• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Millionaire Detective - Balance: UNLIMITED

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
lol, Daisuke sister(?) really care about her brother(?) a lot. Episode 4 was overall really nice, I enjoy it the most so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
My take was that somehow he didn't recognize it as a bath. He's probably grown up with baths like an onsen, with a shower and swimming pool sized bath. Since Haru almost certainly didn't have an extra bed and was probably too drunk to lay out a futon for him, he went looking and picked the most likely place. Even if he's not so sheltered as to mistake it for a bed, he probably thought it was preferable to sleeping on the floor in a place he considered a roach motel.

Daisuke needs to let his hair down more, both literally and figuratively. Wink

Storywise, it's kind of a hole that they foreshadowed the ending by mentioning the breeder, but never checked with them in case Shirou went back to the home he knew best. Also Suzuku was practically a different character this episode. Maybe I'm just misremembering because of the gap, but as I recall she's always been almost as cool and aloof as Daisuke until now, and her becoming this unhinged rather than just worried, felt so out of character I couldn't buy it. Grammy was awesome though. "Was it because I updated his shoes?" "Yep, that must be it." I also highly approve of Haru's milk-buying code.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Storywise, it's kind of a hole that they foreshadowed the ending by mentioning the breeder, but never checked with them in case Shirou went back to the home he knew best.

I sat there in amazement at how dumb they looked for not checking with the breeder in the first place. Haru could have stayed with the kid and Daisuke could have gone to the breeder's. That they didn't do so made me wonder about their investigative abilities.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That he's also starting to see the consequences of his choices in the fact that he doesn't have the clearance to see the bomb plans is another good detail of this episode, and one that will bear keeping an eye on going forward.

I’m not sure how I feel about this sentence. I mean, on the one hand, that wasn’t my take on the situation, but I guess maybe I can see it? My thought was that while he has quite a few unlimited whatevers like money and gadgets, because he’s not actually the head of the family, he doesn't have access to certain pieces of information or secrets like his grandmother does. But maybe that is a consequence because he doesn’t want to be head? But it also just didn’t seem that way to me with regards to Daisuke that he was seeing the consequences of his actions as I was watching. IDK!

Either way, this episode certainly put Elderly Gentleman into the spotlight and I’m definitely curious to see where that goes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 am Reply with quote
To me, the significance of that scene was his realization that his family was up to things he was kept in the dark about, and given the somewhat shady things he's already aware of, like the bomb components, he found that disturbing. He may also be thinking about just where all his money actually comes from. But I guess he's already started thinking about that, which is why he doesn't want to be the family head, and is trying to use that money for good.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
To me, the significance of that scene was his realization that his family was up to things he was kept in the dark about, and given the somewhat shady things he's already aware of, like the bomb components, he found that disturbing. He may also be thinking about just where all his money actually comes from. But I guess he's already started thinking about that, which is why he doesn't want to be the family head, and is trying to use that money for good.

Basically this! Thank you for laying it out much more eloquently than I did. Anime smallmouth
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In all honesty, I didn't see her death coming until it was seconds away

I was fully expecting her to kill herself, actually. They made it seem like she was about to pull a gun on Cho (just her phone, I guess?) right in the police station, and leaving the distraught suspect alone is always a red flag. I felt bad for the green lawyer they sent to his death.

When Suzuku said she'd been denied too few times to see a pattern, I thought that ought to make it easier to see a pattern, since the instances would be easier to remember if few.

This week's minor plot hole was Imura never questioning the total lack of interest the police displayed over the victim she believed she ran down. Good thing she didn't run around to the front of the car to check on him. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
These last couple of eps should make anyone with a computer controlled car hesitant to get in. Laughing

There is no element with the symbol "M".

How does a dash cam capture someone following you?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Shocked

I totally missed that leap of logic! Maybe it's a property of the mysterious element symbolized by M. Laughing
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Shocked

I totally missed that leap of logic! Maybe it's a property of the mysterious element symbolized by M. Laughing

Good point, but speaking as a True Nerd, well, there are some dash cams that have a second camera that points to the back. The really fancy ones stick one on the back window, some are just on the end of the rear view mirror. Minor point, hope I didn't annoy.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Not at all, I know basically nothing about dash cams, so that's good to know! I'm also hardly one to point the True Nerd finger - let's just say that you never want to watch a Jane Austen adaptation with me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
I know there are rear cams mounted on the back window or the shelf below it (do cars even still have that little storage space behind rear passengers' heads anymore?). But those would not be dash cams.

I wonder why this whole episode was letterboxed? I thought it was an affect for the flashbacks, but it never expanded to full screen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I think I'm having a Mandela Effect moment here. I thought Daisuke remembered being with his mother on the street when she was attacked and stabbed, but now he remembers seeing his father standing over her with a bloody knife in her rented apartment (why was he out in the rain and climbing onto the balcony in the first place?). I'm assuming the second scenario is the true one since that's where the police found the body, but where am I getting that first bit from? Did I import the scene I'm thinking of (in the rain, with her carrying an umbrella that shielded him from actually seeing her get stabbed, and someone taking him away from the scene) from another series? oO Does anyone recognize that scene from wherever I apparently lifted it from? I can't seem to find it on a quick scan of the episodes, but I remember thinking it was odd that no one seemed to be concerned about a motive for this random attack on the street. Gah, my brain is trembling! ::chews fingers::
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought Daisuke remembered being with his mother on the street when she was attacked

I don’t remember this, so it’s possible it’s from another series. Although now I feel the need to rewatch the series so far just in case it did happen and I forgot about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Whew, I figured it out. Apparently my brain imported it from Kosame's backstory in Episode 8 of Appare-Ranman. Laughing Although I guess I added the umbrella and the rain... ::scratches head:: Still leaves me wondering why little Daisuke was out in the rain climbing onto the balcony to sneak into the apartment.

Gods, I hope they don't end this like Die Hard with Haru "reclaiming his manhood" by recovering his ability to shoot someone with a gun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3