• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Discontinues DVD on Demand System Starting in 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I avoid DVD-Rs and BD-Rs anyway. They don't seem as reliable, and I'd only consider getting stuff on them at a bargain price, ironic considering they often cost a lot more than pressed discs.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I may need to get me a Blu-Ray player soon (never had one).
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I'll take a guess and say that it's because their shitty burned dvds were problematic and they had numerous complaints about them. From my experience from a burned dvd set-the discs refused to play on any of my 3 dvd players and would only play on my Panasonic bluray player-not on my Sony or Samshit bluray players.

I had my own problems with these discs back when I was collecting indy wrestling stuff over 10 years ago where all of them were crap quality and in most cases, would not play properly at points no matter which DVD player I used, same goes for some of the replacement copies I ended up getting. One company had to discontinue the DVD-R plan entirely and re-release the one backlog show they put out on the format but on a pressed DVD (like their current shows at the time) with another backlog show as a 1-disc double-feature so I imagine it wasn't just me who complained in that case.

As for MB, when they revealed this plan 5 years ago I stopped buying their stuff on DVD because of my experiences with those discs, it even killed my interest in their rescue release of Super Robot Wars because they started using them as replacements for the botched final Divine Wars disc and then with later pressings & re-releases using DVD-Rs, I was done. Their Blu-ray releases since the move weren't affected but the fact that people to this day think they use BD-Rs (they don't) shows how much damage the move to using DVD-Rs did.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
ooof. isn't physical media on demand a super expensive way of going about it, anyway? i'm surprised mb's model lasted so long...
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Their Blu-ray releases since the move weren't affected but the fact that people to this day think they use BD-Rs (they don't) shows how much damage the move to using DVD-Rs did.

There's still a ton of confusion about that; I just dealt with it personally. Amazon lists many of MB's titles but they do not separate reviews for the DVD from reviews for the BD--both reviews are grouped together in the same listing. I was just looking at the Yamibo BD there and in the review section there are multiple people complaining that they received DVD-Rs. If you switch between the DVD and the BD option the reviews stay the same. No doubt that, and other sites doing the same, add to the misunderstandings.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I’m still waiting for Fushigi Yugi to be on Blu Ray. Does Media Blasters still have that?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I’m still waiting for Fushigi Yugi to be on Blu Ray. Does Media Blasters still have that?
Not sure if they still have the physical rights for Fushigi Yugi, but they still sell their old dvd's on their Ebay store. So I assume they might, unless otherwise noted. However, the digital/streaming rights are with Discotek Media and is still on Crunchyroll.

I mean, it woudn't hurt to ask Media Blasters on social if they still have the disc rights for it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The subtitle track on my copy of the Media Blasters Strawberry Panic Bluray lags by about a half second behind the spoken dialogue, and it replaced every instance of "é" with "e□" (and people say "étoile" about a dozen times an episode in that show). I've never had that sort of problem with a Bluray from any other company.

Never saw Strawberry Panic on blu-ray (still have the old single DVD's), although I wonder if it has anything to do with it being more technically SD-format rather than a genuine transfer.

Judging by the RightStufAnime reviews, It apparently is an SD Blu-Ray, but the video resolution shouldn't have any bearing on the subtitles. It seems like something went wrong when they took the subtitle scripts from the DVDs and converted then for the BD release. And they didn't even convert them to BD .pgs imagesubs; they inexplicably burned the subs into the video as hardsubs. That could be for anti-reverse-importation demands from the Japanese side -- Strawberry Panic never had a BD release in Japan -- although they could've just locked the subs instead, as other companies have done.

So it looks like whatever font they used to render the hardsubs didn't properly support the É or é characters, so they showed up bugged in the final product. And either they didn't bother QCing the discs, or they saw the problem but couldn't spare the time/effort to do a whole new encode (again, since the subs were hardcoded for no apparent reason, they couldn't simply create new subtitles and pair them with the video files), or worse, they saw it, but just didn't care. Any of those three possibilities is quite concerning, imo.

