• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Wrestling with Problems

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Blizzcon 2019 in a nutshell

Amazing how quickly everyone forgot that boycott.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Such is the fate of all boycotts. Hopefully now that BlizzCon wasn't the absolute disaster people were insisting it was going to be, we can move on from all this. Diablo 4 going back to its roots and being more like the dark and gothic Diablo 2 is welcome news, though. I'll definitely keep tabs on that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
liquidblueocean wrote:
I thought this column was about anime related games,

Even the X Button (the precursor to this series) when Todd was writing it, wasn't exclusively about anime or japanese related games even the Japanese game sales articles that get featured weekly contain games that aren't japanese in origin.

liquidblueocean wrote:
which is why I read it. Not a mention of anything remotely related this week Sad Were there only the sound of crickets in the anime related games this week? Article doesn't even mention the absence of them...

You can go to Siliconera if you need to be bombarded with news about Sun & Moon, that Atelier game, Tecmo Koei releasing another laughably expensive season pass for DoA6, Vegetto and Gotenks being in the new DragonBall Z game, or Tomoya Ohtani releasing a new remix of Pumpkin Hill's theme for no reason.

Heidi's only one person she isn't going to be able to cover and anything that happens exclusively in one segment of the video game market

Crispy45 wrote:
[ I think it's clear Kojima is at his best when he had Konami around to reign him in and veto his more stupid ideas and decisions.

Metal Gear Solid 2 had some really iffy writing decisions don't see anywhere that looked like Konami had stepped in to reign him in.......they did however do this with Phantom Pain and it did not actually help or benefit the game.

Crispy45 wrote:
Maybe due to the names attached to the project or fear of backlash from Kojima's fanbase.

....Sons Of Liberty, Twin Snakes, Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain are easily among the most divisive games (all of which are Metal Gear games) Kojima has worked on.....there would've been no backlash from Kojima's fanbase.

I mean hell Phantom Pain's perfect scores actually ticked people off rather then got praise.

Crispy45 wrote:

And I'm not sure what Jim Sterling said, but if he thinks the Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 isn't going to sell 20 million copies each then he's crazy.

ES6 can "probably" sell that many copies Fallout 5?

v1cious wrote:

To be pretty fair had all this happened days ahead of Blizzcon instead of weeks it probably would've been different. Ultimately though Blizzard still came off looking pretty shitty and it will definitely be interesting to see if Diablo 4 avoids pissing off people like 3 did.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Such is the fate of all boycotts.

To be fair I don't think the people calling for a boycott were Blizzard fans, just general leftists on social media. That 10 year old kid who ran around screaming "Free Hong Kong" did something similar at an NBA game a while back. He was on Twitter bragging how people bought him a second hand ticket to send him there so he could try to distrupt the convention. He probably has never played a Blizzard game in his life. Be very wary of astroturfing with issues like this.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I like how you said this and then in the very same post claimed with zero evidence that the Blizzcon protests are secretly controlled by a "far-left" group (whose evil "far-left" agenda includes...being in favor of personal privacy. Oh noes! Not that!)

In my defense I did link to the actual organization's website but I guess the mods deleted my post Laughing

Quote:
No matter how fun and shiny Blizzard's latest sequel (to a sequel to a sequel) is, that doesn't make their policy of silencing China's critics okay. Some things are more important than your lootbox shooter, my dude.

Does some things include being nice to people? Because you guys say this yet when VKLiooon, a Chinese girl, won the Global Hearthstone Championship people are currently trying to devalue her accomplishment by accusing her win of being paid for by Blizzard's Chinese masters, or accuse her of just being boosted up to make China look good and all kinds of derogatory and racist stuff bring thrown at her for her heritage.

Chinese people play Blizzard games. It shouldn't be too surprising why Blizzard doesn't feel their children's card game tournament is an appropriate place to be discussing divisive political issues and making people feel targeted or unwelcome. I imagine you'd get the same treatment as if you tried to talk about the Israeli–Palestinian conflict in a talkback thread here. There's a time and a place for everything.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
Diablo 4 going back to its roots and being more like the dark and gothic Diablo 2 is welcome news, though. I'll definitely keep tabs on that.

I'm hopeful, but I'm not holding my breath. The cinematic sure looks like their are nailing the classic Gothic horror pretty well, but the gameplay video looks just like Diablo 3. I'm keeping tabs on it for sure, but I really want to see more gameplay footage because right now I'm not convinced there is all that much of a change.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Chinese people play Blizzard games. It shouldn't be too surprising why Blizzard doesn't feel their children's card game tournament is an appropriate place to be discussing divisive political issues

Except that's not what their thought process was when they did what they did. And even then politics messy as it is, is something kids eventually have to learn about just like sex. Not that it matters considering China makes it very hard for it's citizens to become aware of the fact their government is not actually good or looking out for their interests.

DavetheUsher wrote:

and making people feel targeted or unwelcome. I imagine you'd get the same treatment as if you tried to talk about the Israeli–Palestinian conflict in a talkback thread here. There's a time and a place for everything.

Except once again China doesn't want anybody talking about the government specifically if it's negative. So in their eyes there is no time or a place to talk about terrible policies and mandates that effect millions of people even those that don't actually live in mainland China. Let's not actually try to pull a "To Be Fair" with this.

Blizzard did something wrong to appease the Chinese Government who they're in bed with, received justified criticism and condemnation.

End of story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2