• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Everything Happens So Much

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
I hope they release the full cast list too, since I can't wait to see how Nami'll look in this remake.

but I wonder if they'll include Lumina as a romanceable character...

The Japanese site actually already has some art of the characters (marriage candidates and some regular villagers), which confirms Lumina being romancable. I kinda wish they added another male candidate to even it out, since they did two new candidates in FOMT. Maybe they'll come later?
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Suxinn wrote:
I hope they release the full cast list too, since I can't wait to see how Nami'll look in this remake.

The Japanese site actually already has some art of the characters (marriage candidates and some regular villagers), which confirms Lumina being romancable. I kinda wish they added another male candidate to even it out, since they did two new candidates in FOMT. Maybe they'll come later?

The trailer seems to show that Cody is now a bachelor.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I lived through the period of time where Japanese games were a problem, and pundits everywhere clucked their tongues and stroked their beards as they pondered what was to be done with those weird JRPGs with their blue-haired protagonists and their "power of friendship" nonsense..

I was actually thinking the other day in the wake of the Direct (due to all the color) about how calling something "anime" is really just code for "Japanese" but of course outlets couldn't say the latter without being called out for it. The 7th gen had so much dogwhistling going on it's a really uncomfortable and shameful period to look back at. Anyway

-Farming sims: I say let's go nuts and have as many farming sims as we can. Hell, let's make a Zelda farming sim where Malon manages Lon-Lon Ranch and occasionally has to fight off troublesome bokoblins.

-Octopath II: Glad to see HD-2D is still going strong.

-Fire Emblem: Looks like after the harrowing Fodlan Saga IntSys were like "Let's do something silly for a change!" Of course, the "old guard" will cringe while most FE fans make Colgate jokes about Alear. I refer to the female version as "Pepsi-chan" (complete with Pepsiman style jingle)

-Xenoblade 3: Basically Poppi 5.0. She looks cool, especially since the game is lacking in tank classes (block tanks continue to lag behind their dodge-tank counterparts in the Xeno series)

-Tears of the Kingdom: Nintendo be teasing. To be honest, I've had a theory that the Twili were involved ever since the reveal trailer because that shade of green is something only with same. Same with the tribal patterns on Link's arm and now the logo. The SS references are pretty obvious, but I get the feeling they're going a Twilight Princess route as well; it creates an interesting above and below internal contrast. Tears were also items in both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess and Nintendo did say they held back on the title reveal because it might reveal too much of the story, so there's that. They have eight months until release, so no doubt they're gonna show some big reveals before then.

-Like A Dragon and Ronin: And thus we bid farewell to our localized title. I find it funny how Ubisoft reveals their Japanese Assassin's Creed and then SEGA and Koei-Tecmo go "Hold our shochu" then reveal a remake of Ishin and a brand new RPG, both set during the Bakumatsu and they look way more interesting. Ouch

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:14 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I was actually thinking the other day in the wake of the Direct (due to all the color) about how calling something "anime" is really just code for "Japanese" but of course outlets couldn't say the latter without being called for it. The 7th gen had so much dogwhistling going on it's a really uncomfortable and shameful period to look back at.

Outlets and NIntendo Youtubers who get irrationally upset when a Japanese company has anime games on their system. Speaking of which, someone should do a wellness check on Dunkey. At least Arlo got Pikmin 4.

Most exciting reveals for me from the Direct was a new Fire Emblem that actually looks fun, Xenoblade 3 robot girl and swimsuit DLC, Octopath 2 with an emphasis on character interaction this time, and Pikmin 4. I was not much of a fan of Three Houses more limited and restrictive setting and gameplay so I'm happy it seems Engage goes back to older titles in terms of those elements.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:26 am Reply with quote
Just a tip: 1867 is definetely NOT feudal. The period when Ryohma was alive (lave Tokugawa/Bakumatsu), refers to pretty much modern Japan, the reopenning and will lead straight into the Imperia era and the westernization of the country. It's just kinda ridiculous to call a period less than 50 years before the XXth century feudal! Heck, at this exact time period we are just four years away from the Belle Epóque in France and well past the use of machineguns and steam boats for war!

