• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Manga Gets New TV Anime This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
I just hope the movie will be widely available. I hope Aniplex doesn’t pull another “theater and expensive bluray is the only way to legally watch this movie” routine like they do with all their other movies. Even if Funimation streams it for a single weekend it wouldn’t be enough. This really needs a permanent streaming home. Also it would be a shame for Toonami to not get the movie and go straight to season 2, but that seems all-too likely.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Is everyone notice there's a trend of animes who used to have season one (or two for some) with two cours ended up have season two (or more) with one cour due to one arc (like "anime X X arc"). For example: Blue Exorcist, The Irregular at Magic High School, Dr Stone and Log Horizon.

On the other hand, My Hero Academia went from 12 episodes in season 1 to 24 episodes in every season after. And Fire Force has done two cours for both its seasons so far. I think it just depends on the needs of each particular production.

In Demon Slayer's case, the show was known for having exceptionally good animation for a TV show, and with the studio likely working on both the movie and 2nd season at once, it's possible they decided to keep the 2nd season short so as not to sacrifice animation quality. Demon Slayer is also a relatively short series by Jump standards, so they might not be eager to burn through the whole thing very quickly.

Anyway, I'm glad we're getting more seasons instead of a series of films, since movies tend to take much longer to come out for streaming in the West.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time considering how popular the series is, though I'm glad it's another TV series instead of a movie.

Although I have to wonder how many Japanese kids will still be watching it after it airs, considering how the next arc centers on infiltrating a red light district...
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
We live in a rather interesting time, when over-the-top hyped shonens live less than their anime adaptations, because at some point they are all sharply axed, even being extremely popular. I’m already starting to forget about the times when people said "go and read the manga if you want to know what happened next."
Fakerman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Should I watch Mugen Train first?
Takagami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Fakerman wrote:

If you didn't read the manga, the answer is yes. This new TV series is a direct sequel of the movie, Yūkaku-hen being the arc right after Mugen Ressha-hen.
Fakerman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Takagami wrote:
Fakerman wrote:

If you didn't read the manga, the answer is yes. This new TV series is a direct sequel of the movie, Yūkaku-hen being the arc right after Mugen Ressha-hen.

Thank you!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The only thing surprising about this is that it's coming out this year (presumably in the last season of the year). If it is only 12 eps I'm sure that we'll be getting another 12 (or 24) season sooner rather than later.

Hopefully the movie gets a home release before the season starts.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why people are mentioning a 12 episode season as a negative.

I want quality content that is well directed and concise. Stretching 12 episodes worth of material into a 24 episode season is not appealing to me.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
And then after this finishes airing, it will get a sequel movie covering the next arc and then that movie will be the best selling movie of all time in Japan. Right?
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I just hope the movie will be widely available. I hope Aniplex doesn’t pull another “theater and expensive bluray is the only way to legally watch this movie” routine like they do with all their other movies. Even if Funimation streams it for a single weekend it wouldn’t be enough. This really needs a permanent streaming home. Also it would be a shame for Toonami to not get the movie and go straight to season 2, but that seems all-too likely.

Nah, it's Aniplex. I don't want to get hopes up. It would be a nice surprise but I think permanent streaming tend to reserved for mid-size audience titles. Major titles like this, the movie theatres will want a slice of the pie, so it will be shown in theatres first and probably go on to have discs. Streaming would likely to be an afterthought at best.

Still, great news for the new TV series. Like others, I was concerned that it was going to all films after this, which usually would be a delayed access for non-Japanese audiences.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

I want quality content that is well directed and concise. Stretching 12 episodes worth of material into a 24 episode season is not appealing to me.

I don't think they want the material to be stretched into 24 episodes, but rather they want the anime to cover a larger part of the manga, large enough to make 24 episodes.
KanpaiGuren

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Gasero wrote:

I don't think they want the material to be stretched into 24 episodes, but rather they want the anime to cover a larger part of the manga, large enough to make 24 episodes.

Agreed. This Red Light District arc with Uzui plus the next arc (58 chps total) would make for a good 26 ep 2nd season with pacing on par with Season 1 (52 chps). But a 13 ep 2nd season only adapting the Red Light District arc would be fine as well where a 3rd season is announced at the end of 2nd season.

The manga is shorter than many long-running shounen series so I can see why they might not want to adapt the entire manga too quickly to maintain the hype and success of Demon Slayer with the anime for many years to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2