• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Korean Game Accused of Plagiarizing Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Ends Service 5 Days Aft

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:47 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
But the bolded part is what exactly happened in this case though? Nobody's going to take this ear-slaying demon to court, not Shueisha nor the Sword Master story dev (who is also from south Korea). The game staff don't even acknowledge that they're plagiarizing other works.
Not really - in just 5 days from launch you barely can make a solid appliance, so we don't know if Shueisha or the Sword Master lawyers actually did it (you need months, even years sometimes to just get the copyright infringement case to the court even in strict pro-copyright countries like US and Japan, and even more - to get a sentence), or publisher can make enough money from that kind of scheme (that is usually take a couple of months too).

More likely it is the consequences of the threat from the lawyers representing the right owners, which forced the game publisher to take down the game abruptly before they get striked.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
reading this article,I was like "okay, that's a pretty generic premise, maybe it's not--" and then I saw the art and I did a spittake. Geez, how blatant can you get? It's not like KnY is a tiny unknown property, either. Did they really think no one was going to notice?

They probably did expect it to get noticed, but were hoping that it would take longer before any rights owners got involved. It's unfortunately pretty common for mobile games to mimic, if not outright lift, things from popular entertainment in the hopes that they'll generate a decent amount of revenue before somebody takes legal action since many players either don't know or don't care that they aren't contributing to a legitimate product. Once caught, they can take it down and reuse the mechanics on another game.

A couple of days ago, one of the ads I saw on Youtube was for a game that prominently featured 2B from Nier Automata with the only difference being that she had a sword that didn't appear in that game. Whoever made it didn't even take the time to tweak the character to even slightly hide it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Well — that's SK for you, at least it's easy to prove the copyright infringement and plagiarism even without going to the court.
Now, look at PRC, where no one gives a single shit about even outright stealing assets from other games...

No one? I’ve seen countless internet flame wars from mainland netizens regarding outright plagiarisms of games and many of them were taken down just as this one.

Can we refrain from mean-spirited generalizations and acting it’s righteous and justified?

Here's CNBC confirming this "mean-spirited generalization" is a real issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anonymykami

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The guy in the first screenshot (the MC presumably) has a different facial structure when compared to Tanjiro from KNY. He also has a diffrrent hairstyle than Tanjiro's. The scar is also different, and there being a scar in the first place is basically unavoidable with the character's background info.

The only other character I could find that resembled a character from KNY with an actual distinct design would be the red, long-haired character, with the red and white color pallete in the clothes, in the 4th screenshot. He reminds me of the fire hashira. Then again, there's another character in that screenshot (in the forefront) that also has red hair and red and white clothing. Also, there's another female character in the 3rd screenshot with red and white clothing. There's one character that reminds me of Shinobu, but the only thing they have in common is their clothes (the style of clothing that women TYPICALLY wear in these time periods), their hair color (typical black), and their GENERIC faces.

Lastly, the MC's family being killed by monsters, and that MC avenging his family by going on a journey to kill those monsters, is not an original concept. Even the term "demon" is super vague; the monsters in KNY are unique enough to be called something more original, but they aren't. I never played this game, but I wouldn't be surprised if their monsters were unique in their own way as well, so, just because they are called demons, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's an act of plagiarism.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
If anything it brings in more fans to the series. The game looks like garbage though, similar to old school Double Dragon, Final Fight it Streets of Rage. Hopefully this just encourages them to team up with someone like Bandai Namco and make a worthy game of the series. Game is mobile and if you just go in any App Store there’s copies of copies all over the place. Thank me captain obvious.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
anonymykami wrote:
snip

Did you sign up just to defend this obvious piece of theft?
The logo is a clear rip of the Demon Slayer logo.

One of the ways people steal things is by taking an established character and tweaking them *just* slightly, i.e. changing the hair, giving them a scar. That doesn't change the fact it's obviously stolen. If you put the pictures of the main dude in front of anyone with a passing recognition of Demon Slayer, they'd be like "Hey, isn't that the guy from Demon Slayer".
Another way of stealing things is to "franken doll", that is, copy different parts from different pictures so it doesn't immediately look like a picture. So in this case, it looks like they copied the face from one picture, copy the pose from another, etc so the picture will look familiar but you can't find the exact image it's taken from.

In terms of stuff like the girl who looks like Shinobu; the fact the image is so small yet people are looking at it and thinking hmmm that looks like Shinobu makes me feel it goes beyond a bunch of design coincidences.

Anyway tl;dr this is not something worth trying to defend. It's blatantly ripping off of Demon Slayer. Little things like slight face structure difference (probably because the artists copied, rather than traced), or slight tweaks in design like a scar or hair style don't change anything.
Really wasn't you going to the effort of signing up to here just to defend a game made by a bunch of thieves.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
I’m sorry but it’s absolutely hysterical that they thought they could literally and blatantly copy character design. The first thing I thought of when I saw that game was Tanjiro and that being the first demon he fought
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2