Hell, putting XIIIth century Japan (the period of the Mongol invasions of Ghost of Tsushima) and the XIXth century of Rise of The ronin and Ryuu ga Gotoku Isshin is like saying the Kingdom of Leão y Castela and XIXth Iberia are anywhere close in time! Or, in a way that's closer to you guys, that the period of the Crusades and the Post-Napoleonic world are 'basically the same'!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:37 am Reply with quote
There are now far more JRPGs on Switch than I'll ever be able to play (still wouldn't mind seeing Sakura Wars (2019) getting a much-deserved port, mind you), so I wouldn't complain if some other crowd got some love next year. Sports seems particularly weak on the platform --- due in no small part to the NFL and NHL's exclusive licensing policy and EA's adamant stance against Nintendo platforms --- so maybe that's something that deserves some attention in 2023.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:33 am Reply with quote
I hope Judgement coming to PC means the series will continue (with Yagami) after all, but even if not Ishin got me unbelievably hyped, plus the announcement of 8 and Gaiden. So much for retiring Kiryu though.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:38 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Just a tip: 1867 is definetely NOT feudal. The period when Ryohma was alive (lave Tokugawa/Bakumatsu), refers to pretty much modern Japan, the reopenning and will lead straight into the Imperia era and the westernization of the country. It's just kinda ridiculous to call a period less than 50 years before the XXth century feudal! Heck, at this exact time period we are just four years away from the Belle Epóque in France and well past the use of machineguns and steam boats for war!

"Feudal" refers to structure of the government during the time period, and the Shogunate was a form of Feudalism.

1867 is the very tail end of feudal Japan, just before the major reforms of the Meiji Restoration, but it is still feudal Japan
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

"Feudal" refers to structure of the government during the time period, and the Shogunate was a form of Feudalism.

1867 is the very tail end of feudal Japan, just before the major reforms of the Meiji Restoration, but it is still feudal Japan

Correct, the Tokugawa Shogunate officially ended in 1868 with the fall of Edo. Things were even in flux for a bit as they were trying to figure out the system of government they wanted to implement and it was the abolition of the han system in 1871 that truly ended feudalism in Japan.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
I was actually thinking the other day in the wake of the Direct (due to all the color) about how calling something "anime" is really just code for "Japanese" but of course outlets couldn't say the latter without being called for it.

Outlets and NIntendo Youtubers who get irrationally upset when a Japanese company has anime games on their system. Speaking of which, someone should do a wellness check on Dunkey.

I'd say most of the gaming press and Nintendo focused YouTubers are people who grew up playing Nintendo games during the NES and GameCube era, in those days Nintendo games weren't that overtly Japanese, I mean Mario is pretty cartoony, Zelda is a fantasy series (though BotW has a lot of Ghibli influences), Metroid has a western sci-fi feel (though some aspects from Metroid are inspired by the manga series Space Cobra), Star Fox was inspired by the Thunderbirds, F-Zero was inspired by western comics, and so on, some of Nintendo's more Japanese games like Fire Emblem were Japan only for many years. This isn't surprising as many Japanese games from the 80s and 90s were made to appeal to the west, Sonic is a clear example. But as time moved on and other Japanese media, like anime, became more popular, Japanese developers didn't have to change their games. It seems that most gaming communities, especially Nintendo fans, live in a bubble and don't seem to understand how the industry works, this week many gamers were surprised to know that Splatoon 3 broke sales records in Japan, but I remember reading some articles saying that Nintendo should focus more on games like Metroid, that they should revive series like Star Fox and F-Zero and that no one cares about Splatoon, this ignoring the fact that Splatoon 2 sold 13 million copies.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like, a lot: no less than 3 farm sims, and at least 6 JRPGs (one or two are also farm sims). And folks were rather amused by that. Me? I'm glad I'm finally eating well.

Amen!

Octopath Traveler 2, Fire Emblem Engage and Zelda: TOTK all have my attention.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

Hell, putting XIIIth century Japan (the period of the Mongol invasions of Ghost of Tsushima) and the XIXth century of Rise of The ronin and Ryuu ga Gotoku Isshin is like saying the Kingdom of Leão y Castela and XIXth Iberia are anywhere close in time! Or, in a way that's closer to you guys, that the period of the Crusades and the Post-Napoleonic world are 'basically the same'!

Uh any particular reason you’re using Roman numerals?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:29 am Reply with quote
Ni No Kuni, Persona 5 Royal, Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle, Guilty Gear Strive, Danganronpa, Eiyuden Chronicle, and FUGA all on Game Pass

Also, Hideo Kojima meets important people with this shirt Laughing

Suxinn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:05 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Suxinn wrote:

Oh, thanks for the heads up!

Seems like they're going with mostly PS2 designs then, considering that they're keeping messy haired Nami from PS2 instead of the original neat haired Nami. I'm more used to the latter, but I'm sure the former will grow on me,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2