• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Receive Nominations for 92nd Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
So the 3 categories I was interested in have nothing I am interested in, so looks like I won’t be watching it this year.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Dear Academy. I don´t really care but don´t snub Joker after the avalanche of noms. It really is the best US film of 2019.

It wasn't so good it needed 11 nominations.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Klaus is the only one I'm willing to see win, and The Lion King (2019) and The Rise of Skywalker I'm willing to see lose.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I think Missing Link won the Golden Globe in part because Frozen II and Toy Story 4 split the vote too much. Now that only one of them is nominated, it'll be much more difficult. Toy Story 4 WAS a great film, but I would prefer to see Missing Link take this trophy too. It would make up for its awful box office, finally give Laika an Oscar, and help Disney loose twice in a row. It does seem like the Academy is getting tired of sequels, and that's a good thing. I hope this award becomes more about the best quality film, and not "the one my kids liked."

But I do wish Weathering with You was nominated...
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Thought Promare might get a nod, but it''s probably be too over-the-top for the Academy.

No way. Promare is the very definition of a popcorn flick. Big, flashy, fun, but no substance. I can't see an award show acknowledging it. The only anime that would ever be nominated in an American award show is a Ghibli film or a Makoto Shinkai film. If Avengers: Endgame can only get 1 nomination, then Promare had 0 chances.

residentgrigo wrote:
Dear Academy. I don´t really care but don´t snub Joker after the avalanche of noms. It really is the best US film of 2019.

Genuinely surprised Joker wasn't snubbed, given the amount of hate from 'professionals' it got over a completely fabricated non-issue. Glad to see even the Oscars had to acknowledge it's strengths and achievements.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This was just overall a really weak year for animated movies, anime or not. Heck weak year for all movies, besides a few rare standouts.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, we don't need or want their approval.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I think we can all agree the outcome would be different if Broly was submitted. Smile
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, none of those were particularly good.
residentgrigo wrote:

Absolutely! And Phoenix lives up to Ledger’s Joker, so he absolutely deserves a win, too!
milkyy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Another year, another post to remind people to not care at all about award shows! It's all a farce, people.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
milkyy wrote:
Another year, another post to remind people to not care at all about award shows! It's all a farce, people.

Honestly I doubt half the people in this thread even knows what channel the oscars airs on, and I include myself in that.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ANN: No anime films receive nominations for 92nd Oscars

Anime: Oh S**T!!! Here we go again.

The truth foretold that anime films wasn't a huge success for an Oscars or any annual Film Awards nod out there unlike Disney/Pixar or any 3D Animated films. The only anime industry that have a huge success today are airing on TV, Netflix, Crunchyroll & Amazon Prime, and after that that's it, its the end of the road! And there are so many reasons why anime films couldn't make it to the Oscars or any annual Film Awards like anime are too mature & sexually explicit [hentai anyone?], it's not very Westernized unlike the 3D films, lack of true & good quality stories [like those two previous films of Makoto Shinkai] which is too mediocre, etc., etc. And that's the weaknesses of the anime industry as of now.

Unless if any of the 2 anime films of Violet Evergarden which is produced by Kyoto Animation would make a cut at the Oscars or any annual film awards to get it's nod & miraculously won it against the TITANS of Disney/Pixar or any 3D movies next year then that great! And we all know on what happened to that studio company last year on an arson incident, then we all know that there'll be a sympathy voting coming from the Academy judges if one of the 2 Violet Evergarden films would get a nod at the Oscars next year. But for now we will wait. Rolling Eyes
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Quote:
In addition, the live-action Alita: Battle Angel film did not receive a nomination in the Visual Effects category. The film made the shortlist for the award. The nominees in the category are Avengers: Endgame, The Irishman, The Lion King, 1917, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Sounds fair, because who wants another Disney film monopolizing the competition? Laughing

Technically it is one of the last independent Fox films, so Disney wouldn't get the not. Unless they used ILM, in which yeah, Disney would get the nod.

Aside from that, kinda getting over the Oscars and a lot more of the high profile awards these days. They mainly seem like self-pats-on-back while snubbing worthy contenders. It's more about promotion rather than the actual quality.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:

Honestly I doubt half the people in this thread even knows what channel the oscars airs on, and I include myself in that.

I mean that's information that's easily discovered using the internet for one, two the nominations and the results get thrown up on the internet as well minutes after the fact so it's not anyone needs to watch it on ABC.
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Klaus is the only one I'm willing to see win, and The Lion King (2019) and The Rise of Skywalker I'm willing to see lose.

I love the movie "Klaus". It was a surprise hit for me, so I'm totally on board with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3