• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Switching Positions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
- New Switch: I still have my doubts about a Switch revision, but perhaps Nintendo is listening to developers who want to port or develop games that need more processing power, but that could interfere with the normal Switch audience.
- Juro Watari: can't believe how many IP's SEGA is ignoring and how their creators are leaving. I just hope Virtua Fighter's recent announcement is for a new installment, but other SEGA games I'd like to see coming back are Comix Zone, Ristar and Golden Axe.
- SE remakes: as other said, most people only mention Squaresoft games but I'd love to see some Enix games remastered like ActRaiser, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, E.V.O, among others.
- GG delay: I think this delay was to be expected, developers still have to deal with the pandemic and stuff, but at least they have more time to improve things.
- Andy: surprised to see Andy and Joe being revealed before Terry, I just hope that when Terry gets revealed he'll have his classic outfit back (something like his Smash Bros. look) or his MOW look, I didn't like his XIV outfit. Also, Andy looks much better than he did in XIV.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
What ever new console comes out next from Nintendo, whether it's a Pro or a 2, I hope there's a home only version. I'm almost exclusively playing docked, so if I can save on it by leaving out a screen and a battery, I'm all for it.

I'm usually not one to harp on graphics, but that Neptunia re-make looks more like it's a port of the vita game rather than something that's been remade. Oof Anime hyper

Quote:
Seriously, Soul Nomad gets extremely. You've been warned.

Extremely what?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
- New Switch: I still have my doubts about a Switch revision, but perhaps Nintendo is listening to developers who want to port or develop games that need more processing power, but that could interfere with the normal Switch audience.

According to the report, that's not what's going on. It's a bigger screen and 4K compatibility. That's it, that's all it is. It's not going to boost frame rates, it's not going to change gameplay, it's just a resolution boost. There's really no point to doing a more powerful version right now; the PS5 and Series X are going to take at least two years to get a decent install base and proper system-selling titles so Nintendo is in no danger of going against them. Furthermore, there's also a chip shortage going on which is the main reason the PS5 and Series X are so difficult to get hold of right now. So with components being a mess right now, better to just wait it out
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, Soul Nomad gets extremely You've been warned.)

Extremely what............. I don't know whether to be intrigued or turned off. This is certainly one way to make me consider playing the game.

Happy to see more games getting ported to switch. I'm not very good at playing games on PC (it's just not comfortable and easy to get distracted) so stuff going on switch makes me happy to have a chance at playing it.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nintendo is also mulling the idea of adding some extra oomph to the Switch's computing power to give it the strength to display in 4K

This is the part that makes this rumor completely implausible, by the way. Rendering in 4K requires a huge increase in CPU power, GPU power, and memory bandwidth from 1080p. The Switch already struggles with 1080p; there's simply no way you can fit the hardware necessary to run current-gen Switch games at 4K in the same form factor.

They could conceivably render at 1080p and pass it through an upscaling filter, but I don't think anybody would really be satisfied by that.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
True 4k requires a massive increase in CPU/GPU power, but upscaling does not. The common thought is that they would use nVidia's DLSS to achieve the desired result.

If true you'd expect there to be an increase in cpu/gpu power, but nothing that would be in line of a new console. More like the new 3ds vs original 3ds or ps4 pro vs ps4 etc.

Another thought going around is that there would be an increase in system memory (ram) as that is where devs are most in need of an upgrade. Even if you overclock the switch, a lack of system memory holds it back. Going from 4GB to 6 or 8 would probably help without significantly affecting battery life, cost etc.

Of course "output in 4k" could end up just being for video, just like how the ps5 can do 8k (or will, not sure if that's supported yet), but no one expects it to be (practically) anything outside of streaming.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:16 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Of course "output in 4k" could end up just being for video, just like how the ps5 can do 8k (or will, not sure if that's supported yet), but no one expects it to be (practically) anything outside of streaming.

Digital Foundry says the PS5 is capped at 4k for games
(while Series X shown able to render at 6k60 then supersampled down to 4k TVs)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
True 4k requires a massive increase in CPU/GPU power, but upscaling does not. The common thought is that they would use nVidia's DLSS to achieve the desired result.

If true you'd expect there to be an increase in cpu/gpu power, but nothing that would be in line of a new console. More like the new 3ds vs original 3ds or ps4 pro vs ps4 etc.

Another thought going around is that there would be an increase in system memory (ram) as that is where devs are most in need of an upgrade. Even if you overclock the switch, a lack of system memory holds it back. Going from 4GB to 6 or 8 would probably help without significantly affecting battery life, cost etc.

From what I've read, it's not even that. There's no sign of this somehow having a boost in processing power. This isn't like the PS4 Pro, it's more like what the 3DSXL was to the 3DS
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Digital Foundry says the PS5 is capped at 4k for games
(while Series X shown able to render at 6k60 then supersampled down to 4k TVs)

Oh? I thought I remember reading that it was technically true for games too, but in reality it'd have to be something so basic that it would be more of a demonstrative feat than anything else, but I guess that must have changed. Not surprising at all though.

AiddonValentine wrote:

From what I've read, it's not even that. There's no sign of this somehow having a boost in processing power. This isn't like the PS4 Pro, it's more like what the 3DSXL was to the 3DS

Time wise (compared to their previous iterations) it would be more likely to be more than just a screen size increase (or similar small revision, like the previous battery life increase), but who can say, it's all rumors now anyway Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2