• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maison Ikkoku Collector's Edition Volume 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
I have the "2nd Edition" volumes that Viz released a few years ago. Beyond the translation and cover art, are there any CONTENT differences, such as previously unreleased chapters? I'm debating on whether or not to pick-up the new version...

No, the second edition included all the chapters. As far as I know, there won't be any major content differences.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:37 am Reply with quote
Got the original Viz releases

One of those past-high school stories that have a beginning, middle, and an end

Time even passes like seasons - they begin in their late teens and end in their mid-20s
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Akcoll99 wrote:
I have the "2nd Edition" volumes that Viz released a few years ago. Beyond the translation and cover art, are there any CONTENT differences, such as previously unreleased chapters? I'm debating on whether or not to pick-up the new version...

No, the second edition included all the chapters. As far as I know, there won't be any major content differences.

Ok, thanks for confirming that!
melmouth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the first manga I loved totally (the other being Strawberry 100 Percent). I would like to have the series too, but I too worry about Americanized, "modernized" translation. I'll be keeping my eyes open for reports of such.
Larinelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Is it known how many volumes this edition will have?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Time even passes like seasons - they begin in their late teens and end in their mid-20s

They don't even start out as teens. At the beginning of the manga, Godai is 20 years old, Kyoko is 22. By the end of the manga they are in their late-20s (26 and 28).
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Larinelle wrote:
Is it known how many volumes this edition will have?

I did a quick search and the series has been released as both 10 volumes and 15. Going by a page count comparison from GoodReads stats with the count on B&N, it'll probably be 10 volumes rather than the previous Viz release of 15. This new volume is around a hundred pages more at the previous releases.
Larinelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 pm Reply with quote
In terms of page count that would make sense, but Amazon is rather confusing, calling them1/2/3 of 3 books:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B08BFPMK1P/ref=dp_st_1974711889
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
The release was pushed back! You'll be able to pick up your copy in September (although pre-orders are probably open)

Okay then, any reason why it was pushed back suddenly? Even less than a week out it had the original release date...just seems odd.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
ohstalon06 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
The release was pushed back! You'll be able to pick up your copy in September (although pre-orders are probably open)

Okay then, any reason why it was pushed back suddenly? Even less than a week out it had the original release date...just seems odd.

COVID, probably. Some websites didn't change the info on their page saying when an item was going to release since they didn't always know when production could resume. I ordered all 3 of Udon's scheduled Rose of Versailles releases about a week before volume 2 was supposed to come out in May, but didn't get a notice about 2 being pushed back to July until after the original ship date had passed. I also got a notice about volume 3 before 2. I'm not surprised since the production of everything was up in the air around May. I also won't be surprised if it gets pushed back a little more again before fall hits.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
COVID, probably. Some websites didn't change the info on their page saying when an item was going to release since they didn't always know when production could resume. I ordered all 3 of Udon's scheduled Rose of Versailles releases about a week before volume 2 was supposed to come out in May, but didn't get a notice about 2 being pushed back to July until after the original ship date had passed. I also got a notice about volume 3 before 2. I'm not surprised since the production of everything was up in the air around May. I also won't be surprised if it gets pushed back a little more again before fall hits.

In Udon's case, delays for their highest-profile releases can be rather common for them, COVID or no, though that definitely doesn't help. With the other publishers, yeah, it's the pandemic.

Somewhat annoyed when I got the email about this new Maison Ikkoku vol. 1 being delayed, but it's not like I'd never read it before-- we still have our first edition graphic novels here. Wasn't sure if there'd be a new translation, but am happy to hear that there is via this review, and now I'm looking forward to it even more. Maison Ikkoku was a series my husband and I bonded over back when we were dating (I introduced the first volume or so to him, and we eventually got the whole set), so it's very special to us, in addition to being one of the all-time great rom-com manga.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Will this be available digitally as well? Not really in a place to store physical books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2