And in my experience, Media-Blasters BDs are a literal coin-flip. I bought four titles from them earlier this year, and two of them just completely Did Not Work. At All. Completely froze up and crashed my BD player. Granted, I haven't checked 100% of the BDs I've bought from other companies, but I've never had those kinds of issues with Funimation, Sentai, Discotek, or Nozomi Blu-Rays. M-B's older pressed DVDs were generally serviceable, if not spectacular (though I did buy a new/sealed Grenadier collection where Vol. 3 was an empty box with no disc), and the few DVD-Rs I've come across have been passable. However, I'm not going to stop seeing their releases going forward as "questionable by default" just because they're moving away from DVD-R.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:48 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

M-B's older pressed DVDs were generally serviceable, if not spectacular (though I did buy a new/sealed Grenadier collection where Vol. 3 was an empty box with no disc), and the few DVD-Rs I've come across have been passable. However, I'm not going to stop seeing their releases going forward as "questionable by default" just because they're moving away from DVD-R.
I still have the ye olde economy DVD boxsets of Magic Knight Rayearth Media Blasters put out ages ago and my copy of those sets still works perfectly fine and I don't have any issues with it and I was impressed with the amount of extras they had on those old sets so it's sad to hear the quality of their recent sets hasn't been that great.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:34 am Reply with quote
Glad to see them move back to pressed discs. I lost interest in buying in-print Media Blasters DVDs when this was announced a long time ago. I'll be looking forward to getting a few reprints that are on pressed discs.
penguintruth wrote:
Who even knew Media Blasters was still around?
They're currently making a "comeback". Stuff is coming out regularly and without delays, it's a pleasant change for them.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/772000-what-titles-would-you-like-media-blasters-license-license-rescue-re-release
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Discotek has streaming rights, but Media Blasters still has home video and it's finally now on pressed discs.
Sagadego171 wrote:
@mediablasters1 will Fushi yugi be on a pressed dvd later?
https://twitter.com/Sagadego171/status/1326266640913342465
Media Blasters wrote:
It is already.
https://twitter.com/mediablasters1/status/1326267778391822341
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blaster
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Y'know, when we're all complaining about Crunchyroll getting sold to Sony, which already owns Funimation and Aniplex USA, maybe a tiny company trying to tough it out like Media Blasters is something we should support. If that makes them the less cool / more horny version of Discotek (but with one third the release slate)… well, there are worse things to be.

Thank you!
blaster
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:20 am Reply with quote
[quote="BodaciousSpacePirate"]
pachy_boy wrote:

The subtitle track on my copy of the Media Blasters Strawberry Panic Bluray lags by about a half second behind the spoken dialogue, and it replaced every instance of "é" with "e□" (and people say "étoile" about a dozen times an episode in that show). I've never had that sort of problem with a Bluray from any other company.

Ok I will look into it and let you know the findings. That is not good.
blaster
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:23 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Never saw Strawberry Panic on blu-ray (still have the old single DVD's), although I wonder if it has anything to do with it being more technically SD-format rather than a genuine transfer. With Zeiram 2 I believe they used the Japanese master, which is why everything looks so good on that.

Yeah but that has no change in subs or timing.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
I can comment on MB's bluray releases-I've never had a single problem with any of them (I have all their anime bluray releases but Strawberry Panic). The one burned dvd set I got was Yamibo.
cheapassgamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:35 am Reply with quote
People still buy dvds? Lol

Aresef wrote:
I didn't know DVD-on-demand was a thing they were doing.

We're in a time of flux as more stuff comes to VOD (and as we own less and less). We're also entering a recession. A decade ago, before and during the last recession, we lost Bandai, ADV (kinda), Geneon USA and CPM. If you asked me to name possible casualties this time around, Media Blasters would be at the top of the list. Discotek, AnimEigo, Nozomi, they're really prudent boutique distributors, they're going to be fine.

What recession? Stock market is at an all time high.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3