• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actor Sonny Chiba Passes Away Due to Pneumonia Caused by COVID-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The fact that he was 82, it's now August, and he still wasn't vaccinated is just deplorable though.

Japan has been very slow on the rollout of the vaccine. I believe were at still less than 10% fully vaxxed currently. I would also imagine the Olympics caused massive issues to the area as well.

Edit: I wanted to reply so much I forgot to say RIP. Loved to dude. I randomly watched the street fighter movies in Highschool and he really got me into kung fu style movies. I think I'll finally get around to watching my copy of the Golgo movie with him.
benzappa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I am so sad.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, this is so sad to hear. I mean I liked him in several films, and this is just sad to hear. RIP Sonny Chiba and give my condolences to his family. He shall be remembered. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
He was like an original Kamen Rider and Power Ranger before those things ever became a thing.

lol I remember his role in Invasion of the Neptune Men quite well.

Also, I won't ever forget, while I was growing up on Guam going to the movie theater to watch Kill Bill, and for some reason, there were a lot of Japanese tourists in the theater, more so than on any other hollywood movie. I was wondering what they were so eager to see, and low and behold Sonny Chiba shows up, and the tourist crowd was ecstatic. Audience members were laughing with the movie during the sushi bar scene. That's the kind of draw Sonny Chiba had, when Quentin Tarrantino made a movie with Sonny Chiba, you had people from Japan willing to go out of there way to see the movie before it was imported to Japan.

Last edited by ranran-001 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
The fact that he was 82, it's now August, and he still wasn't vaccinated is just deplorable though.

Japan has been very slow on the rollout of the vaccine. I believe were at still less than 10% fully vaxxed currently. I would also imagine the Olympics caused massive issues to the area as well.

39.3% of Japan's population have received two COVID-19 vaccination shots as of August 19.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/special/coronavirus/vaccine/

However, 85.02% of the population 65 years old or older in Chiba prefecture have received two COVID-19 vaccination shots as of August 18.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/special/coronavirus/vaccine/inoculation_pref/
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

39.3% of Japan's population have received two COVID-19 vaccination shots as of August 19. https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/special/coronavirus/vaccine/
However, 85.02% of the population 65 years old or older in Chiba prefecture have received two COVID-19 vaccination shots as of August 18. https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/special/coronavirus/vaccine/inoculation_pref/

Sorry I guess what I pulled info from was pretty out of date. Regardless it is pretty low compared to what I'd expect. I'm just saying I don't think it's "deplorable" for him to not be vaxxed.

Last edited by chao8971 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
This recent news hit me the hardest today Crying or Very sad
He was a true legend.
Rest In Peace, Sonny
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Shit. I mentioned him in my panel at Otakon this year. This one hurts.

RIP Space Chief
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
A world wide icon may he rest among the greats in the beyond.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
I was introduced to this legend through Kill Bill. I actually used his scene when he teaches the Bride a little Japanese in some lessons I did to teach a class on Japan at a day program for mentally handicap people. It was fun. I didn't know much about him other than Kill Bill, but from what I'm reading he was quite a legend and he'll sorely be missed. May he RIP and may his legacy be passed on to other generations.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
This is sad. Sonny Chiba gone. He deserved better than this,even at the age of 82. I didn't see a whole lot of his movies but it's still sad,nonetheless. It's a shame. It's a terrible shame this happened.

RIP Sonny Chiba. You'll be missed. Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:28 am Reply with quote
RIP - we'll always remember hims as The Street Fighter - the first movie to get an X-rating exclusively because of violence

BTW did ya know an edited version of his film titled The Bodyguard in the US has one of the changes being an opening quote falsely attributed to a Bible verse — everyone knows it even if they haven’t seen it, because Quentin Tarantino reused it in Pulp Fiction as a nod to Sonny Chiba (Tarantino really loves Chiba). What's that verse? It begins: “The path of the righteous man.…” (So now ya remember it Laughing )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LYT4JC2dd4

And now ya guys know
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
Just saw this, DAMN. What a way to start the day. A legend! You'll be missed!!!
Borderite92

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I remember him playing Hans, the deposed Prince, in the movie Message From Space, a Star Wars like movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2