• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Contracts Toho Studio Facilities in Tokyo for Live-Action Yu Yu Hakusho Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
At least this means it probably won't be an American adaptation.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Considering some of the live action adaptations japan has put out the last few years (which you’ve alluded to) not really.

Rurouni Kenshin is the best adaptation Japan has ever produced of any manga so far. It helps that Japanese cinema is pretty good adapting jidaigeki material anyway, so that trilogy (and hopefully the next two movies) being as great as it was was a given.

Gintama is pretty good if you take into account the tongue-in-cheek tone the original manga has and how that was translated to live-action.

Netflix being behind this, on the other hand, doesn't give me any hope that this will be any good. At all.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Considering some of the live action adaptations japan has put out the last few years (which you’ve alluded to) not really.

Rurouni Kenshin is the best adaptation Japan has ever produced of any manga so far. It helps that Japanese cinema is pretty good adapting jidaigeki material anyway, so that trilogy (and hopefully the next two movies) being as great as it was was a given.

Gintama is pretty good if you take into account the tongue-in-cheek tone the original manga has and how that was translated to live-action.

Netflix being behind this, on the other hand, doesn't give me any hope that this will be any good. At all.

Ahem, Alice in Borderland.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I think people are still thinking this is going to be like the American Death Note movie when this is clearly going to be a Japanese production that Netflix is just putting up the funding for it.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think people are still thinking this is going to be like the American Death Note movie when this is clearly going to be a Japanese production that Netflix is just putting up the funding for it.

Don’t know if it’s because it’s a knee jerk reaction to it or do t bother to read.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Don’t know if it’s because it’s a knee jerk reaction to it or do t bother to read.

Neither. Netflix's average with live action adaptations even those they're really only distrubtors on isn't great.

Everyone right now likes to raise Alice in Borderland up but for just look at what they've done outside of that and you can reasonably be hesitant toward any future projects.

The FMA(Distributor, i know it was Warner Japan Produced), Death Note, Jin Roh (or Illang as they called it since it was made in Korea and only distrubuted by Netflix) are all recent examples of failure. Most people have no doubt that the Cowboy Bebop live action will also end up in this bucket.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:
Netflix please stop...

Nope, Netflix keep going!

Sure, make another live-action like Death Note! Very Happy

That's right! Because without garbage we have nothing to make fun of.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:

Changeman wrote:

Didn't you like the adaptations of Kingdom, Inuyashiki, Rurouni Kenshin, I am Hero or The Fable (my favorite)?

I've never seen them though if I chose to the only one I'd probably watch is the Kenshin films as it's the only one out of all those series that I've read the source material of and also haven't heard any negative rumblings about it......aside from the whole "How is Watsuki making money after he did you know what".
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Neither. Netflix's average with live action adaptations even those they're really only distrubtors on isn't great.

Everyone right now likes to raise Alice in Borderland up but for just look at what they've done outside of that and you can reasonably be hesitant toward any future projects.

The FMA(Distributor, i know it was Warner Japan Produced), Death Note, Jin Roh (or Illang as they called it since it was made in Korea and only distrubuted by Netflix) are all recent examples of failure. Most people have no doubt that the Cowboy Bebop live action will also end up in this bucket.

Netflix distributes pretty much everything they show. They don't actually make them. That's production company's jobs. So I'd be wary of stuff produced by the Death Note live action series team, but the reason people are bringing up Alice in Borderland here, is because Yu Yu Hakusho is being produced by the same team.

Netflix doesn't make stuff (Outside of Netflix Studios shows like The Ranch), they pay for stuff.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
WHAT HAVE YOU FOOLS DONE!? WHO MADE A WISH ON A MONKEY'S PAW FOR MORE YU YU HAKUSHO!? The only thing we MIGHT need is a dub on the 2018 OVA.

But seriously. We all know how it'll go. Netflix will try to appeal to people outside of the demographic of YYH fans (people who like anime) by making everything weirdly Americanized and modern. Of course, people who don't watch anime or find anime to be too niche for their liking won't watch a live-action adaptation of some weird Japanese thing they've never heard of.

To reiterate, Netflix will try to appeal to people who almost certainly won't watch this adaptation and alienate people who love Yu Yu Hakusho. A real pity. If it's good, I'll be legitimately happy, but it won't be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2