• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Release of Mr. Osomatsu Anime's 1st Season Will Not Include Episode 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but are they including the replacement episode 1 in the release like the Japanese before it?
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This is to stop reverse importation, as there is no way legal reason why it wouldn't be allowed to release state side, as parody is perfectly legal..

That is precisely what I am wondering about too. Given a company complained, I highly doubt that the complain applies outside of Japan. Not to mention, Viz may be in a position to negotiate for a different kind of legal availability (not necessarily in disc form) for Ep.1 in addition to the rest of the series to be available legally.

Since it is primarily an episodic comedy, the Japanese companies probably thought they can get away with reduced release anyway. It appears to be the Japanese company didn't even consider that the takedown is Japan only and Viz didn't consider there may be an audience for Ep.1.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
This is why the concept of fair use as it applies to parody is so important. Because when you don't have it, you get bullshit like this, where a company who doesn't like getting made fun of can all but erase a work from existence.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
It appears to be the Japanese company didn't even consider that the takedown is Japan only

It literally states in the article that Crunchyroll also removed Episode 1 from streaming shortly after it got taken down in Japan, so the takedown is literally worldwide. Look, I agree that it's a shame that the episode isn't in Viz's boxset, and will likely remain something that one will have to download online "unofficially" in order to watch, but let's not act like the original Japanese licensor doesn't have the right to determine what can & cannot be included in a release for another country.

I mean, Yoshiyuki Tomino still has not allowed Episode 15 of Mobile Suit Gundam to see release anywhere outside of Japan, even as video games have since included Cucuruz Doan himself in them worldwide. Same with Kentaro Miura prohibiting Chapter 83 of Berserk from ever being republished ever again, including in Japan. The original Japanese licensor/creator/etc. have all the right to do so, regardless of whether we like it or not.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
It literally states in the article that Crunchyroll also removed Episode 1 from streaming shortly after it got taken down in Japan, so the takedown is literally worldwide.

There are few folds to this. The complain could have asked to take down generally without specifying if it is just Japan or not. But the licensor could decide that "generally" is worldwide and all of the overseas distributors they negotiated with must also comply.

Based on the article, there was a public apology made. We are not in a position to tell the exact details of the complain. Or if there was a complain to begin with. Was the takedown done preemptively to prevent potential legal actions? Or based on the threat of legal actions? Or just "we don't like this, we own this, take your thing down" without specific reference to legal action?

I know that, logically, Crunchyroll took down the streaming video at the request of their Japanese distributor. So it would be a request from the Japanese licensor. And logically, the Japanese side took down the video after the complain. So yes, we can assume the complain covers as extensively as possible. But that is it, a good logical assumption.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Well that's moronic won't be buying the season set moving on.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
It literally states in the article that Crunchyroll also removed Episode 1 from streaming shortly after it got taken down in Japan, so the takedown is literally worldwide.

There are few folds to this. The complain could have asked to take down generally without specifying if it is just Japan or not. But the licensor could decide that "generally" is worldwide and all of the overseas distributors they negotiated with must also comply.

Based on the article, there was a public apology made. We are not in a position to tell the exact details of the complain. Or if there was a complain to begin with. Was the takedown done preemptively to prevent potential legal actions? Or based on the threat of legal actions? Or just "we don't like this, we own this, take your thing down" without specific reference to legal action?

Okay, so it sounds like you just read the main article but not the source it provided when this happened in 2015.

It has been sent to the vault--no official release will ever be provided unless they change their mind when releasing future sets. It's not included in the Japanese home video, and certainly won't be for the rest of the world.
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I mean, Yoshiyuki Tomino still has not allowed Episode 15 of Mobile Suit Gundam to see release anywhere outside of Japan, even as video games have since included Cucuruz Doan himself in them worldwide. Same with Kentaro Miura prohibiting Chapter 83 of Berserk from ever being republished ever again, including in Japan. The original Japanese licensor/creator/etc. have all the right to do so, regardless of whether we like it or not.

Really? Do you happen to know why?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

For Gundam Ep 15, the most Tomino has ever said essentially equates to "The responsible party knows what they did," and we'll likely never know the real answer for its international ban. As for Berserk Chapter 83, Miura instantly regretted making it after it got serialized, as he felt that he revealed too much about the world of Berserk itself in it, so he requested that it never get reprinted.

Neither is exactly impossible to get a hold of if you're really curious, but those are the reasons for their respective bans.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
Gotcha. I haven't heard of either before, so I was curious. Thank you letting me know!
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:26 am Reply with quote
Also I feel like this gets overlooked by everyone outside of Japan, but episode one is practically identical to Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 1000%'s first episode. Which I doubt copying elements from some other company's anime series episode falls under the parody umbrella. There's also a pixiv tag called Matsu*Rish which mashes together the terms Osomatsu-san and Starish (UtaPri's main boyband). And Broccoli who owns UtaPri, is very strict when it comes to copyright. They took down someone's online store that sold handmade plushes of the characters. They also highly discourage making doujin.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
So was that one VA replaced? I know one of them go tin trouble over something and apparently that is why it has taken so long to get released.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Lenks wrote:

For Gundam Ep 15, the most Tomino has ever said essentially equates to "The responsible party knows what they did," and we'll likely never know the real answer for its international ban.

Although it's possible there could be other reasons, it's widely believed to be because the episode frequently has embarrassingly poor animation.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So was that one VA replaced? I know one of them go tin trouble over something and apparently that is why it has taken so long to get released.

Nobody's sure if Chris Niosi got replaced or not, the only thing that's public was that they had to dub the show a second time for the exact same reason that FUNi redubbed Evangelion 3.33 after it's screenings (and took years to release that film on video).

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/674875-viz-media-licenses-mr-osomatsu-seasons-1-2?p=762586#post762586

GingaDaiuchuu wrote:
The only thing I've heard about it since their last update was at Kyle McCarley's panel at Otakuthon in late summer of last year, in which he mentioned that they basically started the dub over from scratch (but with the same cast) about a year after originally recording it, because for some reason it was decided that they'd go in a different direction in several ways.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Kinda reminds me what happened to the old 80s show Muppet Babies and why no one has put it fully on DVD. Too many references and such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3