• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Anime Internet Distribution Market Overtakes Home Video Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
American animation is constrained by the American perception that animation is for kids, and the dictates of the religious right and the progressive left.

The new all-ages Ducktales has a character with 2 married fathers (they didn´t speak but were impossible to miss) so even Disney is beginning to move forward. Shows like South Park (it won Emmis and the film was up for an Oscar for best song) are impossible to make in Japan due to a lack of parody protection and the new Mortal Kombat animated film is only 2 weeks old: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9580138/
The just releases final New 52 DC film is more or less the "Snyder Cut". It´s that bleak and dour:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11079148/?ref_=tt_sims_tti
It and the 2018 Suicide Squad toon film have balls to the wall gore (SS 2018 also technically has 2 short shots of bare breasts), Harley Quinn´s TV-Ma toon is basically Venture Bros. 2.0 and has constant swearing, gore, drugs, etc and Superman murders Stalin on-screen in Superman: Red Son (2020)!
That scene is an invention for the film btw. Manga have no problems commenting on RL world leaders but you can´t say that about anime. It´s fair to say that WB/DC stopped giving any f##ks at this point as long as Batman keeps his Bat-schlong in his pants. Look up Batman Damned. We were this close to normalizing nudity for AAA characters in mainstream cape comics...
Spawn is getting a new toon film btw. That 90s HBO toon was legit but was sadly ahead of its time.

Castlevania ain´t an anime, Batman TAS (only the Batman Beyond film is technically PG-13 from the original run) is one of the most influential TV shows of all time, etc. I like my anime just fine but mainstream "adult" toons easily existed since the 90s. MTV´s Downtown, Daria, etc. Adult-ish anime can also be traced back not to just the first 3rd of Lupin Part 1 in 1971 but to Kamui Gaiden 1969.
Fritz the Cat, on the other hand, came out in 1972. Its X rating is way over the top btw.

PS: Justice League Dark: Apokolips War says that John Constantine dated King Shark. Constantine is bisexual in the comics but they really are going places with their recent adaptations: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/05/07/justice-league-dark-apokolips-war-john-constantine-king-shark/
He further had sex with the female avatar of the city of Los Angeles in his toon film. Also rated R.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
American animation is constrained by the American perception that animation is for kids, and the dictates of the religious right and the progressive left.

The new all-ages Ducktales has a character with 2 married fathers (they didn´t speak but were impossible to miss) so even Disney is beginning to move forward.

Nickelodeon's hit show The Loud House has gay parents too (a black and a white even) and a bisexual 15-yr-old girl (crushing on her brother's male tutor and romancing her female BFF) - yet if there's one word to describe that show, it's "wholesome" (even with a premise straight out of an anime - a family of 11 siblings comprising the MC middle brother surrounded by his 10 sisters Laughing )

residentgrigo wrote:

Harley Quinn´s TV-Ma toon is basically Venture Bros. 2.0 and has constant swearing, gore, drugs, etc

Penny from Big Bang Theory Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2