• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Awards Moves to Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
Relative to SHD and Los Nido, people should be asking "why must the CRAA move to Japan"? There is a section of Japanese creatives that feel popularity outside Japan is good and should be fostered and since the Japanese mainstream still consider things American "cool" (why English inserted in songs, etc) the CRAA being in the US where it started and involving global contributors seems like validation of that and a reason for it to continue as it was.

If the CRAA continues in that vein, just being held in Japan would bring the benefits of easier access mentioned. But is that enough to make the move and will it have a negative impact on foreign interest (or do we care)? With Cool Japan possibly being defunct, I wonder if the interest in international appeal is waning...

Just so you don't get the wrong idea, I say "good riddance and good luck".
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
If the CRAA continues in that vein, just being held in Japan would bring the benefits of easier access mentioned. But is that enough to make the move and will it have a negative impact on foreign interest (or do we care)? With Cool Japan possibly being defunct, I wonder if the interest in international appeal is waning...

As far as I'm aware CRAA was always an online thing. I don't see how it would be negatively impacted if the voting part stays online and available for all regions, simply by them moving the ceremony itself to Japan. Crunchyroll as a service was never relevant in Japan, still isn't, for obvious reasons, so it's not like they're taking CRAA to Japan because foreigners are not interested in it anymore, if that was the case they'd simply stop doing it.

Again, this decision is obviously based on logistics and monetary circumstances. CRAA being about anime, the people involved are mostly physically in Japan, and this way it's way easier and cheaper to turn CRAA into an event than if they had to fly these people to somewhere else, pay for accommodation, etc. never mind covid-related restrictions in Japan and elsewhere which are impossible to predict. Sure, they could keep it in the US and do some half-baked Zoom thing nobody would give a damn about, or get American industry people as guests, but let's face it, Americans may care about US anime industry people but most of the world doesn't. What most interiational viewers want is the Japanese industry people, who are in Japan.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
... will it have a negative impact on foreign interest (or do we care)? With Cool Japan possibly being defunct, I wonder if the interest in international appeal is waning...
...Crunchyroll as a service was never relevant in Japan, still isn't, for obvious reasons, so it's not like they're taking CRAA to Japan because foreigners are not interested in it anymore, if that was the case they'd simply stop doing it.,,,,
Thank you, I think you hit the nail on the head. This is a way to make CR/CRAA relevant in Japan and maybe get market share (?). I confused my wording earlier, I didn't mean international interest would drop just because of this but that it might be a sign that Sony's interest in anime having an international presence was dropping. Which would be an odd view given that last year's AJA report showed international anime sales overtook the domestic market sales for the first time.

So it would make sense that they intend to keep the international outreach element and make it more "native" than foreign. Which also highlights why the antitrust suits with Sony/CR/Funi didn't succeed. Sony is a Japanese company moving to consolidate control of products made in Japan, dubbing being the grey area of US legal interest.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This really should have quit after their disastrous and embarrassing 1st awards show.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Personally wish they'd overhaul their judging/nomination system first, but who knows, maybe they will and it's not like those changes would be announced publically or anything. Curious if CR wants to try to legitimize their show even more than before by having more JPN guests present and possibly in-person acceptances.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
For anyone else who is interested, http://rankstker.net/ has some aggregated scores on seasonal anime from Japan and MAL. It's quite interesting to see some shows rise and fall.

That's the site I usually use to see what's popular.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 am Reply with quote
Wait.... Is Crunchyroll even available in Japan?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2