• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Idoly Pride (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12 (finale)

I wish that I liked this show more than I do, I just kind of became lost from its large cast of characters that did not stick out enough, where by the time they split into two groups, I really could not care too much about a particular character. ... There is like 10 of them.

Was that all? It felt like 20...and the only one I can remember the name now is Mana...
Maybe there was a Sakura? You're correct, there were too many for me to care about and they were female idols which is one of my least favorite genres, (male idol shows aren't my favorite either.) I didn't go in expecting to love this, and at least it had a few elements that were memorable, the ghost and the heart transplant. Probably get a rating of weak from me.
The fact that they made the end so "happy" spoiler[(a lame tie)] was too predictable as well.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 The Story the Begins With Goodbye.

It worked on me, I loved it. I've seen enough anime that I can think "This reminds me of Show D with variant 5" and then just put that thought in the back of my mind... unless the show won't let me, not naming any GOU names here.

As I've said previously, what separates Idoly Pride from typical idol fare is the fact that it is a romance as its heart... and I'm now required to add a "literally" there. Yet my favorite moment of the whole series was that one troll moment when Mana told Kohei that her true final wish was that he would be the manager of the number idol and his face was more "just go back to die already" than anything. She then clarified and all was forgiven but he did give her a look of "If you weren't dead already, I swear I'd do the job myself."

And there's Kotono belting Mana's song which she wrote for Kohei, the words she couldn't say because he was her manager. A song previously sung by Sakura's group in a solo style in Mana's voice. Kotono took Mana's own words and hurled them back at her with all the force she could, tears flowing down her face.

So Sakura had the heart, Kotono held her thoughts with the diary and Kohei had Mana's courage, according to Mana's own song so...
I've heard before that everything is a Wizard of Oz reference and Idoly Pride is no exception.
For a show designed to sell ten plus voices/images, there was a lot to chew on here. And I still have question about Haruko.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The show's central characters are Kotono, Sakura, and Mana and Makino. While the other girls of Hoshimo Pro get some characterization, the show is never really about them - at its core its about how the death of Mana Nagase impacts the people most directly connected to her, and how they grow. So it's not like other idol shows with a "girl of the week" format in which all parts of the cast get equal focus.

While I was initially disappointed with the tie result at the end, I've read some other interpretations of it which I think give it a much more satisfying feel. If you look at one analysis at https://dwa.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/03/30/004259 from a Japanese viewer, he brings together a bunch of the show's themes and explains their significance to each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2