back to a season? Because the only examples i can remember are boruto and dragon ball super, but they did that by adapting their respective movies into episodes.
Psycho-Pass just recently? Though couple of it's short movies were a prequels though, plus it's original project not tied to any media.

And we can discount the adaptations of long-running anime that have movies and anime seasons that not really ties with each other plots, like MHA or Gintama.
Lorain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Are there any cases of a show going from a season to a movie then back to a season? Because the only examples i can remember are boruto and dragon ball super, but they did that by adapting their respective movies into episodes.

Made in Abyss went from a season to adapting the sequel arc into a film. However we aren't sure if there will be any sequels past the film and the format they may be in.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
Oh great. A movie that most in small town anywhere not in Japan will basically have no way of watching before season 2 (TV) comes out!! Are the producers begging people to pirate this?? If it was a side story then fine no one would care but the movie is going to cover a main story arc.

Maybe CR will pull a miracle and air it before the next season airs. Otherwise what choice will people have but to?

0/10 decision
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
Something that frustrates me about shows that go this route of TV Anime >> Movie is just how behind we are in terms of getting anime movies outside of Japan. The majority of those movies will never have a theatrical run worldwide, with only a small amount of them screening in the US, and an even smaller amount of that selection ever coming out to other countries/stream on CR, usually over a year after the fact. It just kills my personal involvement with the franchise, seeing all the JP people I follow talk about a movie that I won't be able to watch in half a year if I'm lucky. I just wish the system to give these movies a worldwide release would be more effective
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:18 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Something that frustrates me about shows that go this route of TV Anime >> Movie is just how behind we are in terms of getting anime movies outside of Japan. The majority of those movies will never have a theatrical run worldwide, with only a small amount of them screening in the US, and an even smaller amount of that selection ever coming out to other countries/stream on CR, usually over a year after the fact. It just kills my personal involvement with the franchise, seeing all the JP people I follow talk about a movie that I won't be able to watch in half a year if I'm lucky. I just wish the system to give these movies a worldwide release would be more effective

This is a mainstream Jump movie though? The chance it'll get US screening is pretty high, considering US get most of the popular Jump movies in recent years. The folks in East Asian+SEA region will probably also get this as well.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:50 am Reply with quote
Lorain wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Made in Abyss went from a season to adapting the sequel arc into a film. However we aren't sure if there will be any sequels past the film and the format they may be in.

That's what i'm concerned about. That adaptations like made in abyss, konosuba, saga of tanya, goblin slayer, and now KnY going from tv seasons to movies/ova won't get continuations in the form of seasons. Because personally, these movies will never see theatrical release in my country, not even big shounen movies and legal dvd's are also hard to come by.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:24 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:

This is a mainstream Jump movie though? The chance it'll get US screening is pretty high, considering US get most of the popular Jump movies in recent years. The folks in East Asian+SEA region will probably also get this as well.

I'm not really sure why you chose to highlight that bit tbh. You do realize the US is not in fact "worldwide"? And that even if it does get screenings in the US, those will be really limited both location-wise and timewise? And once those screenings are over, people will probably have no way to watch the movie other than importing the JP BDs or Aniplex's super expensive sets?

I am aware that this being a Jump movie for a very popular show, it's almost certain it will get screened outside of Japan, and I am lucky enough to live in a city where, if the movie ever does make it to my country, I won't have a problem finding a screening close to home.

But that's not the point. That doesn't change the fact that the possibilities to watch these movies are extremely limited. They are screened over just a handful of locations, over only a couple of days. Very, very few people outside of Japan will ever have a chance to catch one of those screenings. And missing that, there's no other way to watch these movies. Which is the point- and you even bolded it on your own- that currently, there is no real system to make the majority of these movies available outside of Japan, and I wish the industry could figure out some way to increase that availability worldwide, not just "Japan and 10 movie theatres in the US"
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
BlueCatMage wrote:
I'm still really very very very scared that after the movie there won't be a season 2. I mean, it's such a rare move for a series as good as this one to go from one season, to a movie, and back to a season 2.

I'd like to think that if Date A Live can do it, Demon Slayer can too. Sure, situation may be a little different, since DAL had the movie after its 2nd season. But, it's also getting a 4th season (apparently), along with an adaption of a Kurumi spin-off.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
If NF can get the rights to a movie, I don't see any reason why CR can't do the same? CR is backed by big money now so they could do it...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

The K franchise did it; the movie Missing Kings is a direct follow-up to the first TV series and a direct set-up for the second, to the point that anyone who skipped the movie will be lost at the beginning of the second season. IIRC, the movie was available streaming before the second season started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The K franchise did it; the movie Missing Kings is a direct follow-up to the first TV series and a direct set-up for the second, to the point that anyone who skipped the movie will be lost at the beginning of the second season. IIRC, the movie was available streaming before the second season started.

Thank you!, can't believe i forgot that example since i have watched both seasons and the movie. Ultimately, i think this is a bigger issue if the series isn't an adaptation and/or not popular enough that a summary of the movie would be found online. Still sucks though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2