• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Faraway Paladin Light Novels Get TV Anime in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
This is actual fantasy, right? Not isekai/game-referencing stuff, right?

It’s a bit like someone wrote a fantasy novel and then tacked on a few lines to allow it to be marketed as isekai.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

I only hope that the popularity of the anime convinces or motivates the author to write more as I haven't seen any more chapters released in quite a while on J-Novel club.

Paladin's author replied via tweet (Oct 2020) that they are writing out Vol 5. Their long absence from social media and writing was due to physical/mental issues. https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/j82t7h/news_faraway_paladin_5_being_written/
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
SHD wrote:

It’s a bit like someone wrote a fantasy novel and then tacked on a few lines to allow it to be marketed as isekai.

I wouldn't say this is entirely accurate; the isekai element is important, as Will's driving motivation is regret from how his previous life went. However, it very much doesn't feel like a modern narou "isekai," in that it doesn't have any LitRPG elements (no levels, jobs, etc.). It actually feels a lot more like a classic fantasy novel - my mind immediately thought of Gene Wolf's "The Wizard Knight" series. In fact, I'd say it avoids almost every trope that seems to annoy people about modern isekai stories.

I am very excited for this anime, I hope it turns out well. The novels really are that special.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
SHD wrote:

I wouldn't say this is entirely accurate

That’s why it’s only a bit like it Smile. Apart from the original motivation it’s pretty near forgotten, though, and a different cause for that motivation could easily have been substituted in a non-isekai fantasy novel. The reason behind his motivation has largely been replaced by something else by the end of the first arc in any case.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The manga adaptation is alright and this is neither a (J-)RPG wannabe nor a real Issekai. An actual fantasy anime here at last. There is technically a rebirth element but only kinda. This is a slowly-paced story btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Basically this sounds like Re:Zero or Torture Princess. An isekai in a traditional fantasy setting.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
That except isekai elements like comparing everything to the real world or real-world fiction, using knowledge from the real world to affect the plot, referring back to events from a past life, having modern real-world attitudes/sensibilities/manners of speech or behaviour that clash with the local culture, or referring to genre knowledge from fiction or games, are largely absent. It’s pretty possible to forget it’s reincarnation isekai after a while.

Many common isekai tropes like gaining a harem of underage slave girls or whatever are also absent (and not in a deconstruction-style “look at the way we just subverted a genre convention” way). There’s not even a love interest so far. Becoming overpowered is there to an extent but handled fairly differently from average isekai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2