• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Gunbuster, Girly Air Force, Tomorrow's Joe 2: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster OVA sounds good ...

I'd really like it if they finally licensed the Library War (Wings of Freedom) movie so I can own the whole series.
And if they're gonna do more Cutie Honey then CH Flash would be great to see.

And finally, Sensual Phrase English release please!!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Finally a dub for Gunbuster? I might have to double-dip for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Never seen Robot Carnival but an anime in 4K sounds tempting... even though I don't have a setup to support 4K, but hey, perhaps in the near future!

Even if you never get that 4k setup, do try to set aside a bit of time for Robot Carnival at some point. It really is a delight (and remember to stay for the after credit stinger).

I'm quite excited for Gunbuster, since it's one of those classic series that I just never managed to see before. Super excited for that release to come out. Although I keep hoping that both Ashita no Joe TV series will get put out by Discotek, I will happily give them my money for just the 2nd movie. The first movie must have sold well enough, so I'm a bit more hopeful for a TV release at this point. And I'm excited to see more of Machine Robo beyond those 3 old DVDs put out forever ago. Honestly, I'm pretty excited about just about all of these announcements.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The English credits for the LupinxConan movie leaked back in March, so I'm glad it's finally getting released (as a side-note, I think they're like 90% done with getting every major Conan character an official new English VA by this movie).
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool that there's gonna be an English dub of Gunbuster and Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie.

Also, I wonder how Discotek has been able to use the "Detective Conan" title specifically for the aforementioned crossover with Lupin III. Supposedly, the name Conan has been trademarked in the US by Conan Properties.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
The English credits for the LupinxConan movie leaked back in March, so I'm glad it's finally getting released (as a side-note, I think they're like 90% done with getting every major Conan character an official new English VA by this movie).

I think that only leaves Masumi Sera off the top of my head. Yet I believe that the most recent movie has her in it and is English dubbed, but not out in the US yet.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm having mixed feelings about Gunbuster having an English dub.
Sound Cadence Studios is based in Texas. We're going to hear some interesting accents in Gunbuster. Noriko yelling "BUSTER BEAM" in a thick Texan accent.
I'm still buying this blu-ray.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Discotek knew what they were doing when they saved the Gunbuster announcement for last. The room went nuts after that announcement, even for a Discotek panel (which always has crazy amounts of energy).
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Seriously never thought Gunbuster would ever get a dub. And I'm glad I was wrong. Hopefully they also do Gunbuster 2.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I've got DVDs of Diebuster but never got around to watching them since I haven't seen Gunbuster. Looks like I'll finally have my excuse.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Amazing to see the Gunbuster OVA getting a BD release. I think I was looking online for what was available just a week or two ago too and disappointed with the results.
I'll definitely be picking this up and hopefully the sequel will follow on BD soon after Smile
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
I don't believe it! "Gunbuster's" finally getting an English dub?! That's great!! It's long overdue and I wish it happened sooner. It deserves it and I'd love to hear more about this. Thank goodness it finally happened!!!!!
Nilrem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm slightly in shock about the Gunbuster news, every time I've seen a dub for it brought up the answer was always something along the lines of "there is now music an effects track".

So getting it on blu-ray, and getting a dub is amazing news:)

Hopefully the discs will either be US/EU coded, or someone in the EU will release it as well (I suspect AlltheAnime would probably be most likely to give it the love in the UK if anyone here was to do it).

If not, the urge to buy a multi-region player is increasing Smile
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
Was hoping on symphogear gx
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
In another piece of news from Discotek, the Sgt Frog sets will have the Funimation dub! Well at least the first two sets. Maybe they can get the movies too and get some of the dub cast back for those.

Now we just need those last 2 minutes for the Ninja Robots dub...

All around Discotek is killing it! Picking up Gunbuster, Tomorrow's Joe 2 and Lupin III vs. Conan for these new pickups.

2021 has been a godlike send for anime fans. We have the Macross Saga out of licensing hell, Project A-ko's 35 mm print was found and now Gunbuster has been licensed. What's Next!?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4