• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS, Tubi Enter Content Partnership Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Tubi is a great app that has a lot of classic shows on it including some stuff you can't find elsewhere like Dr. Slump. I hope GKids keeps Ghibli on HBO Max because they're like the main reason to even watch HBO Max half the time because it's like the only movies they never rotate. But I do hope we'll get to see more of Gkids' library including their non-anime films streaming as they have a lot of solid indie and foreign animation.

I expect GKIDS to continue licensing both the Ghibli films and its higher profile non Ghibli films to HBO Max and Netflix (the latter getting more titles for specifically Canada, as HBO Max doesn't exist in Canada). HBO Max currently has Weathering With You, Ride Your Name,,Promare, and The Night is Short, Walk on Girl (with the latter's English dub exclusively on HBO Max and digital buy/rent till GKIDS and Shout Factory re-releases the film on Blu-ray). Netflix US also has many other GKIDS licensed films such as Mirai, Fireworks, Okko's Inn, Mary and the Witch's Flower, Children of the Sea, etc.

I won't be surprised if Belle appears on HBO Max (or Netflix) later this year rather than Tubi, as the latter may be more for GKIDS' older or lower profile titles.

Update: updated the correct title of The Night of Short, Walk On Girl. Also found that the digital buy/rent listings have been updated to include the film’s English dub.

Last edited by AZLeafCat on Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Picky33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
AZLeafCat wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Tubi is a great app that has a lot of classic shows on it including some stuff you can't find elsewhere like Dr. Slump. I hope GKids keeps Ghibli on HBO Max because they're like the main reason to even watch HBO Max half the time because it's like the only movies they never rotate. But I do hope we'll get to see more of Gkids' library including their non-anime films streaming as they have a lot of solid indie and foreign animation.

I expect GKIDS to continue licensing both the Ghibli films and its higher profile non Ghibli films to HBO Max and Netflix (the latter getting more titles for specifically Canada, as HBO Max doesn't exist in Canada). HBO Max currently has Weathering With You, Ride Your Name,,Promare, and The Night is Young, Walk on Girl (with the latter's English dub exclusively on HBO Max till GKIDS and Shout Factory re-releases the film on Blu-ray and Digital). Netflix US also has many other GKIDS licensed films such as Mirai, Fireworks, Okko's Inn, Mary and the Witch's Flower, Children of the Sea, etc.

I won't be surprised if Belle appears on HBO Max (or Netflix) later this year rather than Tubi, as the latter may be more for GKIDS' older or lower profile titles.

that tells me we can expect Tubi to have none of GKIDS Japanese title
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:

that tells me we can expect Tubi to have none of GKIDS Japanese title
Tubi already has a few GKids titles like Penguin Highway, Millennium Actress, Napping Princess, and The Wonderland. This deal will probably include other older GKids anime titles like Miss Hokusai and the rest of Satoshi Kon's titles they own.
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:36 am Reply with quote
Penguin Highway, Millennium Actress, and The Wonderland are Eleven Arts titles (distributed by Shout! Factory). GKIDS has no evolvement with these films.

Napping Princess (dub & sub) launched last year on Tubi with Genius Party, Genius Party Beyond, Summer Days with Coo, and The Case of Hana & Alice.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:08 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Penguin Highway, Millennium Actress, and The Wonderland are Eleven Arts titles (distributed by Shout! Factory). GKIDS has no evolvement with these films.

Napping Princess (dub & sub) launched last year on Tubi with Genius Party, Genius Party Beyond, Summer Days with Coo, and The Case of Hana & Alice.
I thought for sure Millennium Actress was Gkids since they also have Perfect Blue. But still Tubi has a pretty good selection of classic anime films so I doubt they'll have much trouble getting access to GKids' backlog sans the Ghibli films or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2