• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Case Study of Vanitas Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
Interesting to learn that the castle really exists. I wonder if the author knew 'Jeanne' was the name of the beast's first victim when he named the character

I like to think so. There's just so much real history in the series that I feel like Mochizuki had to have done the research. Even just in this season we have the Jeanne(s - there were two associated with the initial Beast attacks), the castle, the name of the guy Louis XV sent to hunt the Beast, and the Apchier family. And that's not even counting all of the history Easter eggs in season one!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:25 pm Reply with quote
For the anime-onlies, I would suggest they check out the manga version of this flashback, as there was a rather major scene cut that reveals some important information that may or may not be integrated at a later point, and not knowing this information could lead to potential confusion later.

This being that spoiler[Marquis Machina pays a visit to Chloe shortly after the period when Jeanne left to inform her that Ruthven's students had conspired with humans to kill him and other pacifists like him. The ones that led this betrayal, as it happens, were Jeanne's parents, who were promptly executed and Jeanne was forced to bear the title of Borreau as punishment, in a "sins of the father" sort of way. There's a bit more that's said, but this is the biggest thing.]

Fyi, in case anyone forgot, Machina was also the host of the ball that Vani, Noe, and Domi attended.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
Interesting to learn that the castle really exists. I wonder if the author knew 'Jeanne' was the name of the beast's first victim when he named the character

Considering how detailed certain elements are in this series (like background locations), I'm certain the author knew and did their research. Whether the name similarities between the Jeanne we know and the first victim is purposeful/plot-relevant or more just a neat nod to history remains to be seen, but I'm suspecting the latter.

I also definitely did not know about the castle actually existing, but considering even the exterior of the hotel Vanitas and Noe are living in is pretty much a picture perfect replica of the real-life Hotel Chopin (seeing the recently released OST cover art really solidified the similarities), I really should have expected it haha
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The reunion Vanitas had with Noe and Murr was heartwarming. Noe was punched by both his partner and pet in just like back in the first cour. I guess next episode could be the end of this arc considering the final scenes of this episode.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
My favourite moment was when Murr uppercutted Noé
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:01 pm Reply with quote
What will killing Naenia do? It'll feel really damn good. I consider myself a pacifist and I was ready to end her myself by the end of the Louis flashback. I should know better than to expect Jean-Jacques to survive the next episode, especially when there's a girl he can die protecting, but I'm going to hope anyway. Noe deserves a living male friend who isn't a complete degenerate.

But now I get to have my nerd flip-out: Chloe's "Alteration Engine" showed it's true form this week, and it's a frigging computer, presumably a Turing machine for the world formula itself. This is so unbelievably bonkers that I would never have guessed in a million years. That the name suggests a successor to Babbage's Analytical Engine is practically a neon sign in hindsight. The strings binding Naenia and comprising her solid form are also probably a nod to the Jacquard loom, the earliest implementation of punch-card programming. I am going to be flailing over how cool this is all weekend.

(Ada Lovelace, daughter of the Lord Byron, is widely regarded as the world's first computer programmer, so that Chloe is the one dong the programming is also just a really cool coincidence, if not an outright nod.)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
...But now I get to have my nerd flip-out: Chloe's "Alteration Engine" showed it's true form this week, and it's a frigging computer, presumably a Turing machine for the world formula itself. This is so unbelievably bonkers that I would never have guessed in a million years...
SAME! Great to see another OG computer nerd and thanks for the other tidbits. I was taken by the rows of Hollerith cards and the brass player piano program wheel. Bad Memories....But it sort of makes sense, if reality is a version of program (formulae) running on a matrix computer which is space-time...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote

...what is this....he looks like a cozy little animal idk Anime hyper

Also his birthday is today!

ab2143 wrote:
My favourite moment was when Murr uppercutted Noé

That was amazing. Have a gif I made. Laughing

[nsfw language]

https://imgur.com/OGu2Djs.gif

Quote:
Noe deserves a living male friend who isn't a complete degenerate.

Why? He already has the best boyfriend in world. Laughing
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Vanitas is still kinda hard to figure. While initially introduced as some trickster, he really shows a dark side whenever somebody tries to show him pity apparently because of whatever happened between "71". the other Vanitas and him. Still, it appears he might be more heroic based on today's episode.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
Noe deserves a living male friend who isn't a complete degenerate.
Why? He already has the best boyfriend in world. Laughing
Purely a statement of fact, not a values judgement. Laughing

And then there's Roland. Not sure why the subs went out of their way to obfuscate "suki" this week. That was a literal, verbatim confession in Japanese. (Vanitas' reaction was priceless, and still not a "no homo" in sight, this many episodes in.) Also, that double kabe-don. This series knows exactly what it's doing, and you know what? I will take that bait with the hook attached.

Also, we finally get to see Luca's mysterious off-screen brother? And of course, spoiler[he's just a bigger catboy].
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
My heart hurt for Jeanne this ep. Anime cry

But we still have our 'Old Married Couple' spats to lighten things up. Laughing
I loved how Vanitas hid behind Noe when Roland showed up. Anime hyper
Here is a gif of that.
Here's one of him showing his enthusiasm for Roland
And here's one of him showing his undying love for Noe

wolf10 wrote:
Purely a statement of fact, not a values judgement. Laughing

Damn straight it's a universal fact.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:06 pm Reply with quote
What do others make of that brief vision of the skull-headed being that Noe saw? I've heard theories elsewhere that perhaps death may not be end of the torments for curse-bearers and that their souls become part of the hell that is Charlatan's Parade which would also tie in with the whole Faust theme. If so, then that figure just might be spoiler[Louis' ghost.] It does sound like him.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
What do others make of that brief vision of the skull-headed being that Noe saw? I've heard theories elsewhere that perhaps death may not be end of the torments for curse-bearers and that their souls become part of the hell that is Charlatan's Parade which would also tie in with the whole Faust theme. If so, then that figure just might be spoiler[Louis' ghost.] It does sound like him.

That voice definitely belonged to Louis, same seiyuu. Although whether that was a real figure that Noe saw or just a symbolic manifestation of his past regrets and current fears is anyone's guess.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Some pretty nice VanxJeanne moments in this ep. Not a lot of comedy. But now we know why Astoflo is so filled with hate; he has Eren/Yuu-chan Monster Prejudice Syndrome lol Come on, not all vampires are bad, bruh! Because Noe will be friends with literally ANYONE....uh except maybe Naenia...Anime hyper

I think Jean-Jacques did get through to Chloe...at least I hope so. Crying or Very sad
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the first scene between Vanitas and Jeanne felt strange as they were just using each other and in the next scene Vanitas once again blushed rather than keeping his trickster persona from the first cour. The animation still felt kinda weak especially when Noe and Astolfo fought especially with the latter's facial expression.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7